stove

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Big Bear

stove

Post by Big Bear »

What do you guys out there have in a way of stoves.

I have one of those hexy stoves. Has served me well in the past but was wondering if I could save the space/weight by using something else.(most of the weight being in the replacement tabs)
Do not rely on the government for anything, especially your survival
Devonian

Re: stove

Post by Devonian »

Either a small gas stove or this:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10595
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I like those wood burners, like the kelly kettle type thing, you may have a bit of bulk in some ways but when you get there your fuel is free, and also low impact/profile, to do the same amount of cooking on an open fire would make a bigger dent in the firewood supply.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
QUAID

Post by QUAID »

Devonians link to a stove looks quite good.
I would use the trusty old hexi stove - served me well for over 25 years.
Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi »

I have and use the woodburning stove purely because my prepping centers around INCH and taking a gas, hex or liquid fuel stove is only going to last for as long as your fuel does.
Having said that though, I do pack a hex stove with the intention of using that until the tablets are exhausted. Then it will be ditched.
My prepping consists of bugging out by bicycle so any comments are likely to be based on that scenario.
Bad Wombat

Post by Bad Wombat »

Something very like Devonian's woodgas stove is available on ebay for £20: Woodgas stoves on ebay. Can't beat that for a bargain. I have the exact one in Devonian's link, plus a flat style gas butane canister stove, E.g. Amazon Butane Stove and an MSR Pocket Rocket. All these work very well in their chosen roles.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

2x alcohol stoves,
1x hexi block stove
1x camping gas stove briefcase type
and a few assorted small wood gas stoves for pellet fuel.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
hobo

Post by hobo »

What Nick said! Rule of 3 (well, 4).
Preferred ones are the wood gas - a fold out pocket one and this one http://wildstoves.co.uk/wood-gas-campin ... basic-kit/
janso

stove

Post by janso »

Hoipoloi wrote:I have and use the woodburning stove purely because my prepping centers around INCH and taking a gas, hex or liquid fuel stove is only going to last for as long as your fuel does.
Having said that though, I do pack a hex stove with the intention of using that until the tablets are exhausted. Then it will be ditched.
I wouldn't ditch the hexy stove mate; it's still a good foundation for using with natural fuel sources when the hexy runs out.

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!
Society has gotten to the point where everybody has a right but nobody has a responsibility
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

I have a little round single burner stove I bought 35 years ago, great potential but not thought out well. It has a 3 . 5 inch diameter
It has a cloth cord over rubber tube gas-to-inlet port which sits about 1 inch under the bottom of the cooking pot or pan being used, melting rubber methinks.
It's an excellent backpack burner if I make a little modification.
If I run the gas tube through some half inch pipe filled with some of my forge's heat retardant blanket it should be safe to use.

The other stove I use is the single burner campingaz cartridge case style also.
I am looking around for a good bag to carry the latter in plus a 2 or three spare gas canisters, ideas from anyone welcome ?

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack