rope

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Big Bear

rope

Post by Big Bear »

Hello all........

First of all, apologies for the near 5 months absence. Issues sorted and glad to be back.

Now to the nitty gritty.

I have come across rope in b&ms. Looks like the type used for climbing and is only a few quid. Anybody came across this. If so, is it good quality? Is there a way to test it's breaking strain(this is not mentioned on the packaging)

Cheers.
Do not rely on the government for anything, especially your survival
poppypiesdad

Re: rope

Post by poppypiesdad »

Seen it it looks like it , however if your looking for rope for safety's sake , go to a climbing shop and get propper rope etc , your only here once .

j
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

As pop's says, it's NOT climbing rope, good for other things, but not climbing related activities!
janso

rope

Post by janso »

What's b&ms??

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!
Society has gotten to the point where everybody has a right but nobody has a responsibility
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

janso wrote:What's b&ms??

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!
Cheapo shop, bit like Poundstretcher
bob the builder

Post by bob the builder »

It's def not suitable for climbing but useful for other things. If you want climbing equipment for everyone's safety please buy the proper climbing equipment and I would probably say new stuff as you don't know the history of used stuff
Not planning for the end of the world just to survive till normality resumes, while sticking to the scout moto be prepared!

Still considering do I want to survive the end of the world or deck chair on the front lawn with a cold beer?
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Big Bear wrote:Hello all........

First of all, apologies for the near 5 months absence. Issues sorted and glad to be back.

Hello back ;)
Now to the nitty gritty.

I have come across rope in b&ms. Looks like the type used for climbing and is only a few quid. Anybody came across this. If so, is it good quality? Is there a way to test it's breaking strain(this is not mentioned on the packaging)

Cheers.
So a braided outer sheath with a bunch of strands inside (like overgrown paracord) ?

It'll be a nice rope for knotting and tying stuff to other stuff, probably fairly good as a boat line (for non-critical jobs like handling and heaving.)
But, and its a big But, if theres no BS or Safe Working Load listed is probably untested (or came up sub-par when tested). Don't use it for any life critical job.

Tarp ridgelines, hammock slings (unless you pitch halfway up a cliff), gear hauling, cargo tie-downs or just to have a "handy bit of rope" by all means yes.

But don't trust human life to something you bought in a cheapjack shop
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi »

ForgeCorvus wrote: So a braided outer sheath with a bunch of strands inside (like overgrown paracord) ?
The cheap 'professional looking' rope that I've seen (and have a coil of) is a braided sheath with polystyrene inner core. I'd only use it for tying a tarp down when covering something up.

B&M http://www.bmstores.co.uk/
My prepping consists of bugging out by bicycle so any comments are likely to be based on that scenario.
janso

rope

Post by janso »

Definitely not manufactured for any human weight bearing activities! It would be ok for a general line to use for everyday stuff but it's breaking strain is around 0 in my opinion; it probably wouldn't stand up to much abuse, might be ok for tarps and tentage but I reckon it'll definitely lose strength from being taut.
Make sure it's seggregated for non important use if you do make a purchase...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Society has gotten to the point where everybody has a right but nobody has a responsibility
Big Bear

Post by Big Bear »

Many thanks guys.
Do not rely on the government for anything, especially your survival