Planning Permission

Homes and Retreats
taylor94

Planning Permission

Post by taylor94 »

Me and my partner have been talking about the show "Doomsday preppers". Been watching it to get ideas on how to prep etc.

I know the laws in the US are different than over here. But one thing I was wondering about was these underground bunkers.

My dad has a few of those shipping containers he bought for storing some of his stuff years ago. This was all a hypothetical discussion.

I know you need planning permission for building something that has height above 8 feet. But what if you were building something underground. Would I need planning permission to build and underground bunker on my stretch of land?

As far as I know planning permission is needed if building upwards, would I need it for building downward?

Just a hypothetical scenario I was curious about.

:)

Thanks

Darren
Prepper in Training. :P

Darren Taylor
Briggs

Re: Planning Permission

Post by Briggs »

1) Speak to your local planning office for advice. There is no fee for asking preliminary questions
2) Containers appear to be ideal but they will not be watertight underground and the roof is not load bearing - you cannot simply backfill, it will leak and the roof will collapse. There are a many posts on here about containers as bunkers
3) Live in one above ground for a week and then plan how to overcome the space limitations, ventilation and the onset of claustrophobia
4) If you do decide to do it, I'd recommend one entrance and a separate exit

I have one to rent out if you want to try it....
I recently experienced Plymouth City centre so that's why I prep.
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

I used to work as a design engineer in the water industry and we could construct storage tanks and pumping stations etc underground without planning permission, the only time planning was needed was for the little Green GRP control kiosks which were placed at ground level.

So no if it is completely underground, planning permission is not required.
mallie99

Post by mallie99 »

Briggs wrote:2) Containers appear to be ideal but they will not be watertight underground and the roof is not load bearing - you cannot simply backfill, it will leak and the roof will collapse. There are a many posts on here about containers as bunkers
I was just thinking last night about if that would work...
Entirely certain that nothing is certain

Briggs

Post by Briggs »

mallie99 wrote:
Briggs wrote:2) Containers appear to be ideal but they will not be watertight underground and the roof is not load bearing - you cannot simply backfill, it will leak and the roof will collapse. There are a many posts on here about containers as bunkers
I was just thinking last night about if that would work...
Containers are fantastic bits of kit, I love mine but they do have their limitations and a few design flaws when it comes to living accommodation.
I recently experienced Plymouth City centre so that's why I prep.
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

It annoyed me greatly when Mythbusters buried a shipping container to use in place of a German WWII command bunker, it is simply not the same! Grrr

/rant
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

You could also use the big 2.4m or 3m diameter plastic drain pipes, no problems or concerns with corrosion then or structual stability, and you can purchase preformed manhole sections complete with ladders to provide access.......

http://www.weholite.co.uk/
Partimehero

Post by Partimehero »

taylor94 wrote:Me and my partner have been talking about the show "Doomsday preppers". Been watching it to get ideas on how to prep etc.

I know the laws in the US are different than over here. But one thing I was wondering about was these underground bunkers.

My dad has a few of those shipping containers he bought for storing some of his stuff years ago. This was all a hypothetical discussion.

I know you need planning permission for building something that has height above 8 feet. But what if you were building something underground. Would I need planning permission to build and underground bunker on my stretch of land?

As far as I know planning permission is needed if building upwards, would I need it for building downward?

Just a hypothetical scenario I was curious about.

:)

Thanks

Darren
I've dealt with numerous local authorities and the definitive answer to your question about planning permission is that NOBODY IN AUTHORITY CAN GIVE A DEFINITIVE ANSWER!

Sounds strange but it's a grey area. With regard to building regs, protective shelters are exempt from building control if they meet certain criteria:

EXEMPT BUILDINGS AND WORK

CLASS VI
Small detached buildings

1. A detached single storey building, having a floor area which does not exceed 30m2, which contains no sleeping accommodation and is a building—
(a)no point of which is less than one metre from the boundary of its curtilage; or
(b)which is constructed substantially of non-combustible material.
2. A detached building designed and intended to shelter people from the effects of nuclear, chemical or conventional weapons, and not used for any other purpose, if—
(a)its floor area does not exceed 30m2; and
(b)the excavation for the building is no closer to any exposed part of another building or structure than a distance equal to the depth of the excavation plus one metre.
3. A detached building, having a floor area which does not exceed 15m2, which contains no sleeping accommodation.

BUT with regards to planning permission ALWAYS assume it's required. What you want to install is definitely in the grey area I mentioned. It all depends on the area you're in, the local authority you fall under and who deals with your planning submission I'm afraid. If you get a nice person dealing with it then you're lucky. At the end of the day each planning submission will be judged on its own merit.

As a shelter would be underground, It wouldn't impact the local environment once completed. But as an excavation of some kind is involved, it's classed as a development. One planning officer may approve another may not. I've had more successful applications than failed thankfully.

But WITHOUT putting ideas into your head, just remember that once you apply for planning, the submission (including your name, address, proposed works, where the works will be blah blah blah) will be in the public domain. Everyone will know what you're proposing..... Is your land hidden?
In the long run, the greatest weapon of mass destruction is stupidity

http://blueprintsaferooms.co.uk
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Read this first, http://graywolfsurvival.com/2625/why-yo ... tf-bunker/ it may save your Life.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Partimehero

Post by Partimehero »

Hamradioop wrote:Read this first, http://graywolfsurvival.com/2625/why-yo ... tf-bunker/ it may save your Life.
Good link. If you're going to bury something, do it correctly first time. As mentioned plenty of times here before, a shipping container ONLY bears weight on the corners.

The sides can cave in as they're only 2 or 3mm thick. It could distort like a tin can.... Literally! I've seen it happen. Earth is heavy especially when wet. Clay is even heavier! People ask me to build a concrete surround first, then place the container inside but what's the point? It's like building a shelter within a shelter. Too much time is taken doing double the work.

First of all you need to decide what threat level you perceive. That will determine what protective enclosure to go for. For example, If you're anticipating something that could lead to a breakdown in society then I'd go for a reinforced enclose of some kind whether it's above ground or below ground. If you're anticipating a nuclear strike then you'll have to go 3 metres below.

Which ever option is right for you, ensure there is enough room for all your gear.
In the long run, the greatest weapon of mass destruction is stupidity

http://blueprintsaferooms.co.uk