What are you dehydrating?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
steptoe

Re: What are you dehydrating?

Post by steptoe »

I like to do jerky and biltong in the dehydartor lol yup but it does not last long if i do lol .
The wife loves strawberries and apple cinnamon rings done in the dehydrator , the apple rings i use the old apple core and ring machine and then just a dust of cinnamon before they go in i can tell if the wife was the checker because there are empty spaces on the trays lol .

Do you do fruit leathers at all jenny omg we made a batch one year but well lets say we ate them to fast , i had never thought of doing onions and now that has put me on a path we do dry herbs in it but never done onion i think because we just had sacks ofthem hanging in the garage but now i think of it hmmm

I will be doing a huge batch of pickled garlic soon when i can stand for any length of time on this ankle
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

steptoe wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:48 pm I like to do jerky and biltong in the dehydartor lol yup but it does not last long if i do lol .
The wife loves strawberries and apple cinnamon rings done in the dehydrator , the apple rings i use the old apple core and ring machine and then just a dust of cinnamon before they go in i can tell if the wife was the checker because there are empty spaces on the trays lol .

Do you do fruit leathers at all jenny omg we made a batch one year but well lets say we ate them to fast , i had never thought of doing onions and now that has put me on a path we do dry herbs in it but never done onion i think because we just had sacks ofthem hanging in the garage but now i think of it hmmm

I will be doing a huge batch of pickled garlic soon when i can stand for any length of time on this ankle
Not fruit leathers as such. Lots of sliced oranges, pears and apples. They never go properly brittle and get eaten very quickly indeed. Orange packs so much flavour, they are like home made opal fruits :)

Onions and carrots are my go-to + sliced garlic. I barely use fresh ones now. Just buy a sack and process them. Do onion and garlic out in the shed or garage, as the beautiful smell does linger.
Yellow sticker veg gets done as and when, too.

It used to be that onions and carrots were too cheap to be worth bothering about, but onion prices are now silly.

Come December, the supermarket 19p offers get snapped up and dehydrated to last all year.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:00 pm
steptoe wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:48 pm I like to do jerky and biltong in the dehydartor lol yup but it does not last long if i do lol .

Not fruit leathers as such. Lots of sliced oranges, pears and apples. They never go properly brittle and get eaten very quickly indeed. Orange packs so much flavour, they are like home made opal fruits :)

Onions and carrots are my go-to + sliced garlic. I barely use fresh ones now. Just buy a sack and process them. Do onion and garlic out in the shed or garage, as the beautiful smell does linger.

It used to be that onions and carrots were too cheap to be worth bothering about, but onion prices are now silly.

Come December, the supermarket 19p offers get snapped up and dehydrated to last all year.
Hi jen well i just seen lil post about a dry food store we use to use one in northampton but it got to expensive hence i got in to dehydrating but prices of dry stuff seem cheaper than buying the food and running the dehydrator , i am going to be stocking some of the mix dry veg on that site and break it in to 100g portion for the 2 of us and if that is to much then 5ogr it will be trial and error on portion size but i have ordered 2 kg to start with then vacuum down and oxygen and moisture absorber should be good for years plus they thne go in air tight buckets with moisture and oxy absorbers so double seal really .

If i canb get fruit cheap or other goods i might run the dehydrator bare in mind i have 2 now lol i just brought a new upto date one lol , i like the idea of the dried leeks to on that site as i love leeks in a stew and leek in a dumpling yum , i also and going ot try the wartime steamed leeks pudding omg with creamy mash and gravy i might throw some bacon in the pudding we shall see .
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

steptoe wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:44 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:00 pm Not fruit leathers as such. Lots of sliced oranges, pears and apples. They never go properly brittle and get eaten very quickly indeed. Orange packs so much flavour, they are like home made opal fruits :)

Hi jen well i just seen lil post about a dry food store we use to use one in northampton but it got to expensive hence i got in to dehydrating but prices of dry stuff seem cheaper than buying the food and running the dehydrator , i am going to be stocking some of the mix dry veg on that site and break it in to 100g portion for the 2 of us and if that is to much then 5ogr it will be trial and error on portion size but i have ordered 2 kg to start with then vacuum down and oxygen and moisture absorber should be good for years plus they thne go in air tight buckets with moisture and oxy absorbers so double seal really .

If i canb get fruit cheap or other goods i might run the dehydrator bare in mind i have 2 now lol i just brought a new upto date one lol , i like the idea of the dried leeks to on that site as i love leeks in a stew and leek in a dumpling yum , i also and going ot try the wartime steamed leeks pudding omg with creamy mash and gravy i might throw some bacon in the pudding we shall see .
That dried food place is probably freeze drying which is better than we can do. Probably pretty good value, since you are getting more kilos per kilo.
If you do dehydrate leeks, I recommend blanching them. One of the few things where my dehydrating went badly. Mine went sort of tobacco coloured and were not appetising.
I think 100g portions will be generous. I'd suggest 75g. But let us know how it goes for you.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

steptoe

Post by steptoe »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:54 pm
That dried food place is probably freeze drying which is better than we can do. Probably pretty good value, since you are getting more kilos per kilo.
If you do dehydrate leeks, I recommend blanching them. One of the few things where my dehydrating went badly. Mine went sort of tobacco coloured and were not appetising.
I think 100g portions will be generous. I'd suggest 75g. But let us know how it goes for you.
Hi jen i will let you know as i say looking at long term veggies to now days i am growing alot more than i would have liked but my wife said well we can share to neighbours with kids and also help others in the street if veggies do get hard to get , lol my 12 toms have become 30 and 4 cues are now 12 lol and the carrots are now 3 20ft rows same for parsnips and swede and the leeks i have potted them on to the polytunnel i got 200 lol don't ask i also did the welsh onions and 150 garlic lol again what we can not store will be shares .

I love to dehydrate apple rings as we flavour with a dash of cinnamon but i also love strawberries dried and hte alpine strawberries do not store so when we get say 1/2 lb at a time in summer i try and dehydrate some and i can say better than any bubble gum they burst in to flavour when they hit the moisture in the mouth .

I have a large older dehydrator i got fro mthe states years ago but just got another off amazon as i say want to store as much as we can , i get alot of chive and wild garlic so i am going to tyr and dehydrate the wild garlic leaves and then powder to see how good that tastes lol , i know i keep promising to start taking it easy but then my brain said look use all the time you have because tomorrow may not come lol .

On that note had to go to the hospital called in by cardio don't ask so the guy in charge the dr said hi i was meant to review you ever 6 month but you got missed the last 2 years how you been lol i said well and told him all the issues and so on and here is his answer , it was to why i still blakc out why the heart still stop and the pacer misses it and well a number of issues but he said well what do you think could be doing it as i can not find a reason lol and my wife looked and said you are for real or are you joking he said nope we can not understand how your body is closing down lol , and then said well i guess your here and alive so that must be a bonus for you i just laughed nad said ok doc well call me in another 2 years and left lol .

Oh btw jen i can recommend using a guy on the bay called crillys for seed it is always fresh and the prices are the best and the more packets you but the cheaper i use the deree brand now and am getting great results on all the seeds .
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

steptoe wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:20 pm
Hi jen i will let you know as i say looking at long term veggies to now days i am growing alot more than i would have liked but my wife said well we can share to neighbours with kids and also help others in the street if veggies do get hard to get , lol my 12 toms have become 30 and 4 cues are now 12 lol and the carrots are now 3 20ft rows same for parsnips and swede and the leeks i have potted them on to the polytunnel i got 200 lol don't ask i also did the welsh onions and 150 garlic lol again what we can not store will be shares .

I love to dehydrate apple rings as we flavour with a dash of cinnamon but i also love strawberries dried and hte alpine strawberries do not store so when we get say 1/2 lb at a time in summer i try and dehydrate some and i can say better than any bubble gum they burst in to flavour when they hit the moisture in the mouth .

I have a large older dehydrator i got fro mthe states years ago but just got another off amazon as i say want to store as much as we can , i get alot of chive and wild garlic so i am going to tyr and dehydrate the wild garlic leaves and then powder to see how good that tastes lol , i know i keep promising to start taking it easy but then my brain said look use all the time you have because tomorrow may not come lol .

On that note had to go to the hospital called in by cardio don't ask so the guy in charge the dr said hi i was meant to review you ever 6 month but you got missed the last 2 years how you been lol i said well and told him all the issues and so on and here is his answer , it was to why i still blakc out why the heart still stop and the pacer misses it and well a number of issues but he said well what do you think could be doing it as i can not find a reason lol and my wife looked and said you are for real or are you joking he said nope we can not understand how your body is closing down lol , and then said well i guess your here and alive so that must be a bonus for you i just laughed nad said ok doc well call me in another 2 years and left lol .

Oh btw jen i can recommend using a guy on the bay called crillys for seed it is always fresh and the prices are the best and the more packets you but the cheaper i use the deree brand now and am getting great results on all the seeds .
Thanks,
I'm super jealous of your food growing prowess. I can only aspire to be a fraction as productive. Heck, if I could be self sufficient in just one food (other than courgette) I'd be made up.

steptoe

Post by steptoe »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:02 pm

Thanks,
I'm super jealous of your food growing prowess. I can only aspire to be a fraction as productive. Heck, if I could be self sufficient in just one food (other than courgette) I'd be made up.
Hi jen we all do what we can and i got in to growing more just because the flavour was so much better , on to dehydrating again lol .

I am going to be doing as much as i can i will try and do pictures but i am not goodd with the camera and if the wife does them lol i end up headless i kid you not me knealing down hold a big carp and she managed to get me but headless lol we always joke we are hopeless with tech lol , i can say you will grow more in time honest when we got our first allotment we were over the moon with a couple of spuds and a punt of raspberries lol by year 3 omg we had really got in to having a system , then i got in to the grow lights and well long story short we took off .

Dehydrating is so much fun to i got in to that because of the fruit leathers and then we just dried verything and then i started doing my own jerky and blitong and omg the difference again between your own and shop brought as i use none of the yucky stuff in mine just herbs and spices and well it was lovely stuff , have you ever tried ot do parma ham now that is fun i did ours in cling film in the fridge with the salt and rub , then i air dried it in the doorway in our flat for 18 months omg the dog use to look at me like hey one day i will get it lol , after 18 months i trimmed off the white mould as i call it and omg the taste again compared to shop stuff .

I am going to buy in lots of pre dried veggies to have a stock as i say if the shtf i want to be able to make meals that you are not just surviving on but thrivign and enjoying .
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

The dried apple rings have to be hidden if I want to store any - even though they are cookers. I dont try to dehydrate onion when I can get a kilo of flaked onion from the big river. Ditto tomato powder and mixed mushrooms. The wholefoods brand is good but not guaranteed gluten free so is a risk in this househild, I also use the Tongmaster and Old India products and have found them good.
My next dehydrator experiments may be jerky but I am getting wary of the energy costs of the dehydrator so am thinking about how long things will take to "do" as part of the overall cost now. I tried a solar dehydrator last summer which was cobbled tgether and did not work that well but may try again for the summer stuff.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

GillyBee wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:05 am The dried apple rings have to be hidden if I want to store any - even though they are cookers. I dont try to dehydrate onion when I can get a kilo of flaked onion from the big river. Ditto tomato powder and mixed mushrooms. The wholefoods brand is good but not guaranteed gluten free so is a risk in this household, I also use the Tongmaster and Old India products and have found them good.
My next dehydrator experiments may be jerky but I am getting wary of the energy costs of the dehydrator so am thinking about how long things will take to "do" as part of the overall cost now. I tried a solar dehydrator last summer which was cobbled tgether and did not work that well but may try again for the summer stuff.
Ridiculous, isn't it, that we have to worry about the running costs of something that used to cost pennies.
I think I'm going to lag mine. It's thin matt black plastic which screams of energy radiated waste.
I might even modify it so the air travels through it slower. At the very least, I'll bring it in from the garage so it warms the room a bit.

Omega

Post by Omega »

I am dehydrating sourdough bread at the moment - will make kvas out of it later