What are you dehydrating?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
GillyBee

Re: What are you dehydrating?

Post by GillyBee »

I havent dehydrated much this year - I just wasnt really getting surplus of the right sort of things at the right price. But having said that I put some saffron and thyme in to dry the other day and realised I am almost ready to run the dehydrator for free thanks to the solar panels that have finally been installed. Just need one more cable installed to take the invertor to the correct shed and I will be up and running.
That will help the cost benefit calculations add up again.
Omega

Post by Omega »

I now dehydrate mainly bread - will soon start making non-alcoholic kvas, great after sauna :)
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Omega wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:36 pm I now dehydrate mainly bread - will soon start making non-alcoholic kvas, great after sauna :)
Please tell me more?
I've dehydrated bread to make great breadcrumbs, but the KVass idea intrigues me. Mind you, can it be alcoholic?
I can get almost unlimited bread for dehydrating, if there is a route to alcohol :)

This I've got to try !
https://brewqueen.com/how-to-make-non-alcoholic-kvass/
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Omega

Post by Omega »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:59 pm
Please tell me more?
I've dehydrated bread to make great breadcrumbs, but the KVass idea intrigues me. Mind you, can it be alcoholic?
I can get almost unlimited bread for dehydrating, if there is a route to alcohol :)

This I've got to try !
https://brewqueen.com/how-to-make-non-alcoholic-kvass/
I follow similar recipe, except I do not use raisins or lemon, so my main ingredients are dried rye bread (you can use any other bread, but rye bread makes it notably tastier), sugar, water and normal bread yeast. I usually buy rye bread in Polish shops, now they even sell frozen bread, which allows me to buy a lot in one go and store in my freezer

You can make it alcoholic if you ferment it for longer and add more sugar :D . However, then it is just an exceptionally cheap beer :shock: . I make my own IPA and wine, so I don't make alcoholic kvass :)
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

A question on dehydrating bell peppers....

My jar of dehydrated peppers had gone black. Not exactly spoiled, but certainly sub-par, so I slung them. I'd never been satisfied that they were dry enough.

This week Lidl had them at £1.90 per kilo. so I bought, chopped and dehydrated. after 12 hours at 55C they were not brittle so I left them in, as it happens for another 12 hours. But they still are not brittle. I rather expect them to go black over the next year or two.

So. Should I have blanched them? Would they ever go bone dry brittle? What could I have done better?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong