Hello I seem to be a prepper

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
grenfell

Hello I seem to be a prepper

Post by grenfell »

Hello.
I've visited and lurked here for a while now and decided to finally sign up. In all honesty I hadn't really heard of the term prepping until the first series to be shown on National Geographic last year. Ok so I had a vague idea of some oddjobs building bunkers and filling them with guns across the pond but the majority on the tv programme seemed perfectly normal rational people who talked a good deal of sense and I found myself agreeing with a lot of it.
The more I watched the more I realised that I was also alike in other aspects too (no bunkers or guns mind).
I've always been self reliant , careful and just slightly out of key with the "one day at a time , spend/use/waste it now and sod the future" majority of the population. I'm skilled in several things, I grow a lot of our own food, I know how to forage and scavenge, can make clothes and have made boots, I'm a member of a self sufficienty forum and also a re-enactment society . I've made and shoot longbows and will have a go at most things.
Myself and the other half are also prudent with money too, to the extent that when my sister in law divorced and was left with pretty much nothing and no home we were able to take her in and later fund nearly three quarters of the price of a house for her, and no we aren't mega earners either I'm a carpenter and my wife was a secutary at the time.My sister in law , however, still even after that can't see any sense in prepping.
I've also realised that my parents were in their own way of a similiar mind. They too grew their own food and kept a well stocked pantry. There were also stocks of many other things from tools, soap, candles, blankets and so on.
I don't suspect that I'll be the most prolific of posters but I hope that I'll be accepted and made to feel welcome.
pseudonym

Re: Hello I seem to be a prepper

Post by pseudonym »

Now that's a proper intro, thanks. :mrgreen:

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

If you can get past the "i want another civil war" mentality that our cousins across the pond have and get on to what might actually happen in the normal course of a human's life especially when jobs are harder to come by, money is tight, and so on, more people are probably in this category then you might think.

Its just a question of basic safety and learning to live better, have better household management and the like.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Laziji

Post by Laziji »

Hi there Grenfell

I just joined too so glad to meet you here

I think the main thing to do is just make prepping a part of your life. I dont think you have to go all out bunker building etc but just keep it in the back of your mind buzzing away at all times.

The other is like you said to use all of your skills to your advantage and you do seem to have a lot of them.

Keep in touch and keep your chin up mate

Laziji
tigs

Post by tigs »

hello and welcome
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

nickdutch wrote:If you can get past the "i want another civil war" mentality.
Yes strange thing to want is another civil war.I always think it's a strange term anyway, there's nothing civil about war. I mentioned that I'd re-enacted and one lesson to be got out of history is the sheer pointlessness of most warfare. Thousands upon thousands die just to change the head on a coin.
Not to say that I'm against defending oneself and family in any serious situation.
Thanks for the replies and hopefully any questions I have won't sound too daft or inane.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

hello and welcome. You are quite correct there is no such thing as a civil War a real oxymoron
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
unsure

Post by unsure »

hello and welcome . you do seem to have your head on the right way round . :lol:

if like most , you prep for the likely events ,unemployment ect it does keep things real .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Thanks unsure, 2011-12 wasn't the best of periods for me. I experienced unemployment twice in a six month period and lost both parents in the space of a month in the same time. As I mentioned earlier the time the term prepper wasn't known to me then but we had made provisions which saw us through it and even allowed us to see the proverbial silver lining of it all.
Catctus Max

Post by Catctus Max »

Just read this.

Could really use a guide on Bow making plus arrows, I have never quite got it right :(
http://www.the200club.com - Healthy living to your door. Long life health products and supplements, be prepared.