bore holes

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
23pioneer

bore holes

Post by 23pioneer »

Has anyone on here had a bore hole done if so could you share your experiences on what went right and what went wrong, what type of pump you use ect...thankyou
tigs

Re: bore holes

Post by tigs »

we have on and are luck enough that its in a valley so dont require a pump , what went wrong ? nothing the team that drilled it knew what they where doing and had it all done in less than a day they only problem was the cost they are bloody expensive , drilling /lining etc . unforeseen expenses can depend on the type of rock or even clay they hit while drilling

one thing to remember is that they dont last for ever water tables can rise and drop leaving your bore hole dry
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
23pioneer

Post by 23pioneer »

thanks Tigs
TwoDo

Post by TwoDo »

I had a borehole done. Drilling rig turned up with one operator and the whole thing took two days - the guy had been doing it for years and clearly knew what he was up to. Thing kicked up massive (and I mean massive) clouds of dust - luckily the wind was blowing away from the neighbours on those days. The dust cloud did dampen to almost nothing once they hit water.

I live on the side of a hill fairly low down so I thought there would be no trouble hitting water. Not so, the operator had to go down about 250 feet before he found it. Finally drilled to 300 feet just to get enough of a sump for the pump to run. Then overnight the entire hole filled up to within about 6ft of the surface - some sort of artesian effect. This pleased me greatly - I can look in the top of the bore hole and see water - practically scoop it out with a spoon if I have to. I was also pleased that the bore hole did not turn into an artesian spring (I was worried about that) which would have meant I would have to have the borehole sealed somehow or with great difficulty and expense drain the water away.

When talking with the operator it turns out they don't much care how hard the rock is. They can drill it all. However if you are on sand it is a complete nightmare. The problem with sand is that it collapses back into the hole when they withdraw the drill to insert the liner so they have to take it in chunks. If you are on sand be sure to ask about this as it will add a lot of extra expense and almost certainly it will not be covered by the original quote.