Contemporary Rabbit Pie

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
lightningxl

Contemporary Rabbit Pie

Post by lightningxl »

Am in the fortunate position of having permission to shoot on a local smallholding they grow posh salad crops and micro herbs for restaurents - bunnies decimate the crop and profits...

This summer got me a nice 3/4 grown bunnie with my Lightning xl .22 layed in base of hedge and ambushed it as it made its way to the crops. Resting the rifle on my crossed shooting sticks the rabbit know nothing as the .22 pellet made a clean headshot kill. As an aid to the cooling process gutted in the field (keepkidneys chiefs treat)

Once home skined then portion in to leg - saddle - forequarters.

Make pastry 2/3 flour 1/3 butter food process till crumb then add scares tablespoon of water DO NOT kneed toughen pastry form in to ball cling wrap and rest in fridge.

Fry bacon or pork belly for added fat / moisture add half onion to soften (plus carrot optional) then add floured rabbit for 3 - 4 mins lightly brown.

add bottle of dry/med cider POACH ie don't boil simmer till meat pulls of the bone hour ish.

Strain/sieve liquer into seperate saucepan boil hard till reduced by 2/3rds volume.

Pick through carcess pull off good meat. Stock should now be cooled and thickened add both rabbit and bacon.

Roll pastry line pie dish add mixture top off with remaining pastry crimp and trim - piece lid with hole let steam out bake till brown and golden.....yum

PS- just remembered added Dukka - sort of egyption spice mix of ground nut herb and seeds plus garlic.
tigs

Re: Contemporary Rabbit Pie

Post by tigs »

sounds really nice
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
lightningxl

Post by lightningxl »

Yeah good meal esp with a chilled cider to wash it down...
Last edited by lightningxl on Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
KalPrep

Post by KalPrep »

Sounds fantastic to me. I need to ask around and see if any of the local farmers would give permission to take rabbits on their land. I love rabbit :)
lightningxl

Post by lightningxl »

Good luck Kalprep - i looked up local farmers using a organic food website - sent a proposal email offering free pest control and stating I had BASC insurance. Most replied saying they already had someone - guess i struck lucky...

Let me know if your successful.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

That's exactly how I make wabbit pie, minus the cider. :mrgreen:
gregpreston

Post by gregpreston »

another pain in the grass ( im good aint i) are pigeon the so called flying rat and sqirrels some posh name restaurants call it but i forget all make for easy targets with an air rifle either 22 0r 177 and plenty meat on a sqirrel not much on a pigeon but then theres so many of them about. personally i use a 177 as the pellet flies faster and although lighter i find more kills are taken than when using a 22 also a flat slug offers more of an impact than a sharp point slug. either rifle fitted with a scope and preferable a supressor or silencer makes for a quieter stalk. so happy hunting fellow preppers and sse wat best suits u.
lightningxl

Post by lightningxl »

gregpreston wrote:another pain in the grass ( im good aint i) are pigeon the so called flying rat and sqirrels some posh name restaurants call it but i forget all make for easy targets with an air rifle either 22 0r 177 and plenty meat on a sqirrel not much on a pigeon but then theres so many of them about. personally i use a 177 as the pellet flies faster and although lighter i find more kills are taken than when using a 22 also a flat slug offers more of an impact than a sharp point slug. either rifle fitted with a scope and preferable a supressor or silencer makes for a quieter stalk. so happy hunting fellow preppers and sse wat best suits u.

According to HFWhittingstall a restaurent in the New Forest offered squirel on the menu as flightless partridge...

Woodpigeon has plenty of good meat - tend to only shoot them in the summer as they are such a pest for the farmers. Wintertime they have a hard enough time surviving I personally leave them alone.
st3vi3

Post by st3vi3 »

Sounds good that. Can ya buy rabbit? (mayb silly question). Dont have a gun yet but on the list for this year. Been long time since had rabbit would love to try it again
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Yes you can buy wabbit :mrgreen: