store bought water

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
Arzosah

Re: store bought water

Post by Arzosah »

If you have a really good filter, like a Katadyn ceramic filter, wouldn't it be okay not to change the water every 6 months, as long as you run it through the filter?
maxilaura

Post by maxilaura »

Croesoswallt wrote:I'm currently picking up water from Sainburys - "Caledonian spring water" £1.09 for 5 litres.
I am also buying these, they are £1.05 at my sainsbug though. Have about 6 so far and am adding to them as I go.
Hardulph

Post by Hardulph »

Adding this to my "to do" list, will add some every week to my shopping list from now on.
Moony

Post by Moony »

Sainsbury's "basics" water is 19p or something. Water is water, at 19p for 2 ltr that can't even cover the cost of packaging it ! I have been tempted by branded water on offer, but its still way cheaper to go basics :D
I'm in Area 7 !
tigs

Post by tigs »

morrisons own brand water 17p for two liters
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
arnieh

Post by arnieh »

Can any one help, I've heard so many stories about the plastic drinking water bottles giving off toxins that can cause cancer etc I don't know what to believe, I don't know whether to start a store of water this way or not
skippy

Post by skippy »

There is some information out there about carcinogens being present in plastic bottles however these are not, according to what I read, able to leach into the stored water.
All "food safe" plastics are made from stabilised hydrocarbons to prevent just such an occurance.
Just make sure the containers are food safe and job done.

Skippy
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

A lot of the concern was about water stored in bottles in warm cars.
Like anything we store, it needs to be kept in the dark and fairly cool. Any water stored in clear bottles, if left in the light will go green.

Personally, I store normal tap water in washed out pop bottles. Just add a coupe of drops of plain bleach to sterilise the bottles and put fresh water in every 6 months or so.

If you've got the space you could go for something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000L-IBC-wat ... 19d5313afb
MickyP

Post by MickyP »

arnieh wrote:Can any one help, I've heard so many stories about the plastic drinking water bottles giving off toxins that can cause cancer etc I don't know what to believe, I don't know whether to start a store of water this way or not
Like others have said, the risks are tiny if you are using pop bottles or other plastic drinking containers like camping ones as they are food safe. You will get more carcinogens in your body from walking down the street breathing in the traffic and industrial fumes than from chemicals leeching into the water from food safe plastic.
arnieh

Post by arnieh »

Thanks to all re shop bought water and the bottles it comes in I think I will be getting some in until I can afford a better system, any thing is better than going with out.