Archery

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Arzosah

Archery

Post by Arzosah »

I've mentioned my private little social forum, that spun off from moneysavingexpert, and look what I found on there this morning:

http://www.archerygb.org/bigweekend
Ferricks

Re: Archery

Post by Ferricks »

looks good - at least I've discovered that archery isn't "big" in Scotland ;)
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

This isn't every archery club, not by a long chalk - there's no events in Sussex on this map, none at all - but there's maybe a dozen archery clubs, so don't let it put you off. I only realised that because I remember I'd walked by a huge archery event taking place in Lewes a few years ago, so I investigated a bit further after I posted this.
Ferricks

Post by Ferricks »

Brill - thank you!

I've been researching the location of local gun clubs for the OH, but I'm more interested in archery as an option.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Good stuff! I love the cooperation on this forum ...
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

It must be a fun thing to learn, but I am not sure of the usefulness of having a bow. its big and bulky, whereas, a slingshot or slingbow is more compact. Yep, i am still a bit of a slingshot nerd and rather proud of it LOL
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
junmist

Post by junmist »

nickdutch wrote:It must be a fun thing to learn, but I am not sure of the usefulness of having a bow. its big and bulky, whereas, a slingshot or slingbow is more compact. Yep, i am still a bit of a slingshot nerd and rather proud of it LOL
Slingbow had to reserch that nickdutch looks like fun I was thinking of getting a slingshot but haven't made the commitment but the slingbow looks like fun. Also found the blowgun also looks good anyone tried it. And um do you need a lot of blow :oops: :)
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
chillihound

Post by chillihound »

nickdutch wrote:It must be a fun thing to learn, but I am not sure of the usefulness of having a bow. its big and bulky, whereas, a slingshot or slingbow is more compact. Yep, i am still a bit of a slingshot nerd and rather proud of it LOL

a bow is bulky yes and is not a good choice of ranged weapon. however if you are a competent archer then you should never leave home without it. the bow is my first choice of weapon. I do think a crossbow may be a better alternative as its more compact and can easily be carried on your back. you could always choose the best option and get a firearms licence. there are many semi-auto .306 tactical rifles out there that are perfect for defence and hunting in a WROL/SHTF situation. although don't pull a rifle (or bow) on somebody while we still have a semi-civilized society lol
Always know where your towel is!!
Technik

Post by Technik »

The biggest advantage of a decent bow is distance and accuracy on that distance. But like you said nickdutch, the slingshot is more portable. By the way - could you recommend me a decent slingshot? I wanted to get the hunter slingshot by "fish" but he temporarily stopped trading and this were aparently THE best slingshots out there. That slingbow looks very interesting too - haven't seen that one yet.
Juvecu

Post by Juvecu »

How about making your own instead? It's a good skill to have should you need it. You just need branch in a Y or V shape, some leather for the pouch and something elastic. Red car tube works very well, but you mostly get black tube now. You can use black tube for the pouch if you want to (the black tube doesn't stretch as well as the red one.) You cut the tube for the elastic pull cords. Also cut the tube in thin strips and use that to tie the pull cords to the hand piece and pouch.

You can use various other rubber things to make the pull cords from too. Another thing that works very well is latex surgical tubing or spear gun tubing.

Happy to make a photo guide some time if it's something people would be interested in.