Bottling Rhubarb

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
preppingsu

Bottling Rhubarb

Post by preppingsu »

This is my first attempt at bottling (or canning) but is an easy fruit to do. I haven't got the proper equipment but it still worked.

I followed this recipe

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... g-preserve

I used jars with the metal clips and rubber seals because that is what I had.

Once the jars were full with rhubarb and syrup, I clipped the lids closed before emersing them in water in a perserving pan. I bought the water to a boil, boiled for a couple of minutes and then let it cool down.

I have checked the lids and they have sealed. They should last about a year in the dark. At least now I don't have to rely on my freezer.
Photo0394.jpg
Photo0394.jpg (37.2 KiB) Viewed 1656 times
Rosesandtea

Re: Bottling Rhubarb

Post by Rosesandtea »

Well done. I made jam with rhubarb this year and also some stewed rhubarb that I will add to other fruits for crumbles, etc.

It is a great feeling to know that you are not dependent on electricity to keep these things, isn't it!!
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

R&T, I've enjoyed perserving this way.
Here's a question you might be able to answer. I purchased some kliner jars with the metal clips and processed another 3 jars, however one jar has not sealed? Any ideas on why that might be? It was done at the same time and in the same way as the others and they are fine.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Well done! This is something I would like to learn. And I will.

You were right of course to question the terminology. We are British. So it is Bottling. In America it is " Canning". It is just summat that rattles me! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Rosesandtea

Post by Rosesandtea »

What immediately springs to mind is that there may have been a bit of something on the rubber or the glass which prevented a proper seal. Or a defect in the glass or rubber.
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

Rosesandtea wrote:What immediately springs to mind is that there may have been a bit of something on the rubber or the glass which prevented a proper seal. Or a defect in the glass or rubber.
Thank you. I'm making mini rhubarb pies today so once the jar is empty and clean i'll check it over.