Rats

Medical and Healthcare
nickdutch

Re: Rats

Post by nickdutch »

Then maybe rats are there to be farmed... hang on haven't we already had that discussion?
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
JohnRio

Post by JohnRio »

jansman wrote:When I was 17 I got Weils Disease through swimming in the river. It is caused by ingesting rat piss. I almost died. I lost 3stones in a week. And you are going to eat this sh*t?

No way.
That's why once you've killed your rat in a trap / with an air gun, you wear disposable latex gloves, press on the bladder to empty the piss away from you, and be sure not to spill the gut contents when gutting and skinning it, check the liver (should be dark red, no spotting) and then boil the hell out of that rat meat.

Boiling kills the vast majority of bacteria, and is the recommended treatement for water you think might be contaminated with Weil's disease. "Big bubbles no troubles" at least 5 full mins boil for pre-filtered (e.g. Milman bag) iffy water, at least 45mins boil for dodgy meat.

F'sure, chowing down on rats won't be your 1st, 2nd or even 5th choice, but when there's nothing else between you and starvation? The muscle tissue of rats is as edible as any other animal's.

Keep some curry powder in stock, I reckon.
bhakta

Post by bhakta »

I guess when conditions force folk around here to start eating rats they will be more concerned about starving to death than catching Weils disease ( " rat catchers yellows" ). Good advice though to handle dead rats with care if you have to and probably avoid swimming/wading in still water.
jansman

Post by jansman »

bhakta wrote:I guess when conditions force folk around here to start eating rats they will be more concerned about starving to death than catching Weils disease ( " rat catchers yellows" ). Good advice though to handle dead rats with care if you have to and probably avoid swimming/wading in still water.
I for one will not be considering them aas a foodsource. If things got THAT bad rats will be deeding on excrement and corpses-and you are what you eat. Also do not underestimate Weils Disease. I only lived because I was,to quote my Doctor"A very fit and healthy young man".

Also I was swimming in very fast water below a weir pool,so still water is a myth. Rats are scavengers,and many religions have dietary taboos about such things(Jews particularly-I have a Jewish friend who will not eat shellfish for the reason they are considered scavengers)and historically these taboos were fostered for hygiene reasons.

Anyhow,if you fancy a go at it there are plenty about. As my dear Brother puts it,"One mans's Wombat Pis* is another man's Real Ale!" :lol: :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
bhakta

Post by bhakta »

I appreciate you can catch it in moving water, but I suspect its less likely - you have to make a judgment on the water quality / rat population. As a kayaker and swimmer in English rivers I avoid certain waters. I let my kids swim in rivers and lakes. I wouldn't let them touch canal water. I am concerned that folk don't get to the point that they avoid rivers. Worse still some education authority might start banning kids kayaking.

I appreciate that after the trauma of catching a serious disease you are going to view things in a different light.

Looking up the specific host info I hadn't realised their are other hosts....."Leptospirosis is transmitted by the urine of an infected animal and is contagious as long as it is still moist. Although rats, mice, and moles are important primary hosts, a wide range of other mammals including dogs, deer, rabbits, hedgehogs, cows, sheep, raccoons, opossums, skunks are able to carry and transmit the disease as secondary hosts. Dogs may lick the urine of an infected animal off the grass or soil, or drink from an infected puddle. There have been reports of "house dogs" contracting leptospirosis apparently from licking the urine of infected mice that entered the house. The type of habitats most likely to carry infective bacteria are muddy riverbanks, ditches, gullies, and muddy livestock rearing areas where there is regular passage of either wild or farm mammals"

I think the historical record shows that when starvation sets in anything looks like dinner and after you have eaten your leather boots you start drawing lots for who is next on the menu........ ;)
maxilaura

Post by maxilaura »

cane rats are a major source of protein to some people in South Africa - I have seen one being cooked on the open spit before but didn't try it
jansman

Post by jansman »

bhakta wrote:I appreciate you can catch it in moving water, but I suspect its less likely - you have to make a judgment on the water quality / rat population. As a kayaker and swimmer in English rivers I avoid certain waters. I let my kids swim in rivers and lakes. I wouldn't let them touch canal water. I am concerned that folk don't get to the point that they avoid rivers. Worse still some education authority might start banning kids kayaking.

I appreciate that after the trauma of catching a serious disease you are going to view things in a different light.

Looking up the specific host info I hadn't realised their are other hosts....."Leptospirosis is transmitted by the urine of an infected animal and is contagious as long as it is still moist. Although rats, mice, and moles are important primary hosts, a wide range of other mammals including dogs, deer, rabbits, hedgehogs, cows, sheep, raccoons, opossums, skunks are able to carry and transmit the disease as secondary hosts. Dogs may lick the urine of an infected animal off the grass or soil, or drink from an infected puddle. There have been reports of "house dogs" contracting leptospirosis apparently from licking the urine of infected mice that entered the house. The type of habitats most likely to carry infective bacteria are muddy riverbanks, ditches, gullies, and muddy livestock rearing areas where there is regular passage of either wild or farm mammals"

I think the historical record shows that when starvation sets in anything looks like dinner and after you have eaten your leather boots you start drawing lots for who is next on the menu........ ;)
You know your stuff,especially if your sport is on the water!
However,as I said,rat is off the menu here :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.