Drinking water from local chalk lake?

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
Attack Warning Red

Drinking water from local chalk lake?

Post by Attack Warning Red »

I'm a water noob, so please bear with me... :D

Where I live, there are a few chalk lakes/ponds nearby, in old disused chalk quarries.

How would I got about making the water from these drinkable? Is it simply a water filter, or would I need tablets and/or boiling? I live in a very industrial area, with lots of factories. Would there be a possibility of chemical, metals etc. in the water that I'd need to be wary of?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
the-gnole

Re: Drinking water from local chalk lake?

Post by the-gnole »

Depends whether the water is coming in through the chalk or is run-off.

Also what do the factories use in their processes.

A lot of chemical and heavy metal pollution won't be easy to get rid of with DIY water purification methods.

The Science of Water

Should help with some answers :mrgreen:
Attack Warning Red

the-gnole wrote:Depends whether the water is coming in through the chalk or is run-off.

Also what do the factories use in their processes.
I have no idea TBH! I would assume that the lakes are filled via the rain. The lakes aren't immediately close to factories, but they are about a quarter of a mile away or less, so I don't know if they'd be affected or not.

I'll check out that link thanks..
KalPrep

Post by KalPrep »

You can get filters with specific filter components for metals etc but it will depend heavily on what is actually in the water to start off.
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

Sounds obvious but have you thought about getting a sample and getting in analysed to see if it is "currently" OK?

Just hope it is better than "Peckham Spring"

About 6 minutes in

Only a minute from the end

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Attack Warning Red

Gnole - no, haven't thought of that. I wouldn't have the foggiest idea where to get that done... I guess I can Google that. Probably get some funny looks though?

Love the Fools and Horses clips! :lol:
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

There are labs around that do all sorts of testing, how about a project for the local school science/biology labs?