Making my own Biltong at home

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
maxilaura

Making my own Biltong at home

Post by maxilaura »

When I was a kid, my mom used to make our own biltong (some people call it jerky). My uncle now makes it here in the UK and I want to learn how to do it as well but he is currently away on a cruise so need to wait until he is back for the info on where he got the kit from etc.

Once I know, I will post again and let you know how it went.

Am looking forward to learning this new skill though.
Brambles

Re: Making my own Biltong at home

Post by Brambles »

I made some jerky with 3lb skirt steak. It was so fab it went in 24hrs. I felt sick after.... :oops: I swore I would never make any more.
Brambles jnr wasn't keen, said it reminded him of a savoury penny chew! :?
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

We made some chicken jerky, :shock: But the beef Jerky was best, we marinaded it first and popped it in the dehydrator for a couple of days, it didn't last as long as it took too make :lol:
TeeDee

Post by TeeDee »

Isn't there a difference between Biltong and Jerky? I thought it was prepared slightly differently.

< found it >

"Question: What is the difference between Biltong and Jerky?:

Answer:

Biltong differs from Jerky in two distinct ways:

The meat used in biltong can be much thicker; typically biltong meat is cut in strips approx 1 inch wide - but can be thicker. Jerky is normally very thin meat.

The vinegar and salt in biltong, together with the drying process, cures the meat as well as adding texture and flavour. Jerky is traditionally dried with salt, pepper and other spices along with marinates.

Biltong produced in South Africa may not be imported into Britain, according to rules governing the importation of meat-based products from non-EU countries laid down by Customs & Excise department. However biltong made in the UK can still be purchased in the country. "
KalPrep

Post by KalPrep »

I love biltong, got a real taste for it in SA. I will be watching this with interest as it is something I plan to do in the summer!
maxilaura

Post by maxilaura »

Thanks TeeDee for the info on the difference between biltong and jerky - I always just assumed that it was one and the same because everytime I've talked about biltong here in the UK, people answer with "oh you mean jerky".

Gnole, chicken biltong sounds interesting.
maxilaura

Post by maxilaura »

opps, sorry, meant chicken jerky
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

maxilaura wrote:Gnole, chicken biltong sounds interesting.
I think that needs to be "interesting" in inverted comma's Laura, as it wasn't that great :shock:
maxilaura

Post by maxilaura »

ha ha - must admit, I would never have considered trying to make it with chicken meat myself :)