The Survivors bbc series

How are you preparing
norteen

The Survivors bbc series

Post by norteen »

I wonder if any one has suggested watching the BBC series "The Survivors",not the recent version..which I hated,but the original ones.Written by Terry Nation (who did a lot of Dr who stuff,i think)

Probably the reason I hated the recent version,is because the original series, 1975-1977, had a profound effect on me.

In fact,thinking about it,it is what gave me my "prepper" mentality.i was only a teenager at the time,but it really made me think about things.

One episode in particular sticks in my memory,it was about a crime committed,who should/could act as judge and jury,and then what do you do when sentence is passed. it was decided that they could not spare people to constantly guard a sentenced man,so they decide to execute him....i won`t give the ending away.

What this series did,was to look at the all angles of surviving,not just food,water,shelter...but how groups form,protect themselves,and their rules and ethics etc

I recently viewed it again,and while a lot of it can appear dated,I would thoroughly recommend it for preppers...especially to look at how people react when the SHTF.

it is available on Amazon for £21.97,worth a lot more to you than some survivor books(which undoubtedly give good practical tips)but more for a very insightful look at the psychological side of surviving.
the-gnole

Re: The Survivors bbc series

Post by the-gnole »

It was a great series back in the 70's, it was sort of growing on me in the recent remake.

Know the area really well, having lived in and around it for nearly 50 years.

Met one of the back stage crew when I was about 12 IIRC, the BBC Armourer at the time, very interesting afternoon chatting with him and having access to the weaponary they used in the first series.

Some really good story lines, well worth watching as it gives a few very good pointers for anyone who might succeed in surviving a similar event.
maxilaura

Post by maxilaura »

I've been watching it on BBi player - watched up to episode 6 and really enjoyed it so far.
bulldogeagle

Post by bulldogeagle »

the 70's series was the best, if now a bit old fashioned, the new series was terrible-too political and PC, we have the original series on dvd, must sit down and watch it again, probably at xmas when all the repeats are on :lol:
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

People said the original was to "posh" all the main characters seemed to come from middle to upper class types, the new series was probably more accurate with its bigger cross section of the population and cultures we have in the UK today, I had no problem with that as we are more likely to have a cross section of society as "Survivors" than we did back in the seventies.
Slimslim

Post by Slimslim »

Funny you mentioned this:D

Only just started rewatching them all during the past week!

Well worth a view IMO.
bulldogeagle

Post by bulldogeagle »

the-gnole wrote:People said the original was to "posh" all the main characters seemed to come from middle to upper class types, the new series was probably more accurate with its bigger cross section of the population and cultures we have in the UK today, I had no problem with that as we are more likely to have a cross section of society as "Survivors" than we did back in the seventies.
I dont know about being "posh", its more like people back then knew how to behave and this was reflected in the programmes of the day, now we have the "me,me,me Brigade" who want everything NOW.
Slimslim

Post by Slimslim »

I think one of the major problems with the new series is its grasp of the moral and survival choices.

For example 'Law & Order' in the original series was presented in a FAR better way then its equivalent in the new series. In the original episode it clearly illustrated the tough moral choices presented to the group and the consequences of their actions. New series didn’t have nearly as much emotional impact only some faceless randomer who you couldn’t really give a toss about…Unlike having to deal ‘justice’ with someone who you’ve known for x amount of time and until that point has been a part of your family/group/community.
norteen

Post by norteen »

Yes Slimslim,that episode in the original really stuck in my mind. i am 50 now,and i still can feel the "uncomfortableness" of that particular episode.
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

Even the cast found "Law and order" a difficult episode that created a lot of discussion behind the cameras with them trying to see how they would deal with it for real, let alone for a TV series.

Poor Barney, should never have been made the victim. Potatoes potatoes potatoes ;)

The new series episodes 1 to 6 trying to include much of the original 12 story lines was destined to be "rushed" and very mixed up.

A lot of people wondered how the Gov't lady managed to carry a loaded 9mm pistol in those trousers without is being annoying and visible :lol: