In the event of nuclear war...

How are you preparing
grenfell

Re: In the event of nuclear war...

Post by grenfell »

In reality for an all out nuclear war we are still talking of Russia who have a large enough arsenal . In likelihood I still think Putin be?ieves he can win in Ukraine by conventional means. China I tend to rule out as being the aggressor in this scenerio although I think they would retaliate if attacked. I'm struggling to think of times that Chinese troops fought abroad , korea is probably the furthest they've gotten from their own border. Yes they want Taiwan but that's pretty much a case of wanting Chinese reunification.
So ruling out the "major players" that leaves us with nations such as Iran or North korea or terrorist groups that could carry out a limited attack. That could easily mean a capital city and how high up London might be on a list is anybodies guess. If London was nuked I'm far enough away to survive without injuries but I have little doubt that even a single nuke will impact me as government , health and food supply would be in utter chaos. On the subject of a rogue nation going nuclear and the first point of the time before a strike is anyone taking action now ? Iran has just launched a large attack on Israel and seen pretty much 99% of it's missiles and drones shot down. Uk forces were involved in the shooting down of those missiles ( although to what extent isn't clear) . The Iranians are just barmy enough to try a nuclear attack against Israel and those who have aided them. Is London now a target and if it might be when do you get out of the place ?
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Apparently we are providing a laser system to the Ukraine to shoot down missiles. It’s meant to be 80% ready in terms of testing and it needs a steady source of electricity for it to work but if you want to test it against Russian ballistic missiles, where better than there just now!

If successful, it might provide some sort of protection.
Attachments
IMG_9175.jpeg
IMG_9175.jpeg (24.37 KiB) Viewed 228 times
Ara

Post by Ara »

Should the bomb drop, do I want to survive? No, I don't think I do.
Shrews

Post by Shrews »

Just with regards to 'wanting to die' and the realities of that.

Many will not want to survive a nuclear war, but

1. We may not know whether the war is survivable or not. It may be full-on, it may be limited.

2. You will need to make the ultimate decision to live or die in:
a/ The lead up to war. Sitting down with your family and discussing the options will not be easy eg what if one wants to survive and three don't? And are we really going to end it all before any impact or are we going to wait for impact and do it all then?
b/ During impact. There's a chance you will not be at home (30% chance) and the family will not be together. Chances of being instantly vapourised low, chances of being badly injured extremely high. If you haven't prepped you will likely be suffering terribly. You may want to end it, but thinking it and doing it are two different things. Chances are survival instinct will kick in and possibly the will to help others too.
c/ With your mind all over the place and fall out radiation starting to fall you will be breathing in what will kill you. Your family may well be safe and going through the same emotions with the people they are with at the time. They may not want to live either, or they may want to find you.

These are extremely deep decisions to make. But unfortunately in terms of prepping for war, and in this case nuclear war, they are part of the prepping process.

1. Survive or die
2. If survive, then how? (bunker down, leave the country, stay but go more rural etc)
3. If die, then how? (you don't know where the bombs are heading, or at what time, or on what date. You can wish for instant death but the reality is likely different).
4. Or just not even think about it and deal with it as it happens (this will be extremely tough in reality when the world around you has gone into full prep mode, however primitive that may be, in the days or weeks where it seems inevitable).

So I would say that war could happen in our lifetime and that war could become nuclear. Prepping to die or prepping to live is something that we might all need to do and if it's the latter then earlier the better, even if the prep is just a decision on when to leave, perhaps when your personal XYZ boxes are ticked.

We've all seen Threads
- The main guy is at work, his fiancee home with her parents, his parents home with the younger son, the daughter unknown (paper round?). The neighbour has left to go rural and is stuck with many others on the motorway.
- The siren warns of an attack, the immediate reaction from everybody in the scene is to survive. For some the panic roots them to the spot. The dad and his wife panic to put the inadequate lean-to shelter together. Some prepping using 'Protect and Survive' has been attempted in advance, much to the annoyance of the wife who utters something along the lines of 'what are you doing that for, nothing will happen' - but when it does she is franticly trying to survive, (no doubt wishing she had taken it more seriously). The son and his workmate hide under the car. His fiancee and parents go to the cellar.
- The young son and main guy killed instantly. The mother suffers catastrophic burn injuries and flying glass injuries. The father slowly succumbs to fall out radiation poisoning, but during the immediate aftermath is seen trying desperately to put out fires in his home. The workmate suffers burns. The fiancee, parents and grandmother (assumingly out in the suburbs) go to the cellar. The fiancee survives but we all know how that ends, the grandmother dies, the parents killed (I think) by invaders after a few weeks.

Nevertheless, everyone has tried to survive. There doesn't appear to be any storyline for people who have chosen not to. The shops for example full of busy worried shoppers stocking up (prepping too late), people desperately trying to buy wood at the carpenters yard etc.

I think the reality is we won't be topping ourselves, if we've prepped then we're either out of the country, sheltering rural, or at home (if we're lucky) with a shelter that may just be enough to survive the heat and blast. Or we've not prepped and now struggling with extreme injuries or slow radiation poisoning instead of the instant death we'd hoped for.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Shrews wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:34 pm Just with regards to 'wanting to die' and the realities of that.

Many will not want to survive a nuclear war, but

1. We may not know whether the war is survivable or not. It may be full-on, it may be limited.

2. You will need to make the ultimate decision to live or die in:
a/ The lead up to war. Sitting down with your family and discussing the options will not be easy eg what if one wants to survive and three don't? And are we really going to end it all before any impact or are we going to wait for impact and do it all then?
b/ During impact. There's a chance you will not be at home (30% chance) and the family will not be together. Chances of being instantly vapourised low, chances of being badly injured extremely high. If you haven't prepped you will likely be suffering terribly. You may want to end it, but thinking it and doing it are two different things. Chances are survival instinct will kick in and possibly the will to help others too.
c/ With your mind all over the place and fall out radiation starting to fall you will be breathing in what will kill you. Your family may well be safe and going through the same emotions with the people they are with at the time. They may not want to live either, or they may want to find you.

These are extremely deep decisions to make. But unfortunately in terms of prepping for war, and in this case nuclear war, they are part of the prepping process.

1. Survive or die
2. If survive, then how? (bunker down, leave the country, stay but go more rural etc)
3. If die, then how? (you don't know where the bombs are heading, or at what time, or on what date. You can wish for instant death but the reality is likely different).
4. Or just not even think about it and deal with it as it happens (this will be extremely tough in reality when the world around you has gone into full prep mode, however primitive that may be, in the days or weeks where it seems inevitable).

So I would say that war could happen in our lifetime and that war could become nuclear. Prepping to die or prepping to live is something that we might all need to do and if it's the latter then earlier the better, even if the prep is just a decision on when to leave, perhaps when your personal XYZ boxes are ticked.

We've all seen Threads
- The main guy is at work, his fiancee home with her parents, his parents home with the younger son, the daughter unknown (paper round?). The neighbour has left to go rural and is stuck with many others on the motorway.
- The siren warns of an attack, the immediate reaction from everybody in the scene is to survive. For some the panic roots them to the spot. The dad and his wife panic to put the inadequate lean-to shelter together. Some prepping using 'Protect and Survive' has been attempted in advance, much to the annoyance of the wife who utters something along the lines of 'what are you doing that for, nothing will happen' - but when it does she is franticly trying to survive, (no doubt wishing she had taken it more seriously). The son and his workmate hide under the car. His fiancee and parents go to the cellar.
- The young son and main guy killed instantly. The mother suffers catastrophic burn injuries and flying glass injuries. The father slowly succumbs to fall out radiation poisoning, but during the immediate aftermath is seen trying desperately to put out fires in his home. The workmate suffers burns. The fiancee, parents and grandmother (assumingly out in the suburbs) go to the cellar. The fiancee survives but we all know how that ends, the grandmother dies, the parents killed (I think) by invaders after a few weeks.

Nevertheless, everyone has tried to survive. There doesn't appear to be any storyline for people who have chosen not to. The shops for example full of busy worried shoppers stocking up (prepping too late), people desperately trying to buy wood at the carpenters yard etc.

I think the reality is we won't be topping ourselves, if we've prepped then we're either out of the country, sheltering rural, or at home (if we're lucky) with a shelter that may just be enough to survive the heat and blast. Or we've not prepped and now struggling with extreme injuries or slow radiation poisoning instead of the instant death we'd hoped for.
So do you have a fully equipped Nuclear Bunker?

I’m not being rude here,I ask straight questions.

I learned,practiced and was equipped for and about nuclear war in HM Military Service .40+ years ago! Bunkers were built and demolished by councils within a decade or so all over the UK! Frankly ,the chance of ZERO nuclear war is higher than one occurring. Yes ,there are nutters out there,but there were two strikes in Japan to STOP a war,not start!

That’s not to say that nothing in nuclear tactics is going away. It could happen.

You speak about people who have basically said “ if nuclear war happens,I’d sooner die” and that fact /attitude is true in 2024 - unlike the late 70’s + . I’ll tell you why it is amongst amongst older people particularly. CANCER.
1 in 2 people now get cancer. My wife has and was cured. I have and cannot be.

Been to hospital lately? We queue now for our treatment! Both for injury in A+ E and our Cancer. You go into A+E it’s easily 12 hour wait. Imagine a nuclear war and its human damage! As for cancer treatment,my chemotherapy can be four hours late!

So getting physically injured or dying of cancer right now ain’t nice WITH treatment. I wouldn’t want to die of my now terminal illness without the treatment I get I can tell you.Its nasty.

Given that every family has their own medical conditions and cancer ,they know that now they are under pressure with our NHS. Chuck in a nuclear war, there will be a lot of people who will throw in that ‘towel’ before vicious and untreatable disease and injury grabs them.

Sorry to sound negative to some,but that’s the truth,especially when terminal illness and it’s pain is now. ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Just think the hospitals can't cope with a spell of icy weather and the slips trips and falls...

In a big bang flash situation the Concert halls and conference centre they built the nightingale hospitals in wouldn't likely have a roof or walls left ...

Our local urgent treatment centre doesn't even stock burns dressings in the department ........
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

In agreement Jansman hope it lands on my place first and vapouroses it with us in it

In threads ultimately only the baby survived from the people we were following...but her baby either didn't or was hideously abnormal due to the fall out they never really say I suppose the film's about those trying to survive and what they go through .... we wouldn't have a film if not

If somehow we managed to survive the horror people would have to come together ..I saw what the people on my street were like during covid ..awful ..it wasn't a fairytale of people helping each other . Was a group of nasties out for what they could get greedy sneaky awful ... supposedly decent normal folk ... we only heard of the captain Toms in the news ..I could have told a few stories...

We arent equipped for any form of nuclear war I have a bottle of iodine thats it ..unless you have a bunker that can sustain you and your family for however many years needed I think its kiss your ass goodbye and hope you go first
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GeeGee wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:40 amI saw what the people on my street were like during covid ..awful ..it wasn't a fairytale of people helping each other . Was a group of nasties out for what they could get greedy sneaky awful ... supposedly decent normal folk ...

One that's repeatable in polite company was a group of blokes down my sisters street surrounded a group of teenagers who thought it'd be fun to go down her road tipping the wheelie bins over and convinced them that it'd be a mighty good idea to go put the bins back upright my sister looked out seeing 2 teenagers wretching by her bin .. the cat litter was the last thing she tipped in the bin and due to lockdown she had not changed it as often as usual to make the bag last and hes a big messy tomcat the blokes had them pick up nearly every crumb of litter/ animal waste with their hands :lol: they'd nearly finished their community spirited litter picking when plod turned up who were really impressed with the encouragement on the cleaning and just sat in the car watching before returning the teens home :lol: :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I can see where people are coming from, from all sides :? I suppose I have a bit of a flow chart myself, like Shrews.

1. small incident - Chernobyl in France etc. I want to survive.
2. limited actual nuclear attack, which gets stopped. I want to survive.
3. big attack. I want to survive long enough to get my books and food supply to my nephew. If that means getting in my car and giving myself more exposure, that's okay, because *his* survival, for his little daughter, is what matters.
4. big attack where one lands on my head ... well, no discussion.

I think for wanting *not* to survive, part of EDC should be something to help - I'm phrasing it that way on purpose.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:19 am
One that's repeatable in polite company was a group of blokes down my sisters street surrounded a group of teenagers who thought it'd be fun to go down her road tipping the wheelie bins over and convinced them that it'd be a mighty good idea to go put the bins back upright my sister looked out seeing 2 teenagers wretching by her bin .. the cat litter was the last thing she tipped in the bin and due to lockdown she had not changed it as often as usual to make the bag last and hes a big messy tomcat the blokes had them pick up nearly every crumb of litter/ animal waste with their hands :lol: they'd nearly finished their community spirited litter picking when plod turned up who were really impressed with the encouragement on the cleaning and just sat in the car watching before returning the teens home :lol: :lol:
Love it, not that I’m advocating vigilante justice or anything like that, thank you very much PC Murdoch.

My experiences of the lockdown were different in my street, folk rallied round, cut grass for the older folk and generally looked out for each other. Crazy to think it but it was a nicer time for all until a certain person decided to go for a drive to a castle.

However, that would all go out the window in the aftermath of a nuclear strike. The safety of your family would become paramount and there would be a lot of really bad things happening to those less able to fight for themselves, especially if you had food, shelter or supplies. Technically you might be able to group together with some but you will undoubtedly be traumatised, paranoid and very vulnerable in the time period after. Expect no help from the police or armed forces who would be trying to survive as well and thinking‘I wonder who has food and can we keep that Tesco express for ourselves…’.

Society would in fact, break down. You see it in the Ukraine and what happened in Israel. Wipe away the very thin veneer of civilisation and we are no better than the Crusaders, sacking the city of Antioch.