Kale

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
diamond lil

Kale

Post by diamond lil »

Have saved a corner of the microscopic back garden for growing veg. And what I think would be most use to us is Kale. In Scotland, kale is big :mrgreen: - my granny called her entire back garden the kailyaird, although I'm sure there would've been loads of veg init, not just kale.
So I'm looking for recommendations re the best kind to grow. Def not too tall or bulky. If anybody grows it?
lowlander

Re: Kale

Post by lowlander »

I can recommend Pentland Brigg, Ragged Jack and Cavolo Nero, all hardy, easy to grow and easy to find seed for, all good tasting.

Kailyard is an old Scots word for a vegetable garden where cabbages (kail) were grown, also other vegetables; from the Nors word "kal". Kailyard was also the name given to a genre of Scottish literature seen as overly sentimental.
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:43 pm Have saved a corner of the microscopic back garden for growing veg. And what I think would be most use to us is Kale. In Scotland, kale is big :mrgreen: - my granny called her entire back garden the kailyaird, although I'm sure there would've been loads of veg init, not just kale.
So I'm looking for recommendations re the best kind to grow. Def not too tall or bulky. If anybody grows it?
I can thoroughly recommend the perennial kales. They last forever,and it’s a good taste too!

https://incrediblevegetables.co.uk/pere ... ollection/
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I have the Daubentons Panache which is a variegated perennial kale. It has taken a year from a cutting to a solid 3ft by 2ft monster with a baby of it's own. Visitors think it is an ornamental. It is now big enough to crop so I will report back on what it tastes like - after picking off the snails which clearly think it is very tasty.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Thanks everybody. I need a compact quiet well-behaved kale. :mrgreen: Just like me. :twisted: :twisted:
Only I'm notgreen and haven't got snails on me.
that I know about, anyway.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: