Solar panel bargain...

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jennyjj01

Re: Solar panel bargain...

Post by jennyjj01 »

Arzosah wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:07 am I've been doing a bit of reading because of this thread, about adding in a solar panel bought later - it sounds like the new panel has to be the same wattage as the existing panel. It *can* be different, but that needs extra care etc etc taken, and it seems much simpler to just get a panel at the same wattage I bought a few months ago. That's *only* 100W, but I'd rather have the setup simpler than something I just won't use.

Am I thinking right about this, or am I losing the plot?
Hi,
It seems that some of the more modern panels give more wattage per square metre and that, coupled with a lack of roof space, makes me inclined to trade up and actually replace my existing ones, probably through facebook marketplace.
Existing rig is all about four x 18 v panels, so I have the trauma of thinking about how to transition to 33V
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:02 am
Arzosah wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:53 am Hi jansman, yes, the 100W one I've got is portable, though not bendy :) and comes in its own little carrying case. I have a modern power bank, with new cable, I've just bought, so it can be used to charge that (though it looks like twilight at the moment, at 11am, its so overcast!) I was wondering about connecting them up in whatever way is advised to load up a solar generator of some description, but actually, a second powerbank and a second, bigger panel, might not be such a bad way to go. Certainly more flexible - and I wouldn't need it for heating, your list there (phones, tablets, lighting, radios) is exactly what I was thinking of.
Have a read of that

https://energyconnections.net.au/pages/ ... erformance.

Then buy a set of these assumption that you got a mc4 adapter lead for your panel

https://www.amazon.co.uk/connector-bran ... d66e268d4c
So it's the amperage and the volts that need to be identical, not the wattage?
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Arzosah wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:45 pmSo it's the amperage and the volts that need to be identical, not the wattage?
voltage the same if going in parallel. Current the same for in series.... Give or take about 10% limit the number in series because shade on one can stymie the others. Iirc
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Little testing done today ...
IMG-20240316-WA0012.jpeg
IMG-20240316-WA0011.jpg
Spring sunshine it's pushing 109w happily enough about 20 when it clouded over
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:32 pm Little testing done today ...
Spring sunshine it's pushing 109w happily enough about 20 when it clouded over
Impressive. I'd never expect to get anywhere near 90% of rating in this country.

Andy, do you have any higher rating panels such as 350W? And can the eco-flow transition up to >30V panels?