Powdered egg ?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Jeffjones297

Powdered egg ?

Post by Jeffjones297 »

Is anybody storing this, any ideas on viable shelf life and finally any recommendations, on sources. I'm storing powdered milk, powdered egg seems an obvious addition.

Obviously, eggs can be used in cooking recipes, can be cooked by themselves (such as scrambled, or as omelettes) are a valuable source of protein and additional food item to store.
Storing eggs can be complicated as in, bottled in a water glass mixture but strikes me, as beyond the average beginner prepper.
So, powdered egg would seem the ideal compromise.

Any thoughts ?.
GeraldTheBonzai

Re: Powdered egg ?

Post by GeraldTheBonzai »

Powdered eggs can last for years, provided you can remove all moisture and store in an anaerobic state.
You can make your own, but it's messy and time consuming, so only worthwhile if you do it in bulk. Basically, you need to make an egg slurry, then dry it out slowly so you end up with a brittle cake. What you don't want to do is heat it such that you cook the eggs. You then grind the cake up and store in an airtight container.

Try an experiment. Whisk a couple of eggs then try slowly heating them in a low oven - gas mark 1. See if you can get them to dry out.
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

No-Egg is good. It’s actually plant based, so good with folks who can’t/won’t eat egg. I’ve made pancakes and things with it. Always have a box of it in my pantry.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Jeffjones297 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:39 pm Is anybody storing this, any ideas on viable shelf life and finally any recommendations, on sources. I'm storing powdered milk, powdered egg seems an obvious addition.
I'm storing and occasionally using a few kilo of powdered egg which is BBE Dec 2018. It was cost effective at about £11 a kilo when I bought it, but I no longer have a source.
It's stored in poly bags and jars and seems as good today as it ever was apart from maybe needing a bit more whisking.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Jeffjones297

Post by Jeffjones297 »

I've since learned, powdered egg is similar in shelf life to rice and pasta ! 10 yrs is considered ok in sealed containers.
So it's a very versatile and valuable resource, the cheapest I've found is approx £10 per half kilo.
If anyone can improve on this, I'd be obliged to hear of it !
It works out at one tablespoon to 3 of water, to recreate 1 egg.

I say versatile, as egg is often an ingredient of cooking and baking, as well as a stand alone food source.

Protein sources may be most valuable in the future, rice and pasta can only go so far.