Old fashioned or home cures

How are you preparing
Kiwififer

Old fashioned or home cures

Post by Kiwififer »

Completely chocked full of the lurgy tonight so I’ve made myself a hot ginger beer toddy with a night nurse chaser for bed. However it got me thinking, what other ‘home made cures’ do folk use for various ailments? I personally think whisky is great for killing colds but that is me, has anyone else got things they use for ailments?
Attachments
IMG_8707.jpeg
Medusa

Re: Old fashioned or home cures

Post by Medusa »

As a child with an upset stomach I was given a drop of whisky or brandy in hot water with a bit o sugar. That would likely be classed as a safeguarding issue these days. I tend to rely on a squeezed lemon with honey and hot water and a couple of paracetamol for colds. Inhaling steam for coughs. We starve stomach bugs for 24 hours and then start with a piece of dry toast to see if that will stay down. Sprains used to be treated by soaking nipbone (comfrey) in hot water, coughs with either treacle and butter or sugar and butter and salted water was and still is used for sore throats. I am not a big believer in the Lemsip type things at all and will only use Night Nurse which is absolutely vile if I am really struggling with a night time cough.
Growing old disgracefully!
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I'm a great believer in old fashioned home remedies. I use brandy because I hate the smell of whisky, it's great with asprin for heatstroke - hubby used to get that on hot summer days. Also good for poorly tummies along with weak tea. I use local honey for all cuts and wounds, stops them getting infected and makes things heal faster as well as draws out skelfs and thorns etc. And the pride of place goes to the HWB :lol: I couldn't face life without a hot water bottle!
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

diamond lil wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:28 am I'm a great believer in old fashioned home remedies. I use brandy because I hate the smell of whisky, it's great with asprin for heatstroke - hubby used to get that on hot summer days. Also good for poorly tummies along with weak tea. I use local honey for all cuts and wounds, stops them getting infected and makes things heal faster as well as draws out skelfs and thorns etc. And the pride of place goes to the HWB :lol: I couldn't face life without a hot water bottle!
It’s funny, I was speaking about this place (not directly though) elsewhere and said that every prepper had a hot water bottle. It helps with my dodgy knee, my wife when she gets stomach cramps and if you are struggling to keep warm in the middle of the cost of living crisis, it’s probably the best thing you can have…