Quality Hand Tools

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
GeraldTheBonzai

Quality Hand Tools

Post by GeraldTheBonzai »

Anyone got any recommendations for a supplier of quality hand tool?

At the moment i'm after a double edged bill hook. Had a look on normal places like Amazon etc but hard to tell if things are good quality or junk. Want something that is going to last.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Quality Hand Tools

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

No certainty but I'd look at the bigger brand names over nameless wonders Stihl / spear and Jackson / faithful.. look on the likes of Screwfix / Toolstation too they will let you view tools before buying
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
GeraldTheBonzai

Post by GeraldTheBonzai »

pseudonym wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:11 pm https://www.billhooks.co.uk/

https://www.billhooks.co.uk/where-to-buy-a-billhook/

That'll keep you busy Sunday.. :mrgreen:
Oh outstanding! Many thanks.

Was seriously thinking of looking around the local "antique" type shops. Looking for a good hand brace as well.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Or if you have basic tool restoration skills, check out boot fairs or any local second hand tool suppliers and pick up one that has already seen 50 years use and just needs a little sharpening or a new handle to do another half century for a pound or so
jansman

Post by jansman »

Tool quality is interesting. The first Christmas present my dear wife ( then my gorgeous girlfriend :D) bought me,upon request was a 42 piece Stanley socket set! :lol: But that was before being made in China. I still have it,in its original container,and boy it’s fixed some cars and motorbikes! ;) Later up the line on request,she bought me a Marples wood plane - still good. On the flip side though,I have Marple chisels ( good) but also Chinese ones too,and the same age,as sharp, as durable.I still have sets of Chinese pliers bought from Wilko 40 years ago. Still going strong!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Jeffjones297

Post by Jeffjones297 »

I found car boot sales twenty + yrs ago good sources of quality well made hand tools, these days, the cheap Chinese tat, is making its way onto the stalls.
Ideally look for, the old fashioned guys and be discriminating about what you're looking at.
Militaria dealers offen have good stuff but nothing's guaranteed anymore, mostly, cheap steel is obvious if you know what you're looking at.
Antique tools can be semi reliable. I got a second hand garden fork yrs ago for a quid, you could take stumps out with, without fear lol 😂 the bloody thing was and is, indestructible, God knows how old it is, the weak links are the object and the person, the tool doesn't budge.

I surrendered my old stonmason tools, when I left. Half of them I bought myself. You can't buy quality like that anymore, I curse myself.