Why am I here?

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Allex

Why am I here?

Post by Allex »

Worried about unrest in the world and want to be prepared for anything that impacts locally. I am older so not into such as running and hiding just want to have enough resources to last out a few months at home.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Why am I here?

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Welcome what are you planning on preparing for?
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Lol Allex I ask myself that all the time :mrgreen: I dono why I'm anywhere really :mrgreen:
Welcome to the forum x
Allex

Post by Allex »

I concentrate on canned and dry stocks. I also major on supps so can get the usual vits. I reckon I have say three months food at a push for two. It's a bit sporadic atm.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Sounds like you are sorted for food. What about water and cooking if the grid goes down?
That reminds me, I have two new water containers I need to wash and fill. Or I could just keep them to fill if I think there is a chance of the water going off. I have 60 litres filled.
Allex

Post by Allex »

Frnc wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:36 am Sounds like you are sorted for food. What about water and cooking if the grid goes down?
That reminds me, I have two new water containers I need to wash and fill. Or I could just keep them to fill if I think there is a chance of the water going off. I have 60 litres filled.
Yes, fill them fresh unless you use them constantly keeping them topped up. For cooking I have several gas canisters and burners from camping to 15Kg and a gas heater plus wood burner with a flat top. Need a drone now to spot the enemy coming!
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Hi Allex and welcome.
It sounds like you have some bases covered. Food reserves: Alternate cooking: Water.
Do your store what's in your normal diet? If so, consider using your reserves like your corner shop and your supermarket runs like wholesaler trips. That helps with rotation and spotting any gaps.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum, Allex - you'll find that quite a few of us are on the other end of the age spectrum, so to speak :) you'll fit right in.

Can I ask, do you have a garden? Perennial plants can be a real help - fruit bushes, herbs, a few vegetables, or maybe a few "set and forget" like garlic.

Anyway, water and hygiene are the most important - remember the great Toilet Paper Crisis of 2020 :lol:
bobble

Post by bobble »

Welcome from Merseyside! 😃