GHK, get home kit.

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Peter

GHK, get home kit.

Post by Peter »

I’ve always thought a GHB, essential as the concept is it has limitations.

If you are in your car and TSHTF if you’re just a few miles from home a basic GHB will suffice.....
...if the weather is not bad.......In bad weather remember your car is windproof and waterproof, you may
have to wait until the storm abates (overnight) before it’s safe to attempt to walk home.
If you are more than twenty miles from home the odds are you would not get home in a day even in good
weather.......remember it will be chaos on the roads, and it may not be safe to move.......If it’s fifty miles
it’s an EXPEDITION........if you’re not super fit at least three days with all the uncertainty around......again
that’s in good weather.

So you have your EDC in you pockets, a GHB behind the driving seat, with a first aid kit, torch, lighter, water
bottle and snacks, waterproofs, comfortable shoes......so why not a box in the boot with a tarp or survival bag,
camping stove and fuel, three days food, extra water and some oasis tablets......that’s what I mean.....GH’Kit.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: GHK, get home kit.

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Who says some of us don't :lol:

I've got 48hrs of rations in my car plus a 3 day ships biscuit pack at work times my snap bag which on a Monday is chock full of high calorie/ fat snacks read biscuits or chocolate .... Which depletes as the week goes on :oops:

There's a drinks bottle plus 5l of water a down bag a bivvie bag a large foil backed tarp seasonally correct clothing no ones going to suspect a prepper in workers clothing high Vis waterproofs are flavours of the month in this area.. likewise workers help workers.. motorbikers help motorbikers ... Stopped last week to help someone in high Vis stuck in the mud on a very soft verge He gave me a tenner for a pint he was happy to be getting home without be waiting hours for recovery ... Took me less than 5 minutes out of my day...
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Peter

Post by Peter »

Andy.....I wouldn’t expect anything less from you.

I was thinking more of my own limitations/circumstances.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

The guy who was stuck I got him out with a set of £5 grip mats had he not being a idiot he could have self rescued... Some people have no idea what to do when they get stuck in the mud.... But I'll tell you a secret :lol: ;) putting the car in full lock and booting it really won't help :roll:

I'll never confess to be a good driver but goodness me a bit of savvy can get you out the poo sometimes

jansman

Post by jansman »

Before I was banned from driving - by a Neurologist,not a copper :lol: :lol: - I carried similar stuff in my car. As I was out in remote rural area I made sure I had 24 hours of everything needed to walk home with. Even down to water filter and hiking stick. All packed away tightly. In my humble experience,if you have this kit,you won’t need it!
Another thing would be to make sure car is well maintained,you have rescue like RAC etc. and some cash.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Peter

Post by Peter »

These cheap plastic grip mats are very good as they work on mud and wet grass (typical campsite)
as well as on snow, mine were from Towsure, have them on two lengths of cord tied to the back of
the motor, you don’t have to stop to retrieve them when you get free ( old trick) :lol: .
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Peter wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:13 pm These cheap plastic grip mats are very good as they work on mud and wet grass (typical campsite)
as well as on snow, mine were from Towsure, have them on two lengths of cord tied to the back of
the motor, you don’t have to stop to retrieve them when you get free ( old trick) :lol: .
That's why I bought them the campsite this summer was like the Somme :lol: got stuck pulling on so i bought some before we had to leave ..

Since fitted some big knobblies :mrgreen:
Screenshot_20231217-220133.png
Towsure used to be a great shop on Holme lane before they modernised it

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

A lot depends on location. If you break down in the middle of the Peak District, Lake District, Snowdonia, Scotland etc, you are reliant on the AA/RAC if you can get a signal, or what you have with you. I suppose you could try to walk to the nearest house/pub, or flag down another motorist. My lodger's gf rides over the pennines on a motorbike, not sure what she carries other than a phone. It does have a top box.

But worst case scenario, shtf and you break down miles from anywhere, yes some camping gear is a good idea. Similarly if you have to evacuate from your home, or from your work place. I don't have a car, so it's more important for me, but roads could be gridlocked, or petrol unavailable.

I can easily carry camping gear, winter clothes, and a few days' food. My tent weighs 1kg. Sleeping bag is 230g (half bag, use with insulated jacket). Pot, stove and gas total 460g. Nine ration bars + five freeze dried meals = 4,700 calories = about 1kg. Total 2.69 kg plus tekking pole doubles as tent pole 170g, but that's not on my back if walking. Of course I have quite a bit more. A mat is very important in winter. I have an ultralight air bed 170g and a 5 season closed cell mat 350g, combined they have a winter R value. Two water filters, water, first aid etc etc. Also in winter I have a cheap light quilt 440g.
Jeffjones297

Post by Jeffjones297 »

A ghk is not important to me, where I live, the terrain and weather is fairly benign and I'm rarely if ever, further than twenty mins away from home by car.
It's hard to imagine, outside of the ultimate shtf scenario of nuclear attack, where getting home would be a longer than 5-6 hour problem.
Even walking in winter, is not that difficult to imagine, if the car was kaput. I might get home exhausted but I'd get home.
That said, a simple small rucksack, with water, food for 24 hrs, a waterproof coat, torch and phone lead makes the same sense, that my "car bag" does.
That contains, jump leads, tow rope, water, oil, tire pump and flat tyre foam.
So I'll add it to the car and forget about it.