Prepping when ill or infirm

How are you preparing
jansman

Prepping when ill or infirm

Post by jansman »

Hi guys and gals. I’ll probably do this in ‘episodes’ between sleep and visits from my Macmillan nurse.

So. A year ago I fell ill. Up until then I had never needed a doctor in a serious manner. My prepping meant that I used my wit,strength and endurance to live in a pretty self sufficient way. I have done my best this year to continue that way,but unfortunately it would appear that The Creator has decided things have to change. :lol:

As I got older ( this last five + years) I did accept my wear and tear and was starting to ease work,in such a way as weed suppressant and very raised beds in my vegetable garden. My back and knees were grateful. :D Let’s start with food production. ;)

We grew a lot of vegetables. Up until illness I also had fowls and rabbits. Had done for nearly forty years on and off.I had cleared the rabbits just prior to illness,as I was looking for less work,and I didn’t need the money from them. When I was in hospital last Christmas my wife said she couldn’t cope with the fowls. One phone call and a mate picked them up within the hour. My wife doesn’t eat eggs anyway! :D .
I had always been a hunting and fishing man too. My mates have taken me on some memorable fishing trips,but the hunting ( guns) was impossible. My wife likes clay pigeon shooting,so she got licensed and holds a couple of guns. I sold the rest.

So where is the point about my prepping?

Well,the extreme illness has caused a lot of ‘opposition’ towards what was normal. However,as I was getting older and body parts were wearing out I was seeing - roughly speaking - where my prepping and young man lifestyle was heading. So when I became ill my prepping was already changing. Hopefully this will help those who cannot live like Rambo! :lol:

No longer are the animals needed. I have to be careful how many eggs I eat,my wife doesn’t eat them at all. When I want some,I ring my mate and he brings them. If I fancy a rabbit,my neighbour gets me one. No need for freezers full like the old days. As for my vegetable garden,it’s mainly perennial plants. Cabbage,onions,artichokes,herbs,fruits etc. What we eat is now less. I used to pickle,and eat a lot of veg,but I am not allowed to eat those now,and they are not my wife’s favourite anyway.
When I am finally gone,my wife will not need the work,nor the volume of produce just for herself.

That doesn’t mean there is zero prepping though ,food wise. Whilst as a young family we had the animals,the garden and even another acre with poly tunnel and goats too,we also had two large pantries.Now we are down to one. We are drifting towards mainly my wife’s tastes. In an emergency she can find a meal easily from those shelves. We keep them stocked,and she easily has 3 months of grub there. Then is a new fridge freezer. When meals are cooked,there is enough to put into single portion containers and freeze. Jan finds this convenient , particularly when I am in hospital. It cheers me too,as I know she eats!

On a prepping basis we still have an emergency fridge and small freezer in the old storage shed just in case there is a breakdown too.

Going back to eggs and rabbits,we have old,old friends and neighbours as contacts too. Not only is physical storage important,but contacts are too. I cannot drive anymore, so if my wife is working and I need help ,mates are there for me. We are all now retired :lol: :lol: Don’t underestimate community support.

I’ll speak soon.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Re: Prepping when ill or infirm

Post by diamond lil »

Very true re illness and getting older as well JM. We found the same thing when the husband got heart probs and I got ill too. Adapting always has to be the way forward, and you never hear of an old Rambo - or if you do, then they're found dead in their homes or sheds because nobody knew they were ill!
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:35 am Very true re illness and getting older as well JM. We found the same thing when the husband got heart probs and I got ill too. Adapting always has to be the way forward, and you never hear of an old Rambo - or if you do, then they're found dead in their homes or sheds because nobody knew they were ill!
Getting older is the biggie in fairness.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

That's good to have an overview. Getting older is the kicker, isn't it - I'm not surprised you were already changing because of it, and the way we live influences it too. You've obviously lived a very physical life from what you've said, and it's given you some wear and tear. I've had problems from the opposite end of the spectrum - I think I haven't been active enough, although I never had a car and walked everywhere - there were whole weeks when I either sat in my work room to see clients, then sat in my office and caught up on admin, then collapsed at 10pm in front of the tv :(. Which meant I had to retire 4 years early because of the chronic fatigue.

Getting older is the biggie, as you say, but the thing you've managed to achieve is being rooted in your community, which I admire so much. Community support says it all, and it's crucial, as you point out. All you need is shared interests, and not necessarily many of those, though the more the merrier, of course. I'm so glad you've got such good mates that they'll come and give you a hand when Jan is working, if need be.

You mentioned about not being allowed to eat some of your favourites - have you found any new foods that you *do* like, that the hospital nutritionist or whoever has recommended? Spices, herbs, flavours?
jansman

Post by jansman »

Here we go then. Just had a cup of tea and 8 tablets. Another hour and a few more to come. :lol:

So .Prepping when getting older. I will try not to mention illnesses,as they have a tendency to turn up regardlessly anyway when age moves along :lol:

Food covered. Obviously prepping for food supply ,that is good. We’ve seen shortages,disappearances and high prices. For many it is an issue right now. The end of the world can appear in front of one person in a community. That’s the obvious way and reason to prep to be fair.

So going on what is upsetting folks right now. Heating. Of course it is Winter too.It’s a big deal.

Up until a month ago we have always burned solid fuel. Beyond that we have electric back up. Of course ,many have gas central heating,but we don’t.
Aside from coal,our wood has never cost a penny. Boy o boy that has saved some money down the years. However ,it was a lifestyle. Whilst in hospital a month ago,my wife said she was finding the stoves to be hard work,and one chimney needed its annual sweep. She was over to our electric heating,and fair enough.

So when I got back ,me and a couple of mates took the stoves out,swept and sealed the chimneys. Done. I sold all the logs and coal easily. We replaced the stoves with the electric versions,and to be honest you can hardly see the difference and the warmth is instant. Honestly,I am not missing the old system,and what is more the new ones are operated with remote control and can even be done on a smart phone! The expense of the two mock stoves were covered easily by the log sales. I think I have supplied half the street. :lol: I have a guy coming over tomorrow to pick up the hydraulic log splitter and various tools.

Do I hear someone saying that electrical heating is expensive? :lol: Well yes it is. However,the cost of smokeless coal has doubled in the last two years. At peak time my coal bill worked out at as much as thirty quid a week! So fortunately,financially, our heating is efficient and affordable.

However my first thought was ‘what about back up?’. In a potential power cut,which government and fuel companies are quietly reminding us of right now, we had no alternative heating. Well we do now! We have purchased a mobile gas heater which can heat non stop for six whole days. That will do! Our gas can be purchased and even delivered from a supplier in the next village. Back up cooking is not a problem,nor is lighting.

All of this is nice and simple,easy to purchase,fit and maintain. Fortunately the house is made up of small rooms with doors,and each easy to heat individually. It works for us. Just one other thing we have started using regarding heat. That is an electric’throw’. A sofa based electric blanket. Thirty quid and cost 3p per hour to run. Very ,very comfortable. :D

So that is basically how we have gone from our thirty odd year heating system quickly into a new one that is working well under current cost and situations.

Take care.

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:58 am That's good to have an overview. Getting older is the kicker, isn't it - I'm not surprised you were already changing because of it, and the way we live influences it too. You've obviously lived a very physical life from what you've said, and it's given you some wear and tear. I've had problems from the opposite end of the spectrum - I think I haven't been active enough, although I never had a car and walked everywhere - there were whole weeks when I either sat in my work room to see clients, then sat in my office and caught up on admin, then collapsed at 10pm in front of the tv :(. Which meant I had to retire 4 years early because of the chronic fatigue.

Getting older is the biggie, as you say, but the thing you've managed to achieve is being rooted in your community, which I admire so much. Community support says it all, and it's crucial, as you point out. All you need is shared interests, and not necessarily many of those, though the more the merrier, of course. I'm so glad you've got such good mates that they'll come and give you a hand when Jan is working, if need be.

You mentioned about not being allowed to eat some of your favourites - have you found any new foods that you *do* like, that the hospital nutritionist or whoever has recommended? Spices, herbs, flavours?
Hello Arzosah. Yes,even before the scumbag that’s eating my brain was discovered,my body was wearing. Sheer physical graft made its mark. My mates are all the same ,but between us we get by :lol: The community side of this is a huge benefit to us all.

As for food, oh dear! I am not allowed pickled anything. That’s not good.I am not allowed too much carbohydrate. I love spuds! I am not allowed ripe fruits. No marmite or Bovril. No alcohol and no alcohol free drink either! As for a change in taste, I have developed a sweet tooth. That is very unusual for me.

I do hope you are well.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Oh my, that's a lot of prohibitions, especially of the tasty stuff! What do they say about roast veg? Some veg are definitely low carb. Sounds like you're low sugar as well, drat, extra inconvenient when you've now developed a sweet tooth. What have they said about nuts and seeds? Ground almonds can have a very luxurious taste in some things.

OTOH, rejigging the heating systems sounds a win-win, short term and long term. And easy, thank heavens.

I'm good, thanks - I get very tired by late afternoon, but that's how it is: talk about "prepping when ill or infirm", the title of the thread, very apt. I'd say I live by:
- prioritising important things by doing them when I have most energy.
- if good weather is forecast, get the washing machine on early, or even take a chance and wash the evening before so I can peg it out first thing in the morning and get another hour of sunshine.
- space out appointments: the philosophy of "get it all done" stops applying, because if I don't rest enough, I'll be out for the count. Nowadays, its only 3 days, it used to be for a month.
- I'm sure there's a million little things, but those are the main ones.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:18 pm Oh my, that's a lot of prohibitions, especially of the tasty stuff! What do they say about roast veg? Some veg are definitely low carb. Sounds like you're low sugar as well, drat, extra inconvenient when you've now developed a sweet tooth. What have they said about nuts and seeds? Ground almonds can have a very luxurious taste in some things.

OTOH, rejigging the heating systems sounds a win-win, short term and long term. And easy, thank heavens.

I'm good, thanks - I get very tired by late afternoon, but that's how it is: talk about "prepping when ill or infirm", the title of the thread, very apt. I'd say I live by:
- prioritising important things by doing them when I have most energy.
- if good weather is forecast, get the washing machine on early, or even take a chance and wash the evening before so I can peg it out first thing in the morning and get another hour of sunshine.
- space out appointments: the philosophy of "get it all done" stops applying, because if I don't rest enough, I'll be out for the count. Nowadays, its only 3 days, it used to be for a month.
- I'm sure there's a million little things, but those are the main ones.
How similar! We have to take time. My neighbour Ian,has been to see me today. He has a similar illness to me,and we were talking about our habits and daily timings in the same way. We have to adapt to the situations,no question about it.

Regarding food,well what can I say? Tonight will be a mild vegetable curry with a little rice and a little bread. And regardless,I will have just one medium glass of wine. My blood tests come out ok right now,so it’s everything in moderation. I enjoy a curry,and mental health is most important.

From a prepping perspective,the rice was stored ,and some of the veg from my garden! :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
mbbaltic

Post by mbbaltic »

Practical as ever!

I loved our woodburner when we installed it but I think we will have to have a rethink in the next year or two. Tightening rules haven't officially affected us yet but we are nervous about lighting the stove before it gets dark in case any neighbour complains. And stacking the logs is getting physically demanding now we are getting onnabit (i refuse to admit I am elderly but I will soon be overdrawn on the old three score and ten). And expensive! We will use up our logs and then probably sell the stove and get a flame effect gas fire for looks and put in bigger radiators so that the central heating is enough warmth. The gas fire should still give us an alternative means of heat in a power cut plus we have a couple of freestanding calor gas stoves
jansman

Post by jansman »

mbbaltic wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:50 pm Practical as ever!

I loved our woodburner when we installed it but I think we will have to have a rethink in the next year or two. Tightening rules haven't officially affected us yet but we are nervous about lighting the stove before it gets dark in case any neighbour complains. And stacking the logs is getting physically demanding now we are getting onnabit (i refuse to admit I am elderly but I will soon be overdrawn on the old three score and ten). And expensive! We will use up our logs and then probably sell the stove and get a flame effect gas fire for looks and put in bigger radiators so that the central heating is enough warmth. The gas fire should still give us an alternative means of heat in a power cut plus we have a couple of freestanding calor gas stoves
Your situation I understand. The regulations are creeping in,and hoofing the fuel is a major issue . My wife was not prepared to do that if I couldn’t. My neighbour who came to see me is the bloke who helped me install my first stove all those years ago. We were strong back then! Now he too is considering taking his two out also.

When I think back to when I started prepping‘officially’ I was like superman. So was Ian. Not now. So let’s all pitch in ,those of us older or unwell ,and see how we can prep upon that angle. 👍

Robert Frost.

Me.