Help! Moving to London!

How are you preparing
mikefranks

Help! Moving to London!

Post by mikefranks »

Hi everyone! hope everyone’s doing well!

So I’m from Buckinghamshire, moved to Berkshire and now moving to East London! Due to work I’m having to move, any advice on preps for London? its very busy and congested! Downsizing so won’t have the space I have now! Shifting over in the new year.
PreppingSu

Re: Help! Moving to London!

Post by PreppingSu »

Have a range of different routes to get from work to home so if the tubes are down you have ways of getting home.
Have a range of routes to get out of London I'm a hurry if you need to.
Make sure your everyday carry bag is legal but has useful items eg bottle of water, face mask/bandana, torch.
Preps at home: alternative lighting/ cooking, stash as much food as you can find space for, make sure you have good security.
If you are living in an apartment know your emergency routes out of the building in case of fire etc.

We have members that live in London so I m sure they will be able to offer loads of advice
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Londoner here. Prepping Su has it right. If you need to commute you need the "A" route, the "B" route, the "C" route, the "D" route and the "E" route. They will all get used.
I used to work in Central London. I ensured I had cash for a cheapish hotel in case getting home one night was not going to happen and enough oddments at work to survive an overnight in the building. We went into lockdown briefly during the Westminster Bridge attack so this was a real risk. Worst case was a fifteen mile walk home so sensible shoes are also wise - and safer on the tube/trains. (The cheap hotel was next door to work)
You will spend your entire life on CCTV so grey man rules apply all day every day. Aim to look like a commuter not a "person of interest". But at the same time, pay attention to your surroundings and develop some street smarts to avoid trouble.
If SHTF it may be hard to get out of dodge as the whole place wil go into gridlock. Either plan to leave at the first hint of trouble or hunker down. The M25 makes it very easy to lock the whole place down - even to foot and bike traffic so I am dubious about getting out of dodge if things goe really bad.
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

A Bugout Bag to get out? :)
Peter

Post by Peter »

I think the above advice would apply to a lesser degree to anyone who commutes to a busy city.

Add hand sanitiser, travel tissues, a first aid kit, and some snack food to your EDC bag.
mikefranks

Post by mikefranks »

:( Thank you all for your replies! fun times ahead! (Nervous emoji)
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Some good sized plastic bags in the EDC - big enough to catch vomit or use as an emergency potty if on trains/tube. Much nicer for everyone in the compartment if the person looking green has a bag to hurl into instead of the floor. Likewise if the train is stationary for 6 hours with no way to get off and doesnt have onbaord "facilities".
mikefranks

Post by mikefranks »

Thank you all!