Garage Fridge Freezer WARNING

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jennyjj01

Garage Fridge Freezer WARNING

Post by jennyjj01 »

It's that time again, where the ambient temperature out in our garages and out-houses drops low enough to STOP the 'spare' fridge-freezer from working.

Been there, got the T shirt. I was ready for it this time, but have just found the garage freezer at just below zero C.

It's a perfectly normal phenomenon and does not mean the freezer is faulty. They just stop working in cold weather.

Tends only to effect combined Fridge Freezers. https://www.uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/vie ... er#p201562

Heating the garage, briefly, will kick the freezer back into life but it's an expensive option.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Garage Fridge Freezer WARNING

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Just leave a fan heater on in there Jenny :twisted: :shock: :lol: ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:38 pm Just leave a fan heater on in there Jenny :twisted: :shock: :lol: ;)
You remember that!. LOL. We ran the food down in it to a few expendibles in anticipation of this day.

A few months back we had a big freezer rearrangement with two going to the tip and a preowned one being brought into use. That one hasn't shown any issues, yet. Touch wood. We are on 'high alert' to them thawing.

At the moment, we are not running any off solar. That was just not contributing enough to justify stressing the batteries.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

korolev

Post by korolev »

Some freezers are ok for use in an outhouse (we specifically bought our Beko for this).
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

korolev wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:33 am Some freezers are ok for use in an outhouse (we specifically bought our Beko for this).
Beko make a selling point of that. It's almost exclusively the old fashioned tall fridge freezer combos that fail..... The sort we relegated to the garage when we had the kitchen done, because 'its too good to sling'

Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Also opted for a specific freezer when we needed one for our garage during lockdown. Defrosted it last weekend for the first time and managed to find a joint of beef which was probably from 2020 which we had for tea last night, bit freezer burnt around the edges but tasted just fine and a few bits of party food which we had for lunch on Sunday which were probably left over from Christmas 2020, 2021 or last year. Need to be a little bit more organised with my freezer stores I think with a magnetic whiteboard or something.
Growing old disgracefully!