Prepper -'lite' or full on survivalist

How are you preparing
jennyjj01

Re: Prepper -'lite' or full on survivalist

Post by jennyjj01 »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:25 pm Ramble deleted.
Aw. I missed a good ramble :(
Anyone care to PM me the crux of it. Love a good ramble.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
korolev

Post by korolev »

Full on survivalist, me. Got a concrete bunker with enough food for two year.....
"Korolev, wake up son, time for your pills...."

Sorry, I'd put myself as prepper-lite I guess; I have resources and skills to see me through medium crises like when covid first hit but in a teotwawki situation, I'm toast; I'm 60 years old and couldn't defend myself against a couple of younger blokes determined to nick my stuff. My only hope would be to act like I've not got anything either.
Jeffjones297

Post by Jeffjones297 »

Prepper lite here, Im considering the scenarios that require sitting on your hands, in situ, waiting for events/authorities to kick back in and return to some semblance of normality.
Such a return and the timescale, is dependent upon the nature, of any such emergency. My job (as I see it) is to foresee complications and shortages and sensibly prepper for them, thus avoiding hardship or suffering for my loved ones.
Acting as the grey man during this time, complaining about not having anything, or standing in line at the shop or standpipe, is part of that, you don't want to be noticed as the only one who doesn't queue for anything, yet appears to have what he needs !
Full on survivalist, seems more of a male fantasy and a failed strategy to me, why hide in the woods with a bow n arrow under a tarp, when you have four protected walls and the means to survive, build, grow and store to hand.
it's taking a difficult situation and acting out a repressed back to nature machismo, with little real need.
There may be scenarios where that is necessary but I don't see it yet, or in the west yet.
Certainly at my age 67, it is simply ridiculous and if that was what was required to survive, I doubt I would.

So in short, to me. It's about anticipating problems and shortages and planning for them, to ensure your families health and comfort, until some semblance of order, is returned from chaos, without drawing attention to yourself. Fuel shortages, medicine shortages, food shortages, utility disruption, NHS breakdown are possible to cope with, with a little prep.
If things are permanently destabilised, then a long term, more full on strategy will be required.

But to me prepping is the place to start, not end of the world extreme survivalist living.
PPrep

Post by PPrep »

Perhaps lower to medium "prepper lite" here. I have about 3 months' food, 5 weeks water (in the cold water tank and hot water cylinder), water filtration, a bit of 12v solar power, very basic first aid and sundry items. My prepping is aimed at intermittent food shortages, water supply and long power cuts. I feel this is how society may move. My back won't allow me to grow food. I'm limited to "passive" prepping because of my age. I do wonder whether in the case of complete societal breakdown, I would only last a few days in my semi-urban/not-quite-rural environment before the mobs arrive to plunder after a few days. In this case I would only need a couple of weeks' food, maybe. Then, anything can happen.
jansman

Post by jansman »

PPrep wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:46 am Perhaps lower to medium "prepper lite" here. I have about 3 months' food, 5 weeks water (in the cold water tank and hot water cylinder), water filtration, a bit of 12v solar power, very basic first aid and sundry items. My prepping is aimed at intermittent food shortages, water supply and long power cuts. I feel this is how society may move. My back won't allow me to grow food. I'm limited to "passive" prepping because of my age. I do wonder whether in the case of complete societal breakdown, I would only last a few days in my semi-urban/not-quite-rural environment before the mobs arrive to plunder after a few days. In this case I would only need a couple of weeks' food, maybe. Then, anything can happen.
You are not alone. My age and health now put me in a similar position. For instance dealing with power cuts or shortages in shops, bank playing up etc.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Jeffjones297 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:03 pm Prepper lite here, Im considering the scenarios that require sitting on your hands, in situ, waiting for events/authorities to kick back in and return to some semblance of normality.
Such a return and the timescale, is dependent upon the nature, of any such emergency. My job (as I see it) is to foresee complications and shortages and sensibly prepper for them, thus avoiding hardship or suffering for my loved ones.
Acting as the grey man during this time, complaining about not having anything, or standing in line at the shop or standpipe, is part of that, you don't want to be noticed as the only one who doesn't queue for anything, yet appears to have what he needs !
Full on survivalist, seems more of a male fantasy and a failed strategy to me, why hide in the woods with a bow n arrow under a tarp, when you have four protected walls and the means to survive, build, grow and store to hand.
it's taking a difficult situation and acting out a repressed back to nature machismo, with little real need.
There may be scenarios where that is necessary but I don't see it yet, or in the west yet.
Certainly at my age 67, it is simply ridiculous and if that was what was required to survive, I doubt I would.

So in short, to me. It's about anticipating problems and shortages and planning for them, to ensure your families health and comfort, until some semblance of order, is returned from chaos, without drawing attention to yourself. Fuel shortages, medicine shortages, food shortages, utility disruption, NHS breakdown are possible to cope with, with a little prep.
If things are permanently destabilised, then a long term, more full on strategy will be required.

But to me prepping is the place to start, not end of the world extreme survivalist living.
UK and US governments both say people should have an emergency grab bag and evacuation plan. They don't go into much detail about specific reasons why you might have to evacuate. The US government does say you might have to evacuate after some chemical and radiological incidents. Obviously you might have to evacuate if your house is flooded, burned down, or the roof is ripped off by a tornado. Another scenario might be if armed gangs are systematically looting street by street. In that scenario it might be best to get away for a couple of days. Whatever you took with you is stuff they can't take.
Here is the CDC page on evacuation after a radiation emergency. In this example they talk about evacuating to a designated emergency shelter. Of course this might be a sports hall or tents, so you might be sleeping on the ground and it might be cold.
https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/radiation/emer ... uation.htm
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

PPrep wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:46 am I do wonder whether in the case of complete societal breakdown, I would only last a few days in my semi-urban/not-quite-rural environment before the mobs arrive to plunder after a few days. In this case I would only need a couple of weeks' food, maybe. Then, anything can happen.
In this situation my plan is to scarper for a couple of days. Everything I take with me is stuff they don't get. This is assuming I didn't think me and my neighbours could defend the street against them of course. Worst case scenario.
PPrep

Post by PPrep »

I do have a BOB, but it's mainly intended for enforced evacuation or for partnering my BOV (only if I'm desperate). The BOV is good for about 5 reasonably comfortable but boring days. From what I can find out, a decision needs to be taken in the first 18 to 30 hours when bugging out from a city, depending on circumstances. Later, roads are likely to become blocked and dangerous places.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Pepper ish. I'm aiming to provide a reasonably comfortable living for myself and my descendants in the event of long economic decline. If I can also help my local community that's a bonus.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Catweazle wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:04 pm Pepper ish. I'm aiming to provide a reasonably comfortable living for myself and my descendants in the event of long economic decline. If I can also help my local community that's a bonus.
Being able to live comfortably, which for most implies financial security, is the most important part of prepping imo.