NRG-5 rations or freeze dried rations?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jennyjj01

Re: NRG-5 rations or freeze dried rations?

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:36 am depends on what you are prepping for and what extended pantry you are fitting them into. Personally, they are not for me
Omega wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:56 am More to bug out than bug in. Also, I want to use it instead of my lunch when I work on remote client sites where it is hard to get some food without driving somewhere else.
Thanks, and sorry. I hadn't picked up on it being for Bugout. As ForgeCorvus said "They're 'lifeboat' type rations, best to use them as such"
As such, you can overlook the cost.
Frnc wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:03 am It is bugout bag food. Needs no water or heat.
Yes. Sorry. I overlooked that.
frnc wrote:Instant noodles is a good idea, but what sort of website doesn't tell you calories etc? Noodles that come in plastic pots are a bit bulky for bugout. The ones in packets could be 'cooked' in the freezer bags I mentioned. You don't need to actually cook these.
IF I had a BOB*, I'd pop a tin mug in it. We're going to need to take in water, so I assume some would be available.
You are right about the unlisted (341) Cal count. I was irritated looking for that, but it's on the bags. Flapjacks good for about a year if kept cool..
Pot Noodle type rations just waste space.

* I'm inclined to make my first BOB. Currently just a gym bag and pretty useless.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:42 pm
IF I had a BOB*, I'd pop a tin mug in it. We're going to need to take in water, so I assume some would be available.
You are right about the unlisted (341) Cal count. I was irritated looking for that, but it's on the bags. Flapjacks good for about a year if kept cool..
Pot Noodle type rations just waste space.

* I'm inclined to make my first BOB. Currently just a gym bag and pretty useless.
My BOB has a titanium pot/mug, 1.1 litres. Inside it is a small gas canister plus a stove. The stove screws into the top of the gas. They seal themselves when you take the stove off. I'm not 100% sure the gas would boil enough water for my 5 meals, but I'm fairly sure it would. The pot has a folding handle plus a hanging loop. I have a titanium chain, which could hang the pot over an open fire, if my bugout got extended.

Water: I have the following
1 collapsible Platypus full (1 litre) in my BOB
2 empty Platypuses in BOB.
2 filters, Lifestraw and Sawyer Micro in BOB.
2 bike water bottles plus 1 small one full in fridge
One 1.2 litre Nalgene bottle full
0.5 lite Platypus full
1 empty larger collapsible water bottle in BOB, but tbh I bought it to use as a night time pee bottle and can't remember if I used it! But in a bugout, that could be useful anyway. I have a plastic trowl for number twos.

My bike can only carry one plus a small one at the moment, I took one cage off.
I might not be able to carry all of these due to weight and space. The bike can carry plenty of weight. I do have a bigger rucksack (90 litres).
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

You should. A rucksack is more practical. Size-wise, depends, if you want to be self sufficient, outdoors for several days, ie carry some form of shelter, and be warm in winter, you need at least 50 litres, preferably more. You might need 90.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Frnc wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:25 pm
You should. A rucksack is more practical. Size-wise, depends, if you want to be self sufficient, outdoors for several days, ie carry some form of shelter, and be warm in winter, you need at least 50 litres, preferably more. You might need 90.
But a random (possibly slightly worn) gym bag doesn't scream "I'm a prepper with lots of good stuff to rob"

Omega: I get it, you're planning on rotating in the times you're working out of the car and MFA but want something thats 'stash&forget'. They'll do that.
Just out of interest, how often are you likely to be living out of your carkit?
I know a few people who film on location and I'm looking to copy some of their ideas, I'll be sharing my research on here.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Frnc wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:02 pm Why do you want 20 year shelf life? This only makes sense if you have 20 years food stashed. If you only stash enough for 2 months, you only need 2 months shelf life.
Because you can buy and forget about them. No rotation at all.

If bought today a 3 month supply would be out of date in 2043. What will the food prices be then?

They are your food insurance, there for if TSHTF, your 2 months stash ( or longer) is your everyday food items that you eat and rotate out.

20 years food stashed shouldn't be done in one go or all the food will become out of date at the same time.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

pseudonym wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:46 am
Frnc wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:02 pm Why do you want 20 year shelf life? This only makes sense if you have 20 years food stashed. If you only stash enough for 2 months, you only need 2 months shelf life.
Because you can buy and forget about them. No rotation at all.

If bought today a 3 month supply would be out of date in 2043. What will the food prices be then?

They are your food insurance, there for if TSHTF, your 2 months stash ( or longer) is your everyday food items that you eat and rotate out.

20 years food stashed shouldn't be done in one go or all the food will become out of date at the same time.
Fair enough. Good point actually. I did buy one FYP 25 year tin when I first started prepping. But it's quite expensive. I do have 7 year life BOB food, as I mentioned. That is also expensive - cost me about £50 for 4,700 calories. But of course many of us spend £ hundreds or even thousands in total on prepping over the years, and a food store is important, so I suppose a few FYP tins does make sense. I'll maybe get a few more eventually.

Normal food cupboard rotation - I agree 2 months at shtf consumption rates is about right. You will be rationing, but after the first week you'll be eating this a lot more than normal. So it might take a year to rotate.

Also there is a third category, which has a normal 1-2 year shelf life, which you may end up chucking, giving to food banks, or eating some of and chucking some of. This category for me includes Nido, cheese powder, and I was planning to buy some egg powder. I used to have egg powder and did manage to eat most of it. But I didn't eat all my Nido and gave one tin to a food bank.

I do buy a few cupboard items that have fairly short lives, so I have to remember these and get them used, eg some 3 month naans and Spice Taylor curry.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:37 am
Frnc wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:02 pmIf you only stash enough for 2 months, you only need 2 months shelf life.
Because you can buy and forget about them. No rotation at all....

Normal food cupboard rotation - I agree 2 months at shtf consumption rates is about right. You will be rationing, but after the first week you'll be eating this a lot more than normal. So it might take a year to rotate.

Also there is a third category, which has a normal 1-2 year shelf life, which you may end up chucking, giving to food banks, or eating some of and chucking some of. This category for me includes Nido, cheese powder, and I was planning to buy some egg powder. I used to have egg powder and did manage to eat most of it. But I didn't eat all my Nido and gave one tin to a food bank.
FRNC,
You've inspired me to start a stock-take. I'll publish it later for our amusement. I'll tell you now there will be tins BBE 2019 or earlier. :D

Powdered egg.... I have some BBE 2018 and I'm happy to use it.
One day Botulism will get me. Not happened yet.

Big problem with expired food is that I won't feed it to MrJJ, because I don't want to eat Jail food if I poison him.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:53 am

Because you can buy and forget about them. No rotation at all....

FRNC,
You've inspired me to start a stock-take. I'll publish it later for our amusement. I'll tell you now there will be tins BBE 2019 or earlier. :D

Big problem with expired food is that I won't feed it to MrJJ, because I don't want to eat Jail food if I poison him.
Get it binned.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

You have reminded me that I was going to grab some of my older Nido and try makuing Mozarella and paneer with it.
https://www.inthekitchenwithmatt.com/mo ... ilk-powder
https://www.youreverydaycook.com/blog/h ... ilk-powder Uses lime juice but other recipes use lemon juice or vinegar.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Frnc wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:45 am
jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:53 am

FRNC,

Get it binned.
Don't be so wasteful.

BBE means Best Before End.

https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygiene/ ... ce%20cream)

Use by is the ones you must adhere to.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.