Decanting dry foods? Milk Bottles?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jennyjj01

Re: Decanting dry foods? Milk Bottles?

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:54 am Getting them bone dry, esp inside the handles is the next hurdle.
jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:10 pm I wash them in warm water. Give a shake to inflate them to full shape, drain, then leave on their side with lid off for a day, then pop a gel bag in and lid on until ready to use them. That seems to work.
FAIL! Back to the drawing board! :? :( :o
I reported success drying them, but this last week, I failed miserably.

Washed and rinsed in hot tap water: drained upside down overnight, sat on radiator all day and popped a silica gel bag in for over 4 days. I was convinced they would be bone dry and ready for rice and oats.....

Nope: Lots of visible blobs of water inside the bottle, especially the handle. Maybe it's the weather, maybe it's rubbish silica gel, but these beggars don't want to get dry after almost a week. If I ever need to create a 'water from fresh air' generator, then it'll be an array of milk bottles. :roll:

I currently have them open on top of the radiator again. No way I dare put rice or oats in them until every tiny droplet of water is gone. The gel bags are going to get baked a while to refresh them.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

You have just made me glad I opted for heavy duty ziplock bags for my big sack of oats....
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

GillyBee wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:30 pm You have just made me glad I opted for heavy duty ziplock bags for my big sack of oats....
:D
I haven't given up on the milk bottle idea, but will certainly revisit drying them. The silica gel bags actually felt a bit damp when pulled from the bottle. I thought silica gel was supposed to change colour when saturated?
Anyhow. Bottles back on the radiator and gel bags will go in after a brief bake in the oven.

No oats were harmed in the making of this presentation :)
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong