Preparing for Winter 2023/24

How are you preparing
deckard

Re: Preparing for Winter 2023/24

Post by deckard »

Thats taken the thread off topic, sorry.

We need to top up the medicine cabinet, and change smoke alarm batteries tomorrow.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Wouldn't mind I walked in covered in oil and grease in what was once a set of high Vis overalls .. we've got a good independent garage but when I can I DIY the money I can save having got most of the tools to hand can be astounding .... Don't t forget to check the coolants antifreeze is strong enough for winter ;)

Bits to get my diesel heater upto speed have come.. was just about as cheap to get a full ducting kit intake/ exhaust / muffler/ clamps and hai air duct as it was just to buy the air intake pipe :?

12v outlet has come to add to my solar system too so a few jobs this weekend
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

deckard wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:28 pm Thats taken the thread off topic, sorry.
Very much appreciated by me. Do we have a car thread? I don't feel I've the right to start it myself, as I'm still in the process of re-learning driving and finding one to buy, but it seems like we need it. I need it, anyway, badly :?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:20 am
deckard wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:28 pm Thats taken the thread off topic, sorry.
Very much appreciated by me. Do we have a car thread? I don't feel I've the right to start it myself, as I'm still in the process of re-learning driving and finding one to buy, but it seems like we need it. I need it, anyway, badly :?

We've got the transport and logistics section ;)

https://www.uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=20

Many people do fail to prep their cars for winter though ..

Antifreeze checks many neglect this and repairs can be very expensive (antifreeze/ coolant system cools the engine via a pump which circulates the water. Round the engine Into the cabin matrix (little radiator) to provide hot air for the cabin heater/ demister then once upto temperature the mechanical thermostat opens to let water flow through the radiator behind the front grill to keep cooling the water by forced air flow whilst driving or electric fan if stationary ... If this water solution freezes it can burst the radiator / thermostat housing and in major cold snaps damage the engine block itself or push out the core plugs.....

Get the battery tested too with what was called a drop test the newer digital systems are a bit more detailed and posher

Likewise cooler temperatures tyres loose pressure

Screen wash should be frost resistant mixed to the required dilution depending on the forecast

Wiper blades checked they are not frozen to the screen before setting off (good way to avoid needing a new £200 wiper linkage assembly. Motor turns but the wipers don't move due to being stuck then good case the rubbers snap off the wiper frames and the frames scratch the windscreen or something goes snap in the wiper assembly and they don't move again ..)

That's before getting on to what to cary in the car :twisted:

Or undersealing which has fallen out of fashion but it really does help preserve the underside of the car mine got a good coat of corrolan in the summer heatwave it doesn't do any harm and slows the formation of tin worm ;)

Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Undersealling's a bloody advisory on your MOT now! Apparently because it can potentially hide rust or other defects so they can't check properly. At least that's wot my mot tester told me last time round.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:13 am
Arzosah wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:20 am

We've got the transport and logistics section ;)

https://www.uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=20
Oops :oops: I'm so used to just using the Active Topics link at the top left, I forget about looking at, y'know, the whole forum. Ta muchly!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Nurseandy wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:53 pm Undersealling's a bloody advisory on your MOT now! Apparently because it can potentially hide rust or other defects so they can't check properly. At least that's wot my mot tester told me last time round.
Stuff I used dries sort of honey coloured so you can see through it the mot man just complains it slightly tacky... He also complains about tyre shine getting all over his gloves :lol:

Ara

Post by Ara »

Oil tank's full, had a woodstove fitted in summer to beat the rush and that's had a couple of tries on some cool evenings. It's miserly with the wood compared with the open fire that was there before. Found the battery lanterns and there are plenty of batteries. Mr A bought an axe to chop wood for kindling. I stupidly asked what happened to the one at the last house but it was left behind as he said it wasn't very good and came with the house anyway. Plenty of wood at the back of the garage. We know where the de-icer for the car is but Mr A couldn't find a scraper. (There's one in the garage on top of one of the freezers but I suspect he's put something on top of it. I must go and look when I finish here.) Both had our covid and flu jabs as we are in the "at risk" group due to age and infirmities, sigh. Still need to buy a new electric blanket - one that has dual controls and timers. I like to get into a warm bed but don't like the heat on all night because I get too hot. Also need to stock up on some more tins so we don't have to go out if there's a foot of snow. I also acquired a stick that doesn't look like a walking stick to use in snowy weather. My balance isn't good at the best of times! I'm sure there's plenty more to do but that will do for now.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I've lit the bio ethanol fireplace to test it.... Just a 100 ml dose to burn the dust off it and ensure its not developed any issues ...

Got the cars checked tonight (Digital battery tester showed (good) on both cars..

Both cars are showing close to -20 °c protection on the coolant frost resistance .. I've ordered a better tester tonight the bulb on my hydrometer pipette has perished

And whilst I was at it did the brake fluid both showing <1% moisture content so all is good

Other Parts for my diesel heater have come so that's been sorted today no more beer can heat shield where the exhaust passes through the shed wall :lol: it'll trigger some that the exhaust fittings are inside but it's only to keep the frost off / boost the effecency of the tumble drier it's not a dwelling .. and I want to be able to move it if needed to duct hot air into the house of needed so it's staying as a all in one unit ... There's a co alarm in there and fire detection too...so I don't envision any issue ..

Kids electric blankets need getting out tomorrow and fitting when I strip their beds for wash .. dry day tomorrow so that's the mornings task I'll give them a good look over and put them on the pat tester to check for any issues whilst I'm at it work was skipping the virtually unused tester so it fell in my car ...

Picked up another couple of cans of deicer and mixed up some winter screenwash from concentrate and water in 5l containers it makes dosing much simpler if it's pre mixed 1:4 at the moment that's good to -5°C till winter really bites then I'll make a stronger mix up ..

and added a slug of neat concentrate to both cars to boost up the protection...for now since both still have summer mix in them

Tomorrow I'll dig out my work thermals too

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Turned the c/h to On. Forced it on. Checked all rdiators. Bled the bathroom towel rail rad a bit. Checked boiler pressure. Boiler was serviced not long ago. It is only a year old. I'm on a 10 year fixed price service contract, all parts and labour included.

Outside is 3° this morning, colder than normal for this time of year. I didn't use any heating last October.

Living room is 17.5°, so heating's not quite triggered. I've had the Dimplex electric radiator on in my room for an hour, turned to about 35%, so it runs about 5 minutes every 15-20 minutes. It's 700W, so it's using about 0.2 kW/h. It's warmed my room from 19.2° to 19.9-20.0 and stabalised there.

Apart from the heater, I'm using 87w per hour for computer, TV (which is my monitor), bedroom light and fridge/freezer. Edit. A bit more than this actually. Is 110w at the moment, but was 160 earlier. That must be the fridge. One lodger is away and I think the other is still alseep.
Last edited by Frnc on Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.