Now I've seen it all (PotatoSmart)

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jennyjj01

Re: Now I've seen it all (PotatoSmart)

Post by jennyjj01 »

lowlander wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:07 pm
Nurseandy wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:46 am I needed some resealable glass bottles for homebred so took one for the team and bought a case of grolsch. Win win 🏆
Another case of using the right thing for the job. I've long lost count of the times I've tried to get people to use the proper bottles for beer, elderflower champagne etc. I've had elderflower blow the bottom very neatly off a Grolsch bottle - imagine how much worse the danger is using wine bottles, jam jars (yes really :roll: ) etc. Like Kilners, Grolsch bottles last for years, replacement rubber seals easily found when required after they begin to perish

Some folk just won't listen, though - on their heads be it if they won't learn from acquired knowledge and experience, very short sighted.
I'm with Andy on the grolsch bottles for home brew beer. Asti bottles for fizzy wine and cork bottles for still wine. I'm still using brown beer bottles from 1977. Bought back when everyone was selling them.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:22 am I have a rather ancient tupperware cereal tub. The round pouring lid is a bit pants and doesn't seal well. We did have a tub with weetabix written on the side. Almost every time I picked it up the lid would come off and it would be weetabix everywhere. I don't mind such designer containers out of any sort of spite, but they are so stupidly expensive and the sets never quite fit the requirement so you end up with a hodge podge of solutions. Where are CarrotSpart, CourgetteSmart, TomatoSmart? :P
Another one that winds me up is Kilner Jars. A local hardware store, and the Range and various garden centres often have a dedicated end display of Kilner jars. Why should it be that an empty jam jar can cost £4. At those prices I'd expect them to be full of caviar, or at least something nice. Or a 189ml milk bottle at £6 !!! What?!

https://www.therange.co.uk/cooking-and- ... 96#9100996

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=kilner+jar ... vymcmrxs_e

Fun fact Jeremy Clarkson's descended from John Kilner, founder of the famous glass company.
https://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine ... -clarkson/
Reason I got the cereal ones was I noticed steam coming out of our microwave, and my cereal boxes were on top. Got the pasta ones to keep it fresh and make pouring it out easier, as the bags rip. The cornflour one is for when it's half full, it's messy trying to teaspoon out a bit from low down. Incidentally, the plastic lining of the microwave has lifted under the turntable, so it won't last a huge amount of time. Fortunately my roof worries are basically over now. Almost re-done now, and these guys are great.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:05 pm Reason I got the cereal ones was I noticed steam coming out of our microwave, and my cereal boxes were on top. Got the pasta ones to keep it fresh and make pouring it out easier, as the bags rip. The cornflour one is for when it's half full, it's messy trying to teaspoon out a bit from low down. Incidentally, the plastic lining of the microwave has lifted under the turntable, so it won't last a huge amount of time. Fortunately my roof worries are basically over now. Almost re-done now, and these guys are great.
Good reason to use containers. Apart from my kenco jars, I quite like These from Home Bargain available in different sizes and quite cheap.

Looksee on Facebook Marketplace for cheap microwaves, or buy new :)
Glad to hear your roof is fixed.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I have a lot of the OXO good grips pop top containers. They are disgustingly expensive but have lasted well and are quite literally the only container on the market that can be opened by an elbow on those occasions when the arthritic hands don't want to work
For jam I now have a large collection of the old "2lb" size jars courtesy of my son's love of Sainsbury's peanut butter. If I see a Kilner at a car boot I grab it but have enough now to not want to pay full price. I have also tested the jam jars and they happily water bath process fruit when I ever manage get any.
Elderflower cordial goes into a mixed collection of swing top bottles.
I did have elderberry wine explode on me once. Thankfully it just blew the cork's out but the explosion risk is quite real.
lowlander

Post by lowlander »

GillyBee wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:34 pm
Elderflower cordial goes into a mixed collection of swing top bottles.
My cordial goes into ordinary screwtop bottles, but the fizzy champagne is a very different beast, so it goes into Grolsch/swingtops, as does beer and mead.