How long can you sustain your family on your stored food? And tips how to rotate

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
pseudonym

Re: How long can you sustain your family on your stored food? And tips how to rotate

Post by pseudonym »

Snip>
Medusa wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:13 pm I am quite proud that we rarely run out of anything at this house
And so you should be. :D

Food insurance is a good thing, It's only bad when family and friends complain you have soooooooooo much and they have nothing :roll:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Peter

Re: How long can you sustain your family on your stored food? And tips how to rotate

Post by Peter »

pseudonym wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:01 am Snip> [quote=Medusa post_id=233301 time=<a href="tel:1696446805">1696446805</a> user_id=6160]
I am quite proud that we rarely run out of anything at this house
And so you should be. :D

Food insurance is a good thing, It's only bad when family and friends complain you have soooooooooo much and they have nothing :roll:
[/quote]

Most of us here have given up expensive foreign holidays, luxury cars, huge televisions (ours is a 30 inch and
15 years ) to fund our preps, should we subsidise those who do ?. OPSEC is essential.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Most of us here have given up expensive foreign holidays, luxury cars, huge televisions (ours is a 30 inch and
15 years ) to fund our preps, should we subsidise those who do ?. OPSEC is essential.
Yes. Those hungry family and friends will only comment if they know you have soooo much. Shhhhh.

A friend in need is... a PITA.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:40 pm . Those hungry family and friends will only comment if they know you have soooo much. Shhhhh.

A friend in need is... a PITA.
A friend in need is a PITA and a close family member is probably an Achilles heel. How many of us would just stand by and watch a parent or sibling descend into suffering? My own sister in law is an example , she's all big fancy tv's , flash holidays and more cars than she needs. She can moan at olympic leve! and can irritate me at times. If I'd have married her I'd either be divorced or serving life by now. But at the end of the day she's my wife's sister and when her marriage fell apart we took her in and later helped her with a considerable amount of money towards a house. Family bonds and all that and while I describe it as an Achilles heel I'm not sure I'd want to live in a world where nobody had any trust or empathy or even would lift a finger to help a family member...
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Of course if your food stores are in the form of porridge oats, rice and beans which (shock horror) have to be cooked then the relatives may not be so keen if they ask for a handout and get the basics we have been storing in bulk.
That luxury lifestyle tends to also like luxury or easy foods.
I could see the response to my generosity being a conversation along the lines of
"Can I have some of your food? I know you keep a lot in the house"
"I can let you have a meal or two of basics. I have some oats, beans & rice in stock"
"Dont you have anything ready to serve? I dont cook"
"Sorry mate. You could have a cup or two of oats Oats can be eaten raw with water if you are hungry."
" My kids won't eat that. Can I share the cereal you are feeding yours on ?"
" Sure. They eat oats......."
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

GillyBee wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:49 am Of course if your food stores are in the form of porridge oats, rice and beans which (shock horror) have to be cooked then the relatives may not be so keen if they ask for a handout and get the basics we have been storing in bulk.
That luxury lifestyle tends to also like luxury or easy foods.
I
"Well if you can't spare any weetabix, how about lending me £20 so we can get Deliveroo. We can eat it together"

But seriously, The sense of entitlement in most people is off the charts. Go into any KFC and see the teenage girls with their £50 nails and painted eyebrows, with their iPhones sticking out of their designer jeans. Do you think these kids will eat broth?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

I used to eat raw oats with milk as a kid. I ate it cooked as well. But frequently raw. It's just the same as eating cereal.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:25 am I used to eat raw oats with milk as a kid. I ate it cooked as well. But frequently raw. It's just the same as eating cereal.
Heck, raw porridge oats, a few bran flakes blitzed for a few seconds and add a sprinkle of mixed dried fruit and you have perfectly good muesli. Toasting the oats is optional as is adding chopped nuts and that god awful dessicated coconuts. Since oats are only 90p a kilo and make the bulk of it, it's really cheap. Who needs Alpen?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/basicmuesli_67724.
I eat this at least 3 days a week with milk. A splash of honey for a rare treat and warmed milk in Winter.

Muesli is a proper breakfast, not a compromise.

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:26 am
Frnc wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:25 am I used to eat raw oats with milk as a kid. I ate it cooked as well. But frequently raw. It's just the same as eating cereal.
Heck, raw porridge oats, a few bran flakes blitzed for a few seconds and add a sprinkle of mixed dried fruit and you have perfectly good muesli. Toasting the oats is optional as is adding chopped nuts and that god awful dessicated coconuts. Since oats are only 90p a kilo and make the bulk of it, it's really cheap. Who needs Alpen?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/basicmuesli_67724.
I eat this at least 3 days a week with milk. A splash of honey for a rare treat and warmed milk in Winter.

Muesli is a proper breakfast, not a compromise.
Reminds me of the old joke, something along the times of....heck, all you need to do is add an egg or two, couple of slices of toast, some sausages, and you've got a meal right there!

Muesli is great, but high in oxalates. For low oxalates and low salt, I get Aldi cornflakes or Sainsbury's Rice Pops. For sweetner I use Stevia drops.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

We eat a lot of oats bought in bulk as Gluten Free is so ridiculously expensive in the supermarkets.
Raw with milk/seeds/nuts is pretty much daily. Cooked as porridge in the winter.
No fresh milk would mean Nido or just water and a sweetener if available.
Also good as a substitute for breadcrumbs in meatloaves, patties etc.