I'm new

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Forager

I'm new

Post by Forager »

Hello everyone, I thought I would introduce myself here 1st. I've always kept some food in stock, but nothing too serious. As my name suggests, I enjoy foraging and a bit of wild camping. Although I'm not particularly good at it.
I just think I should maybe up my game on the prepping front with what is going on in the world. I'm keen to learn and maybe add my tuppence worth if I think it may help anyone
Yorkshire Andy

Re: I'm new

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Welcome to the forum :)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Welcome. Have a good look round and feel free to ask questions
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Hi from Manchester
Forager

Post by Forager »

Thank you for the welcomes. I'm looking for some ideas on what foods I can store long term. I already store rice, pasta, flour, salt, sugar, and honey. As I eat these regularly, and I can rotate them. My problem is, I don't really eat tinned stuff, so I'm looking for better ideas.
I also have a decent selection of herbs and spices. Then I'm relying on what I can grow on my allotment and what I can forage.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Hi and welcome.
If you've given the slightest thought to being prepared, then you are ahead of your neighbours in the chances of a less disrupted life. And really, that's at the heart of prepping.
I look forward to reading your contributions here. Don't be shy. :)
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Forager wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:22 am Thank you for the welcomes. I'm looking for some ideas on what foods I can store long term. I already store rice, pasta, flour, salt, sugar, and honey. As I eat these regularly, and I can rotate them. My problem is, I don't really eat tinned stuff, so I'm looking for better ideas.
I also have a decent selection of herbs and spices. Then I'm relying on what I can grow on my allotment and what I can forage.
I would suggest tubes of tomato puree. They are cheap, and you can make loads of pasta sauce from one tube (at least 4 meals). Also, if you eat fish, tuna fridge pots, when they are on offer. They have at least a year shelf life, and take up little space. Corn starch powder is good for all sorts. I keep tins of butter beans, as they take minimal cooking compared to dried. Onion powder and garlic powder, mixed herbs. I used to keep Sainbury Instant Mash, but am tying to keep to a low oxalate diet.
HomeHardener

Post by HomeHardener »

Welcome!

Something to add with things you already keep stores of.

Have a think about what exactly you’re going to do with the things you store if you had no access to a shop or supermarket.

Flour for example, keep some yeast too if you intend on making bread with it.

Pasta + Rice (in the unlikely event of the taps running dry) do you have access to clean water to cook it? Then… what are you going to eat with it.

My cooking day to day for my family consists of 99% fresh or dried foods.
But once a week I try to make a decent meal from dried and tinned foods.

This helps me to evaluate the goods I store and if I can actually prepare a meal from them. For example, I used to keep tinned chickpeas, but I knew no recipes from memory, that called for chickpeas… so a total waste of my prepping space.

Also don’t forget about things like first aid supplies/medicines and toiletries (toothpaste, soap etc)

What exactly are you prepping for, if anything
@Homehardening_uk
Forager

Post by Forager »

I just think things look like they are going to turn bad. I think theres a good chance of war breaking out somewhere. This could disrupt the supply lines and lead to a shortage of food? If this doesn't happen, then ive saved some money on food. I could lose my job, I don't know. Then there is the pandemic, I'm not sure what will happen there.
I do have bottles of water stored. This is my problem. If I'm cooking rice and pasta, what do you have with it if you don't eat tinned food? About the only tinned food I buy is coconut milk for curries, tinned tomatoes, and the odd tin of beans.
I try to stay away from processed foods as much as possible