N.H.S. views and experiences

Medical and Healthcare
Vitamin c

N.H.S. views and experiences

Post by Vitamin c »

My yearly check up has came and went it used to be a blood test and see the doctor who you could talk out any issues, go through your medication list blood pressure .
This year I went in for my blood test my blood pressure was also taken and asked a few questions regarding my general health the girl was about 23 I'd never seen her before and by the way she did my bloods not very experienced.
She never told me this was going to be the only consultation roughly 3 weeks later a gp rang me and told me my yearly check seemed to be fine .
I had a few questions for the doc as I was unaware my meeting with the young lady was it I was rushed and felt afterwards unhappy with the experience.

Is this it now all I can expect for my yearly check up surly their chance to give you a general examination has been lost .

What next a leaflet.
Fill er up jacko...
GeeGee

Re: N.H.S. views and experiences

Post by GeeGee »

I think you have to add it on to your prepping now
We have a diary open at each day and I put any questions next to it depending which hospital we are at
Mt GG has to make his own blood test apps on line now as the hospital dont do it these are to check how the chemo is affecting the blood cancer
The chemo is at home but he has to go collect it once a month
The scans he recieves a call with a choice of appointments
All these are at 3 different hospitals
The chemo at home isnt monitored by nurses we have a phone number to ring and they'll get back to you but sometimes not the same day for any questions or concerns
I have a pre payment certificate for my BP tabs as I need 2 packs a month for life ..its just me.
I call into surgery once every 6 months and take my own readings in a separate room put name on back and ill receive a text to say yes still on them or we want to see you
I dont actually see anyone or talk to anyone

I think if you look at it as prepping write your questions down plan ahead when you know that you will be seen as you've realised things have changed.. then if the person you see can't answer the questions you could possibly ring the surgery and book a appointment
We spend a lot of time prepping storing food water wood for fuel etc but seem to forget health..and its still a prep
Things are changing a lot is going online so its best to be prepared to ask to speak to your gp if you need to ...even a phone call may help...
jansman

Post by jansman »

GeeGee wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:16 am I think you have to add it on to your prepping now
We have a diary open at each day and I put any questions next to it depending which hospital we are at
Mt GG has to make his own blood test apps on line now as the hospital dont do it these are to check how the chemo is affecting the blood cancer
The chemo is at home but he has to go collect it once a month
The scans he recieves a call with a choice of appointments
All these are at 3 different hospitals
The chemo at home isnt monitored by nurses we have a phone number to ring and they'll get back to you but sometimes not the same day for any questions or concerns
I have a pre payment certificate for my BP tabs as I need 2 packs a month for life ..its just me.
I call into surgery once every 6 months and take my own readings in a separate room put name on back and ill receive a text to say yes still on them or we want to see you
I dont actually see anyone or talk to anyone

I think if you look at it as prepping write your questions down plan ahead when you know that you will be seen as you've realised things have changed.. then if the person you see can't answer the questions you could possibly ring the surgery and book a appointment
We spend a lot of time prepping storing food water wood for fuel etc but seem to forget health..and its still a prep
Things are changing a lot is going online so its best to be prepared to ask to speak to your gp if you need to ...even a phone call may help...
Just like you GeeGee, a lot of my treatment is App or e mail or phone. In a way not bad as it avoids a few physical visits that last minutes and cost us money too! I too keep notes. This week my GP will call after 2 pm. Chat on phone is easier than walking to the surgery. Today I have to call MacMillan nurse on the emergency line too in order to ascertain my drug use ( new stuff). It saves a visit.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Got a dentist checkup tomorrow. Had to fill out a huge form online. Had to guess some of the answers. They seemed to expect me to know every detail of my medical history. 10 years ago I was on meds for low bone density. "Do you have osteoporosis?" I don't know. Probably not. But maybe. I had to click Yes and then I could write "not sure" in the notes box that comes up if you select Yes. You have to complete about 30 questions.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

I'm all in favor of saving the nhs and myself time and money ,my issue is a once yearly check should be my opinion like it used to be a kind of full mot done by the doctors.

It's all changing so fast and we definitely don't get asked our options or wishes and the service is getting worse not better as for prep for this ...nhs is it for me I like most can't afford private medical treatments.
Fill er up jacko...
moominmama

Post by moominmama »

sorry to say, I am afraid that this is the shape of things to come.....

I can see the GP model moving to a similar model to dentistry, very basic limited NHS availability which is supplemented by private practice for those who can afford it.

Local GP surgery is short staffed, very limited availability for face to face, rarely see the same person twice, they are not active in following up on test results and the like. I have to remember to book blood tests and submit readings myself, so now it all goes into my diary to record / action.

I have found my local chemist to be the best source of information and advice open to me, local and family run. I make a point of buying and supporting them as much as I can. I don't know what we would do if they retired or sold up.
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Had to ring doctors surgery
Via text mr GG got his early app for flu vax make a app bu clicking this link
Rang the cancer ward ..can he have this is it a live vaccine he can't have live vaccines
Them ..ring your gp surgery and ask we dont actually know

Call to surgery
This is your digital assistant press number whatever on keyboard so I can direct you
No number for that so waited
Digital assistant ..repeated it .
Waited hoping and crossing fingers please let me get a human please ! Nope on comes digital assistant again
OK in a few words explain what you need
Explained
Digital assistant .. im sorry shorter sentences are better for me ..explain again in less words
Through gritted teeth I explained is the flu vaccine a live vaccine
Same reply but with orders
Say for example I need a appointment..I want to cancel a appointment
Please try again

The words that would have come out would also have me arrested for slagging off the doctors AI
Walked down to chemist which is a fair way but nice day
Note on door closed due to no pharmacist available

Ahhhh ...stuff it ....
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

I would like it to move to what happens in New Zealand.

You pay a small amount to see a GP but everything is free after that. It stopped a lot of folk time wasting and a lot of ailments were treated at the chemist.

It freed up appointments and you never had to wait to see a doctor but if you needed something done, it was done for free (my wife needed a small operation which was free).

My GP has been operating on an emergency only basis for a year. Half of the appointments are taken up by stuff that could be sorted at a pharmacy and getting paracetamol really should be done by yourself. I actually asked my GP to remove paracetamol from a prescription he was giving me, it’s cheap and I can afford it.

There’s also wastage in the NHS, I work in an alcohol rehabilitation unit taking patients from the local hospitals, often they arrive with missing medication or paperwork. The hospital pays for a taxi to courier the missing stuff to us which will cost a fortune, it’s normally at the Crackerjack time of Friday at five to five so it’s difficult at our end to actually do anything.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

GeeGee wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:24 am Had to ring doctors surgery
Via text mr GG got his early app for flu vax make a app bu clicking this link
Rang the cancer ward ..can he have this is it a live vaccine he can't have live vaccines
Them ..ring your gp surgery and ask we dont actually know

The words that would have come out would also have me arrested for slagging off the doctors AI
Walked down to chemist which is a fair way but nice day
Note on door closed due to no pharmacist available

Ahhhh ...stuff it ....
Oh GeeGee! What a complete mess they've made of it for you. No joined up thinking at all :( the system has really broken down if people your OH are left in this situation :(

And in relation to prepping ... this *is* your prepping, with the flu vax. Absolutely appalling. I hope you can talk to a human with the relevant knowledge some time today.
Ara

Post by Ara »

After 6 weeks, I'm still waiting for an "urgent" cardiology appointment...........