N.H.S. views and experiences

Medical and Healthcare
Nurseandy

Re: N.H.S. views and experiences

Post by Nurseandy »

Ara wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:36 pm After 6 weeks, I'm still waiting for an "urgent" cardiology appointment...........
I'm not one for telling people what to do but as an "insider" I do know that the squeaky wheel gets the oil, I'd suggest phoning them up on a weekly basis and upping the frequency if no joy in being seen. Also, if you know the name of your cardiologist ask for their secretary instead of just a generic person in the department. If you don't have a cardiologist then try to find out the name of any cardiologist who works there and ask for their secretary. It doesnt matter that the random cardiologist doesnt know you, It's just trying to get you on the radar and increasing your profile.
Ara

Post by Ara »

Thanks, Andy. This will be my first appointment so I have no idea who I will see but I might just try and ask (politely, of course) what their waiting list is like at the moment. I also know there's no point grumbling if they have 100 "urgent" cases awaiting appointments and only 2 spaces in every session for new patients.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Mr GB has frequent flier NHS status. I strongly ecommend a notebook and writing down any questions beforehand and the answers too.
In a time pressured appointment with a busy doc and stressed self it is otherwise far to easy to forget a question or details of the answer.
The pharmacist is your best bet for any medication questions. They may also know what type of vaccine is in use this year in the area too for live/inert queries.
moominmama

Post by moominmama »

Just had a flyer through the door advertising private GP practice locally - as far as I can tell it is completely private GP practice. Before I have only ever encountered NHS GP who do some private work on the side. Really do fear this is shape of things to come.
Attachments
IMG_20231004_075144061_MFNR.jpg
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

moominmama wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:58 am Just had a flyer through the door advertising private GP practice locally - as far as I can tell it is completely private GP practice. Before I have only ever encountered NHS GP who do some private work on the side. Really do fear this is shape of things to come.
Oh my word. I've heard about creeping privatisation for a long time, but that's really full-on. So sorry to see this happening.
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:24 am
moominmama wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:58 am Just had a flyer through the door advertising private GP practice locally - as far as I can tell it is completely private GP practice. Before I have only ever encountered NHS GP who do some private work on the side. Really do fear this is shape of things to come.
Oh my word. I've heard about creeping privatisation for a long time, but that's really full-on. So sorry to see this happening.
Me too ..I've had one today from what I thought was the local botox shop ..they're doing blood tests scans and other samples said theyre fully regulated with practitioners and registered nurses and introduced a nurse who has 25 year plus experience in the NHS obv left to do the private practise
My doctor sent me to a private physio I had 6 sessions paid for on the nhs but as I was in the waiting room I noticed prices £50 for 30 minutes..I was the full hour with physio and deep massage machine
We are / were lucky to have the NHS but the changes are happening fast
moominmama

Post by moominmama »

Have had an ongoing alert from GP to say they are short staffed, and not to bother to try to call them and do not even think of trying to visit to ask for an appointment, but you can still go through the e.consult process - and someone at some point will get back to you......

I always plan / allow for private dental care in my finance planning, now I am going to be plan for private medical for the family as well, as this is definitely the way things are going. But how much to plan to set aside for this?

I am 50, so easily remember the time when private medical was something only really wealthy people did and it was very much the exception.

(As an aside the local schools are in a similar situation, many of the parents are paying for private tuition, and it is not cheap. I do a lot of planning and work at home to support dear child education so do not pay for private tuition. It really feels like the tax we pay is misleading as we have to pay so much more privately for basic / essential services that tax used to pay for.)
Ara

Post by Ara »

Went for an outpatient appointment yesterday - I've been waiting a year for it! Consultant said: "Well, we've got all your cardiology notes here but nothing about today's problem." How come only half of the notes had migrated 150 miles across the country? He then asked if I'd tried a particular treatment and was surprised when I said no. Now I'm just waiting for the local GP to prescribe it for me (having told me a year ago that he couldn't). Will it happen before Christmas? Would anyone like to open a book on it?
On another note, apparently, we're not all going to be able to continue having NHS dentistry as at present according to the BBC. When we moved here we struggled to find even a private dentist who was taking new patients so we're already out of the NHS as are many other people. Keep up, BBC.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Ara wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:44 pm
On another note, apparently, we're not all going to be able to continue having NHS dentistry as at present according to the BBC. When we moved here we struggled to find even a private dentist who was taking new patients so we're already out of the NHS as are many other people. Keep up, BBC.
Two year waiting list for the NHS dental at mine, I heard them telling someone.

And yes, GPs are gradually going that way. They are actually private businesses already.

On the positive, had a CT scan recently. I turned up 25 minutes early and was seen in 5 minutes. Took less than 5 minutes. Was out the door 15 minutes before my appointment. Bizarrely, it was 7 pm on a Sunday. Got the result about a week or so later. Was good.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

When I moved to this town 13 years ago, I hunted out an NHS dentist, they were the only ones here. Didn't go at all during the pandemic, didn't need to and didn't want to bother with checkups when I have so few dental needs. But this year, my teeth have literally started falling apart (big fillings from when I was a child, it was the policy then, and the tooth material around the filling is gradually collapsing.

It's not an NHS dentist any more! I have to pay, or I simply don't get seen. Simple as.

ETA - forgot to add, another tooth fell apart a couple of weeks ago :(