Puncture..

Logistics and Transport
Yorkshire Andy

Puncture..

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Left the local theatre tonight got half a mile from home wife's car beeps and puts the tyre pressure light on ... Checked her pressure once home (car was driving fine)

Low on the back left got the boss to drive slowly forward blooming screw in the tread...

Temporary plug kit from my car boot and temporary plug applied for tonight... (Don't want the tyre going flat flat damaging the side wall )

Messaged local tyre man usually he's next day but he is swamped so... He can't get to me till Tuesday he's having some issues which I'm aware of so I'm not pushing and I'd rather pay him...

Boss lady commutes on the motorway and I'd not be happy running at those speeds on a temporary plug ...

Fortunately. The other month on facestalk Market place someone was selling 4 steel rims with legal tyres to suit her car for £50 he'd upgraded to alloys .... I took his hand off and yesterday moved them in my shed to the outside storage bunker as I was fed up falling over them ....so tomorrow I'll check pressure of the new old tyres and bang one on to keep her mobile then they flat tyre can be left in an accessible location convenient for the tyre man on Tuesday he can work his magic even if no one is home and I'll drop him the cash at his house on my way home if needs be and I'll put it back on her car Tuesday night saving him and me time hence I get a good rate :mrgreen: I'm flexible if he's this side of town he can come here.. my parents live the other side of town. And if he's out towards my work he can do it there ... His time and diesel is expensive to him and his family so I try to help if I can to make it easy for him
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Puncture..

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

For the record

This is the kit..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174386462707 ... R_TV35K8Yg

I've added a cheap snap off craft knife to the kit for trimming the "thread"

I have a 12v pump which cuts out at a set pressure.

Rough outline of how it is done

Locate and mark the hole .. move car so the picture is accessible

Prep the kit

Attach pump and set to tyre pressure and leave it running it'll top up if the pressure drops....

Fit a string to the insert tool half each side of the fork and slather with rubber glue ...

Coat tye rasp with glue too this helps lubricate the rasp when you insert it...

Use pliers to remove the foreign object and as you extract it use force to push the reamer into the hole and rack it back and forth in the hole a good few times till little resistance is felt add a bit more glue to the rasp do it a couple more times and as you pull it out....

Grab and push the plug in firmly but carefully till there's about 2" of plug inserted into the tyre .

Twist the tool 90° then yank out firmly in one pull

Then allow the pump to top up and trim the excess string off with a sharp knife...

These are intended to get you home / to a garage and should be replaced with a proper mushroom plug by a garage as soon as possible and speed to be kept below 50mph
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Peter

Post by Peter »

Many, and I mean many, years ago I used a similar kit to repair a Morris 1000 tyre, it lasted until the tyre wore out.
Omega

Post by Omega »

I use tyre sealant on my family car and my scooter - the brand changed its name, but used to be marketed as the best of its kind. It has one disbenefit though - I once got a huge nail in the rear tyre of my then bike. If I did not have the sealant I might end up in an accident. However, I did not even notice it until the nail made quite a large hole and pressure went down noticeably. This is when I used Dynaplug as it was marketed the only permanent tyre repair kit on the market. I had to buy additional thicker tubes to feed the hole and it worked until I wore the tyre out
I now have Dynaplug in all vehicles along with pump just in case, even in my scooter. And all tyres have a sealant - I bought too much of it because it was on sale, but it works