Future home heating

Homes and Retreats
Frnc

Re: Future home heating

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:49 pm So does anyone here use heating ( at this moment) that is non gas on a regular basis?
If my lodgers are both out I use an electric radiator. It's good, but it would be expensive to heat the whole house like that. My electricitry was Green Network Energy. They got taken over by EDF, which is owned by the French government. They also own or electricity grid. I think they own all the nuclear power. They said my electricity is all nuclear.

I got a new boiler in the hope that it would be more efficient than the old one. We have used a lot less gas since I got it, comparing each month to last year. In Feb we only used 50% of last year. Jan was 30% less. Dec 9% less. Current use is 40-50p a day for showers and washing up for three people.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I asked the question,as it will be a big deal when electricity takes over and there’s no gas in the future. Electricity is currently dearer than gas,and I have no doubt that in the future it will remain that way! Current precise price details are irrelevant- electricity ain’t cheap. And that’s now!

Right now,gas is the number one fuel . Back in the day ,before North Sea gas ,central heating was not common. Yes, there were electric heaters etc. but the majority was coal fires! Then gas came in and central heating became common- but that’s only about 50 years- no more!

Another issue is how houses have been designed. Back in the old days most houses had rooms with doors to keep heat in. Now many are open plan with almost Mediterranean tiled flooring,and people walk around dressed as though they are by the swimming pools- in January with the central heating on full bore!

Could you adapt quickly to electric heating!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:02 pm I asked the question,as it will be a big deal when electricity takes over and there’s no gas in the future. Electricity is currently dearer than gas,and I have no doubt that in the future it will remain that way! Current precise price details are irrelevant- electricity ain’t cheap. And that’s now!

Right now,gas is the number one fuel . Back in the day ,before North Sea gas ,central heating was not common. Yes, there were electric heaters etc. but the majority was coal fires! Then gas came in and central heating became common- but that’s only about 50 years- no more!

Another issue is how houses have been designed. Back in the old days most houses had rooms with doors to keep heat in. Now many are open plan with almost Mediterranean tiled flooring,and people walk around dressed as though they are by the swimming pools- in January with the central heating on full bore!

Could you adapt quickly to electric heating!
Could adapt but it'd come at a price in terms of increase in electrical bill and initial outlay but it's do able a new sub main cu with a relay/ contactor triggered by a timer and a radial circuit to each heater with a inbuilt thermostat..

Some of the new storage heaters look efficient especially if we got a :shock: smart :shock: meter and an economy 7 tariff
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:02 pm Could you adapt quickly to electric heating!
With the Electricity unit price over four times the Gas unit price. Nope. Even if some sort of Electric Boiler could be designed, I could not afford to run it.
Last winter was the season of the great 'turn down'. We transitioned from the sitting in skimpies back to sitting in fleecy house coat.
Just the last few days, we've been consciously and noticeably cold while the house has been at 20C with the heating off. In protest, we've had a few treat days heating the house to 21C. Hopefully the cost of heating from 20 to 21 won't cost too much, unlike heating from 15 to 21.
What we cannot and will never afford is the cost of swapping out the gas CH to heatpump CH
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

Thanks for your answer Yorkshire Andy. It will be dear. In fact it will make right now look cheap. Of course the original link says that NEW gas boilers will be stopped. So in a dozen years if the boiler goes wrong in anyone’s house then technically ( at this point) you have to find an alternative. If the house belongs to you then it’s you that has to deal and pay for it. And big time!

Sadly I won’t be here to see this - boy o boy I wish I was! My wife made old style blackout curtains for Winter this Spring - just as we had as kids in the 60’s . We don’t need a smart meter either ( are they plugged in and using leccy :lol: ) as we turn stuff off,even tv and microwave. Every little helps.

So a dozen years from now ,if the law has changed and you can’t get a new boiler ,will you cope? Will you adapt gradually ahead of any breakdowns? Will you Prep?

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:48 pm
jansman wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:02 pm Could you adapt quickly to electric heating!
With the Electricity unit price over four times the Gas unit price. Nope. Even if some sort of Electric Boiler could be designed, I could not afford to run it.
Last winter was the season of the great 'turn down'. We transitioned from the sitting in skimpies back to sitting in fleecy house coat.
Just the last few days, we've been consciously and noticeably cold while the house has been at 20C with the heating off. In protest, we've had a few treat days heating the house to 21C. Hopefully the cost of heating from 20 to 21 won't cost too much, unlike heating from 15 to 21.
What we cannot and will never afford is the cost of swapping out the gas CH to heatpump CH
So what will you do in 2035 if your boiler packs up? I am not being negative,this is a prepping question. If electricity is the only heating energy,everyone will have to deal with it. And that is if there is enough available!

As I said originally,I guess solid fuel will be outlawed too,although I suspect in a bad Winter folks will break the rules! So it’ll be leccy or nothing.

What about alternatives?

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:12 pm

What about alternatives?

Bio ethanol was expensive enough before COVID during COVID the scramble to make hand sanitizer the price went ballistic.. it's not as widely available as it was either now...

Bottled gas heater? The cost of a bottle of butane has gone mad . £53 for 15kg :shock: and a radiant heater

Legally / insurance reasons you can't use free standing calor heaters run on propane in a dwelling which is a shame as a autogas refillable bottle would work out a fair price .... After an initial outlay...

diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

They've got us all sew up neatly haven't they? I dono how long I'll be around either Jansman but I don't think it will bother me - cos right now it looks like we're all going to be colder and poorer and living in the dark :evil:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:00 pm They've got us all sew up neatly haven't they? I dono how long I'll be around either Jansman but I don't think it will bother me - cos right now it looks like we're all going to be colder and poorer and living in the dark :evil:
Stock up on carrots lil :twisted:

Half of me is really really tempted to save up for a new monster power bank .. current biggest user of power is the washing machine (5 in the household )and the dishwasher

If I could charge it over a couple of days on solar then get a couple of loads out of it the savings would slowly add up :lol:

jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:12 pm So what will you do in 2035 if your boiler packs up? I am not being negative,this is a prepping question.
I'm hopeful that repairs and replacements will be possible. Plus we pay to have it serviced every year.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong