Homes and Retreats
Frnc

Re: Future home heating

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:45 am
Frnc wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:18 am
jansman wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:53 am

So is everyone looking forward now to leccy only? :lol:
Last summer, electricity generated by gas was costing 5 x more than electricity generated by offshore wind. But because of our pricing structure, we paid the same rate. The cost of electricity was driven up by the cost of gas, even if you were on a 100% renewable or nuclear electricity contract. It needs to be de-coupled.

The cost of heating a house is still cheaper using gas. However the balance last year would have shifted if electricity was decoupled. If it was decoupled, and gas price went up again, electric heating might be cheaper.

Part of the solution is:

1. A lot more renewable energy is in the pipeline, especially huge amounts of offshore wind. We won't need as much, if any, gas for electricity generation, and renewables electricity should get cheaper relative to electricity generated by gas (in fact it already is).
2. De-coupling.
3. INSULATION. This is not really feasible for individuals who have old houses, as the wallls need doing. They need help. It needs expert knowledge and logistics. Needs action on a national or at least local council scale, like the old council refurb grants. They did a street at a time.
4. Heat pumps need to be affordable. Again, this needs action on a national scale. People who can't use heat pumps could use electric radiators like the one I have. It costs me about 20p for 5 hours, heating my room to 19.4° in winter. At current SV rates it would be about 30p I think. If prices were de-coupled it would be cheaper. Although maybe not for me personally as EDF is all nuclear. I did not choose them, my contract was with Green Network Energy.
The thread is about the future, not right now. The price now is the price now.

The plan, as originally stated , is to move to electric. Nothing else.

Thoughts everyone please. :D
Well, I think for the avearge person, there are two routes.

1. If you are young enough and can afford it, go for full insulation and a heat pump.

2. For people like me - old, little money, no cavity wall, rooms all occupied, some floors solid.

I think my electric radiator (Dimplex OFRB7N 700w) is a great way to go. It cost peanuts, is quite cheap to run (20p for 5 hours at my price, maybe 30p at current SV rates). This is ok for one room. I only have it set to about 40%. It keeps my room at about 19.4°. I can't go much colder due to having Reynauds. It's way better than my old fan heater, and I suspect, better than fan heaters generally. However I've only used it in a house that is normally heated by gas. Obviously it would have to work harder if I wasn't using gas c/h at other times. If I didn't have lodgers though, I would be heating only my room, using this, and maybe gas on the very coldest days, to take the edge off the whole house.

I already mentioned how I keep my window warm. The next step is secondary glazing using acrylic sheet and magnetic tape. This means it can be removed in summer.

Eventually I might have a new window fitted in upstairs lodger's room, which is not very warm. Maybe the new roof will help.

Prep room is also cold. I should draught proof the door to keep the heat OUT, ie keep it in the rest of the house. I keep it shut when not being used.

I could do other smallish things, eg put a heavy curtain in front of the front door.

I am already draught proofed. However there may be one or two small things I've not noticed, where little draughts get in, eg where an aerial comes in, or under a skirting. You need to get on your knees on a cold day and go round trying to find them. You can feel the cold air on your hand if there's a draught. I noticed one in my room last winter when plugging something in on a cold day, I think it was where the cables come through the wall, there are 2 holes. I need to fix that, problem is my wardrobe is in the way.

One tool I have is a digital thermomter that reads the temp of walls via infra-red from a distance. Also I have a decent quality damp meter now. I can look for cold parts of the house and try to do something.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:16 am On the loss of gas and reliance shifting to electric..

Have a read of this

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/181117 ... y-osgodby/
Good point about not using things at peak times. I only use my electric radiator when lodgers are out during the day. Washing machine isn't usually used at peak times. Cooking, not much I can do. I have to make my tea by 5.45 so lodger 1 can do his, then lodger 2 after him. But the mini oven cuts the time and amount of power used. I still use the main oven for pizzas, but I could use the mini. I use the mini for things like Quorn pies or battered fish. It uses less time, less power, and there's no warm up time. Our electricity use over the last 10 months has been lower than the previous year. Gas use is a lot lower. My direct debit went from £118, which was overpaying, to £67 for gas and electricity.
Last edited by Frnc on Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I still say the best way to go is to have a wee cottage hidden way back in the hills or off the road. In the middle of trees. Loads of them up here. They chop and burn wood. They barter meat, machinery & odd jobs with the farmer. They grow their own veg. Nobody to know what you're doing. That's the ideal life.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

No gas here, we use oil (frugally) and log burners which are fuelled from a combination of free and bought wood. Our son asked why we would pay for wood and not just top up the oil tank? Our reasoning is that we have the oil boiler on for 3 hours a day max and the log burners on for most of the evening when it is cold and throw an extra log or two on when we go to bed, the chimney breasts stay warm for ages and we have residual heat from the log burners whereas the radiators go cold much quicker plus we have kettles to heat water too. We could have back boilers but the work involved not to mention the mess really puts me off. We could not afford to keep the oil boiler on several hours each evening. Plus 10 years ago we were quoted £2000 to have gas connected to the house and that was with us digging the trenches for the pipes (the gas stops at the top of the drive) so we just did not bother. As diamond lil says the best way to go is to have a wee cottage in the middle of trees. Still working towards this .....
Growing old disgracefully!
jansman

Post by jansman »

Medusa wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:36 pm No gas here, we use oil (frugally) and log burners which are fuelled from a combination of free and bought wood. Our son asked why we would pay for wood and not just top up the oil tank? Our reasoning is that we have the oil boiler on for 3 hours a day max and the log burners on for most of the evening when it is cold and throw an extra log or two on when we go to bed, the chimney breasts stay warm for ages and we have residual heat from the log burners whereas the radiators go cold much quicker plus we have kettles to heat water too. We could have back boilers but the work involved not to mention the mess really puts me off. We could not afford to keep the oil boiler on several hours each evening. Plus 10 years ago we were quoted £2000 to have gas connected to the house and that was with us digging the trenches for the pipes (the gas stops at the top of the drive) so we just did not bother. As diamond lil says the best way to go is to have a wee cottage in the middle of trees. Still working towards this .....
Your situation is similar to ours ,in that we ‘save’ ( not oil) but electricity. Our larger living room was chilly last night ,so as I chuck letters etc. in the stove for security reasons,I lit them and put just a couple of logs on to warm up the room and the cast iron radiated well.It was sufficient to keep us warm for the hour and half of the film we watched.It’s also cleared all the paperwork we put in too! We could have flicked an electric panel on,but the wood costs zero.
It takes a bit of work,but that’s always been my life anyway. That will be what upsets people in the future. No ‘convenience’. Two generations or so have gotten used to GCH and even internet control of it too! In the years to come,solid fuel may well be banned ( although out in the sticks I cannot see that happening :lol:) but Winter will mean ‘getting ready’. Suitable clothing,( folks walk round houses in January as if they are in the Mediterranean! )curtains ,draught exclusion and the like. As it was when I was a kid.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

On the subject of internet control British gas is killing lots of hive products off..

https://www.t3.com/news/british-gas-sta ... es-forever
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:03 am On the subject of internet control British gas is killing lots of hive products off..

Crikey im a dinosaur i still do things manually
Friend of mine is obsessed with everything digital ( 20 yr younger than me )
All the power cuts we've had recently he again ended up in travelodge with his dog that he had to pay a lot extra for as he couldn't do anything even have a shower
I'll stay a relic for now .
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:03 am On the subject of internet control British gas is killing lots of hive products off..

Our daughter had Hive in the first house. It was useless and was taken out! Her - then- husband ,did what engineers like him do. He went ‘manual’ and kept it simple! :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

GeeGee wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:57 am

Crikey im a dinosaur i still do things manually
Friend of mine is obsessed with everything digital ( 20 yr younger than me )
All the power cuts we've had recently he again ended up in travelodge with his dog that he had to pay a lot extra for as he couldn't do anything even have a shower
I'll stay a relic for now .
We do to GeeGee. We installed some lovely modern electrical heating panels a year before they went ( law - wise) digital and many,internet. They still look posh ,so they will do. Just cos your kettle can be turned on via interweb,two minutes before you get home doesn’t mean you put water in it! :lol: :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Now apply that to a cashless society :shock:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.