Anyone hunting or fishing these days?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Anyone hunting or fishing these days?

Post by jansman »

I’ve always been a hunting and fishing man. Fishing,both fresh and sea. Hunting,shooting,ferreting and dogs. In fact back in the 80’s I had a good pack of terriers and lurchers. We hunted everything. Foxes ,deer,hares ,rabbits - the lot. A big part of my life. The kids got used to game being for dinner! :D
I don’t shoot now ( my wife has the gun licence/ collection) as my illness won’t let me. Still coarse fishing though. It was always a prepping’side’ as well as sport ,but now it’s sport.Fully licensed ,so no problems with local clubs or Environment Agency. Don’t need that sh*t! Could still catch to eat if needed though. On the first day of the new season last week,I took a hundred fish. Would be enough to knock out a curry! :lol:

Do any other Preppers hunt or fish regularly?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Nurseandy

Re: Anyone hunting or fishing these days?

Post by Nurseandy »

Yup, fly fishing for trout & salmon on the Don in aberdeenshire. Fly fishing up here is the common man's fishing, not like the exclusive chalk streams in southern England.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Nurseandy wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:39 pm Yup, fly fishing for trout & salmon on the Don in aberdeenshire. Fly fishing up here is the common man's fishing, not like the exclusive chalk streams in southern England.
Fantastic! Our trouting has to be on a reservoir here. Yours is better.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

There's a lot of stocked trout fisheries here too but that's not really for me. I like the roaming about and pottering on river banks.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Nurseandy wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:51 pm There's a lot of stocked trout fisheries here too but that's not really for me. I like the roaming about and pottering on river banks.
A lot of the lads here like the commercial carp fisheries,and once in a while it’s fun. However,I much prefer the ‘wildness’ of the rivers. Takes more skill in my opinion.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

There's some river fishing here in Sussex, but most angling societies have stocked lakes, with fishing positions set up, and the fish bought from hatcheries. I found the pic I took back in 2014, but I can't resize it properly to upload it :(

But as you may remember, I'm a vegetarian! I'd change if I had to, for shtf for example, if local people were breeding and despatching their local stock, but not till then.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Just got back from a nice ,local river session.Some nice perch and Rudd today. Calm,gentle and pleasant weather too. All caught nicely on bait that cost next to nothing. A little bread and worms from the compost bin. :D

If we were in a situation of food shortages,then the perch would have been quite edible.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Omega

Post by Omega »

Going out for deer stalking today - Wiltshire is a great hunting ground for deer
However, I would like to find a place where I could get some birds and small animals like rabbits or even squirrels - whole deer is a cool game, my hunts usually finish after a single shot, I want to shoot more, and small game offers such fun. Also want to pick up an air gun for such purpose, think it is more practical
Probably should pick up fishing trout, but, since I moved from Tyne and Wear to Wiltshire, I haven’t done it much. I work now near Gloucestershire and I believe recently saw a wild trout in the river, but don’t think I can catch it as it is in private lands - I guess I could catch it using a normal hook and a line, no rod, just put a an insect like a grasshopper on the hook and it would bite
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Omega, that's a huge skill, wow. Let us know how this hunt goes.
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

I do hunt rabbits on a semi regular basis.
Loads of them here, and many crofters are happy to give permission to shoot on their land.
I hope to hunt geese as well, but will need to get a shotgun or larger calibre rifle added to my fac for that.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."