Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Vitamin c

Spit warning ⚠️

Post by Vitamin c »

Fill er up jacko...
jansman

Re: Spit warning ⚠️

Post by jansman »

Don’t worry gardeners. It’s been around for…ever. Doesn’t hurt you,and doesn’t do that much to :D plants either. My Grandad called it ‘bee spit’.

I’d be more concerned by a druggie thug spitting at me! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Vitamin c wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:42 am https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/ ... g-27048707

Plant spit warning ⚠️
BULLSPIT WARNING :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Stop! No! DON'T DO IT :!: :!: :!: :!:

DO NOT REPORT CUCKOO SPIT :!:

Oh dearest Vitamin_c. I'm sorry, but you've fallen for clickbait...... Don't take this personally.

This is just a syndicated filler article. It appeared in June 2022 as well. It got copied to just about every local rag of a newspaper and every news agregator picked up on it, because it drew traffic. It might as well have been an urban myth. It's along the lines of collect green bottle tops for charity (Don't, by the way)

It urges "However, experts have issued a warning over a potentially “harmful” froth soon to be appearing on plants, urging people to report sightings of it."

What experts? Report what? Report to whom? The police? The coastguard? The UN? International Rescue?
The Coventry Telegraph links to a web page for the 'Spittlebug survey'. A web page that does not exist. It existed from 2020 to 2022, where, in June, it exploded with traffic and was subsequently taken off line.
http://web.archive.org/web/202300000000 ... eeding-ins

This version of the nonsense says to report it to "The Spittlebug survey". Guess what. They don't tell you any address for 'The Spittlebug survey' But this avid researcher found them for you...
https://www.rhs.org.uk/science/help-our-research/spittlebug-survey wrote:The spittlebug survey ran from 2019 to 2020 and is no longer regularly monitored
So. We have a massively syndicated 2023 article WARNING us to respond to a survey that last ran in 2022 :!: :!: :!: :!:

DON'T PANIC. There is no urgent need to 'report Cuckoo spit!'. I bet Defra, The police, International Rescue et al are really p155ed off at all those reports.

Cuckoo spit is as common and harmless as grass. There are suspected links to the spread of Xylella WHICH IS NOT EVEN IN THE UK YET!

https://www.rhs.org.uk/biodiversity/cuc ... pittlebugs
that article wrote:According to the BRIGIT website, If you suspect that a plant may be infected with Xylella fastidiosa don’t attempt to control the disease yourself. Collect all available details and report your suspicions to the relevant plant health authority (Defra)
OK...... Note.....
The web page about Xylella has been there , not updated since SEPTEMBER 2020.

Defra might want you to notify them if you believe you have a case of Xylella. They sure as hell don't want to hear about every case of cuckoo spit from the harmless froghopper. No. Really. They don't :!:

Probably EVERY garden and allotment and hedgerow in the land will have visible cuckoo spit. I know mine has gallons of the stuff. It's harmless :!:
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

:oops: dear oh dear...

Kinda think you enjoyed that J :lol:
Fill er up jacko...
Arzosah

Re: Spit warning

Post by Arzosah »

But Jenny's got a really good point about a bit of research and consideration about whether a link is put up on here. And Winterprep has just started a thread "to please have a brief explanation of the link and it’s relation to prepping" which sounds to me a very good idea.
jansman

Re: Spit warning

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:57 pm But Jenny's got a really good point about a bit of research and consideration about whether a link is put up on here. And Winterprep has just started a thread "to please have a brief explanation of the link and it’s relation to prepping" which sounds to me a very good idea.
And when Arzosah says that,then good enough.

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Vitamin c wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:20 pm :oops: dear oh dear...

If you are trying to rattle me,then keep going. Trust me ,I will ban you if you do. Mind you,it’ll be a race between me and the rest of the Mod team!

Robert Frost.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:39 pm

If you are trying to rattle me,then keep going. Trust me ,I will ban you if you do. Mind you,it’ll be a race between me and the rest of the Mod team!
Friends. FRIENDS!
I was being a bit haughty* in tearing down Vitamin_C's post. I don't know which of us she referred to as enjoying it. It was, I suppose a bit blunt of me, but yes I enjoyed it. I enjoy debunking BS and Vitamin_C was the unlucky soul on the receiving end, this time.
But he/she ( sorry, dunno which) took it in good stead and came back with a smiley. I do hope the mod team can leave it at that, as I didn't want to get anyone in real trouble.
We do see some spurious posts that don't relate at all to prepping and I see there's the likelihood that such posts will get removed.

I ask, please, for moderation in moderation.

*That was the word I intended.

JJ
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:54 pm
jansman wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:39 pm

Friends. FRIENDS!
I was being a bit haughty* in tearing down Vitamin_C's post. I don't know which of us she referred to as enjoying it. It was, I suppose a bit blunt of me, but yes I enjoyed it. I enjoy debunking BS and Vitamin_C was the unlucky soul on the receiving end, this time.
But he/she ( sorry, dunno which) took it in good stead and came back with a smiley. I do hope the mod team can leave it at that, as I didn't want to get anyone in real trouble.
We do see some spurious posts that don't relate at all to prepping and I see there's the likelihood that such posts will get removed.

I ask, please, for moderation in moderation.

*That was the word I intended.

JJ
:lol: Don’t worry about your post. It was rather apt.

The moderator team have a section you cannot see, and trust me,we generally have our eyes on trouble makers.I will say no more.

Let’s just keep prepping and take no notice of potential issues shall we? :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

J ... for jenny .
Fill er up jacko...