EV’s the best post shtf vehicle?

Logistics and Transport
Yorkshire Andy

Re: EV’s the best post shtf vehicle?

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I always take the off side more room you get some people closing the gap at the curb for example..

Some motorists seem to get upset that your moving faster than them in £40k+ of car and get really techy...

Had a BMW (says it all) get upset we passed the line to the asl as we set off he close passed me and my mate then cut in blocking us from passing... And jumps out

Now don't know what he expected to happen but me and my mate are not small stick size lads by any stretch and both have manual jobs and back then we were fit :lol: 40 miles in 2hr 15 was my record ... when he realises that our bikes are now laid on the grass and we are advancing 4 ft apart rapidly closing the gap using far more obscene language and threats in contractor building site mode than he had attempted to bluster he got back in his car very very quickly ... Not that we then followed him about a mile to the supermarket the traffic lights were highly in our favour that night :mrgreen: then just sat on the path grinning at him as he left his car he got half way across the car park before realising that we were still grinning looking towards his car ... We did not damage his car it's not in either of our nature but he bottled it and drove out without getting his shopping .. can't stand bullies or those that bully or attempt to intimidate others
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:29 pm I always take the off side more room you get some people closing the gap at the curb for example..
I'll give it some consideration, try it out sometime, depending on how much space there is on the nearside, how much time I think I have.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Another thing I found was a strange high Vis vest seemed to get more room from drivers the boring standard Saturn yellow didn't seem to get as much space..

https://gsworkwear.com/products/portwes ... BkQAvD_BwE

Suppose it's eye-catching as it's different
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

grenfell wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:50 pm
jansman wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:19 pm
itsybitsy wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:35 am

:roll:

Okay, whatever. 'Mr Mechanic' is a mate who I've known for 15 years and I actually trust him implicitly. I realise that trust is an alien concept to many, particularly on this forum, but there are still some decent folk out there and he's one of them.
My wife is the same with our mechanic of a similar time frame.
Comment was mean to be tongue in cheek even if there is an element of truth in it but it seems to have struck a nerve. Still people being resistant to change is common enough , I do it myself...
:roll:
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Went to Download on Thursday. Coach was 2 hours late because the day before it took them 7 hours to drive 5 miles. Drivers have to have a 9 hour break by law.

It made me think about some shtf scenarios. In fact things could be even worse if vehicles break down.

BBC says "National Highways said it would be trying to find out what went wrong."
Well, our coach got close to Download pretty quick, but there was temporary traffic lights on the road. I don't know if there was road works, or if it was a queueing system for getting in. I got off the coach and walked.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-65875931
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:39 am Went to Download on Thursday. Coach was 2 hours late because the day before it took them 7 hours to drive 5 miles. Drivers have to have a 9 hour break by law.

It made me think about some shtf scenarios. In fact things could be even worse if vehicles break down.

BBC says "National Highways said it would be trying to find out what went wrong."
Well, our coach got close to Download pretty quick, but there was temporary traffic lights on the road. I don't know if there was road works, or if it was a queueing system for getting in. I got off the coach and walked.

We live right near that festival,and everyone local stays home!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:42 am
Frnc wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:39 am Went to Download on Thursday. Coach was 2 hours late because the day before it took them 7 hours to drive 5 miles. Drivers have to have a 9 hour break by law.

We live right near that festival,and everyone local stays home!
I didn't know before, but Google Maps shows bad traffic conditions in amber and red. All routes to Download had a few km of amber and a bit of red. It was nothing like the day before though. I was glad we got on last, as our chairs were in the luggage compartment, and we got off while the coach was technically driving, but stationary. It was a test for my back (22 hour day), but it was ok. My left knee went though, with all the walking. Also a concern from the toilet view, but fortunately I didn't need to use the sit down ones. The women's actually had no queue. There was a big queue at the men's, and that could mean some are unusable by the time you get there. Of course some people in the third world don't even have that, and in a shtf scenario we might not.