New member from SE

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
jennyjj01

Re: New member from SE

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:44 pm They say your bugout bag should have a few days food and water.

Their list includes "Bottled water and emergency food, enough for three days"

"Water (one gallon per person per day for several days, for drinking and sanitation)"
That's US gallon=3.8Litres. x 3 days
So 11.4kg just in water alone.
Food (at least a several-day supply of non-perishable food)"

A grab bag with 11kg of water?

I think not
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

I rely on myself too. I wouldn’t’bug out’ because of looters either.Living in a tent on land not belonging to you, public or otherwise makes you even more vulnerable than being a coward in your own bricks and mortar. Mind you, around this village, every other house has shooting and fishing occupants, so perhaps I consider my attitude as normal.

Speaking of fishing; I went today and the land our club owns had , basically, poachers. The Bailiff and two younger members were not at all impressed or kind. Let’s just say they had to leave! :lol: So when bugging out, you will fish for food? Good luck, ‘cos most is club run in the UK.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 7:07 pm
Frnc wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:44 pm They say your bugout bag should have a few days food and water.

Their list includes "Bottled water and emergency food, enough for three days"

"Water (one gallon per person per day for several days, for drinking and sanitation)"
That's US gallon=3.8Litres. x 3 days
So 11.4kg just in water alone.
Food (at least a several-day supply of non-perishable food)"

A grab bag with 11kg of water?

I think not
OK if you've got a car maybe. Obviously I don't have that in my BOB. I have 1 lite Platypus of water, two empty 1 lite Platypus bottles, two filters, and two bottles of water that go on my bike. I have an extra 1.2 litre hard bottle of water and another 0.8 litre bike bottle of water. I might be able to fit these in my panniers if I was going on my bike.
jansman

Post by jansman »

The idea of ‘how much’ water to take is dopey. Being rather ill,water is most important,and a serious discussion with doctors. They themselves are water ‘mad’,and all carry ,drink and refill regularly. Basically 2 litres per day is the absolute minimum. If you are doing nothing!
I have been fitting a new kitchen recently for instance. That has been work,and my water intake has been a minimum 5 litres. And I feel good as a result. That’s in between cups of tea too - which are allowable. My doctor told me that the result of drinking will be regular urination. Every 20 minutes is perfectly acceptable.

“Clear,Copious and Frequent “ is what she told me!

That water intake is keeping my blood cells correct,and my liver and kidneys in good form,and therefore my chemotherapy treatment will continue. That is good.

However,being poorly like that does not mean my water intake is a big deal. Intake should be like that for us all! My doctor said that as a society,we do not drink enough water,any of us.

As Preppers,water is THE prep,for sure.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

https://www.haringey.gov.uk/environment ... -your-home
Evacuation

If your house is affected by an emergency, or is located in the surrounding area of an incident, the Emergency Services or council may decide it is necessary to ask you to evacuate your property for your own safety.

This decision is not taken lightly, so it is important that you take this advice seriously.

We understand that evacuating your home may be daunting, so we suggest that you take the following steps:

Try to stay calm and listen to the advice being given by the official telling you about the evacuation
If possible, call a friend or relative to see if you can stay with them until the incident is over. Alternatively, you may want to make arrangements to stay in a local Bed & Breakfast or Hotel. If you do not have anyone suitable to stay with, or alternative accommodation options, you can contact the Council's Emergency Homelessness team for advice.
Take your pets with you using a pet carrier or leash
If time permits, think about important items you might want to take with you. Preparing an emergency 'grab bag' in advance would save you time
If you are not in immediate danger, try to shut all doors and windows and turn off the electricity and gas when leaving

If an emergency occurs with little or no warning, such as a fire, you may need to make your own decision to evacuate if your personal safety is at risk. This kind of evacuation is likely to require quick decision making. We advise you read our section on home emergency plans to prepare for this possibility

In the event of a large scale evacuation, the council may open a Emergency Centre to cater for basic immediate needs.

Emergency Centres

An Emergency Centre may be made available to those evacuated due to an emergency:

It provides a communal space where evacuees can gather on a temporary basis, gain access to refreshments and regular information updates from the scene.
Emergency Centres are staffed by Haringey Council volunteers who are trained to assist people who have been evacuated.
The location of the Emergency Centre is decided at the time of the incident but is usually opened in a school, community centre or similar public building.
If you are taken to an Emergency Centre during an emergency you do not have to stay there. Once you have gathered your thoughts, you may prefer to contact a family member or friend to stay with. All we ask is that you notify a member of staff that you are leaving.
Whilst every effort is made to accommodate pets, some of the Emergency Centre buildings do not allow animals inside. We advise that you make arrangements with a family member or friend to look after your pet until you are able to return home.

Don't forget your pet

Like the many pet owners in the borough, your pet will likely be thought of as a member of the family. For this reason it is important to plan for your pet, as you would for your family in the event of an emergency.

Here are some tips to help with that preparation:

Identify your pet - securely fasten a current identification tag to your pet’s collar. If you can, include the contact of a friend or family member as well as your own in case you are not able to be contacted.
Photograph your pet - Carry a photo of your pet to help identify them in the event you are separated.
Arrange for your pet to stay with a friend/family member if you are evacuated from your home.

Pet supplies

Create a stock of supplies so you are ready for an evacuation. This should include:

Food - enough for 3 days. Store in an airtight, water-proof container
Water - 3 days worth
Medication - also have the name and dosage of the medication written down
Harness or leash
Pet carrier or crate
Important documents (eg vaccination records)
Sanitation goods e.g. pet litter and box, plastic bags and newspaper or paper towels
Contact numbers e.g. vet, cattery/kennel, animal shelter
Familiar items e.g. favourite toy, bedding (this will reduce the stress of your pet)
Pet first aid kit - this should contain items such as a towel/board to act as a stretcher, non-stick bandages, adhesive tape, sterile saline solution for flushing wounds and eyes, gauze, towels or cloth to stem bleeding

If you must evacuate during an emergency, take your pet with you - do not leave them in your home on their own. However, if you are going to a public Emergency Centre, it is important to understand that, depending on the location of the Emergency Centre, animals may not be allowed inside. To prepare for this, please make arrangement in advance for your pet to stay with family or friends in the event of an emergency.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

https://www.haringey.gov.uk/environment ... rgency#bag

It's worth scrolling to the top as well as down. Also look at the links on the left at the top.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

https://www.uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/mem ... ile&u=8736

Last active:Thu May 18, 2023 3:11 pm

We seemed to have lost this new member's attention rather quickly :( Shame. :cry:
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:21 am https://www.uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/mem ... ile&u=8736

We seemed to have lost this new member's attention rather quickly :( Shame. :cry:
We get a lot through like that.

Robert Frost.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:01 am
jennyjj01 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:21 am https://www.uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/mem ... ile&u=8736

It's a pity and it is what it is. Maybe we could have been more welcoming? Oh Hum...
The thread did seem to degenerate a bit into derision of his initial prepping ideas.

jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:54 am
jansman wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:01 am

It's a pity and it is what it is. Maybe we could have been more welcoming? Oh Hum...
The thread did seem to degenerate a bit into derision of his initial prepping ideas.
As far as possible we are welcoming,non political and non religious- although mods seem to have to pitch in about political bias more now than ever - with two members particularly! We are still going though. ;)

Robert Frost.

Me.