DIY dentistry

Medical and Healthcare
pseudonym

Re: Roy dentistry

Post by pseudonym »

Rustyme wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:53 pm Cheers peeps . The topic should read diy dentistry lol . Yes wiggle woggle sounds about right for me , not that loose yet so needs to be played with .
Title changed. I did wonder who Roy was. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Rustyme

Re: DIY dentistry

Post by Rustyme »

Lol , many thanks P ..... my kindle changes words all the time , mainly I spot them , but some get by and make the whole thing totally different or just plain ridiculous . Thanks again , ( I think Roy played for the Rivers !!! ).
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

Abscesses and dental infections can kill you because bacteria around the teeth have an affinity for heart tissue. If it gets into your bloodstream you can have heart failure from the infection regardless of age. The facial nerves on that side can be affected too.You definitely need antibiotics and the abscess to be professionally treated. Please go to an emergency dentist. Please.
Jeffjones297

Post by Jeffjones297 »

Psychiatric hospitals (when we had them) used to have dedicated dental treatment rooms and dental treatment was considered an important part of physical health.
Many historical health books in Drs library's, gave over similar importance to dental health, claiming all manner of associated illnesses and risks associated with poor dental health, including increased mental health ! Even specifically associating an increased risk of some mental illnesses with poor dental health.
In reality, most of this has fallen by the wayside, we mostly no longer believe it. Antibiotics take care of all of the most dire consequences of very poor dental health but even so, it's unlikely abscesses will kill.
Hurt ? Yes. Be horribly unattractive, smelly and off putting ? Yes. And may take a long time to heal. (That's what alcohol is for !)

But if you read medical and dr's books from many years ago, many other things are contained in them that have both fallen by the wayside AND interestingly have also re-emerged.

For instance Myalgic encephalomyelitis (M E) appeared in medical journals 70-90 yrs ago, as did post viral fatigue, which has been known about but largely ignored, until morphing into "long COVID"

It's an interesting debate, the extent to which, these relatively (at one time) rare illnesses, have become so much more common.
Interest and information ? A coincidence of changing dietary habits ? (Think diabetes and the modern type 2 diabetes plague, that is increasing) Chemicals and toxins to which we are now commonly exposed ?

Dental DIY is unwise, it's painful and unattractive but how recent in human history is dentistry ? If you have to, you can do it, I have. I survived and didn't need antibiotics and didn't die. But no I'm not recommending it. Coincidentally I've also reset a dislocated shoulder without a medical degree, or nitrous oxide.
You would be surprised what you can do, if you have to and eventually, someday, we may have to.

On the plus side, luckily most of us will never experience, or have to experience of DIY health care.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

I have an abscess and feel awful, the whole right side of my jaw is painful, my ear hurts, the throbbing is terrible and I have a headache. I felt it coming on yesterday took painkillers, did saltwater mouthwashes and phoned the dentist for an emergency appointment this morning. Got antibiotics thank goodness but how the hell would someone cope without antibiotics for this? I have a whole load of mouth gels and clove oil in my stores, none of which are recommended for an abscess. Without antibiotics I am guessing that sepsis would be an issue and possibly a spread of infection to the brain, not a pleasant way to go and not something which you can stock antibiotics for unless you have access to them for other reasons. Quite a scary thought actually.
Growing old disgracefully!
jansman

Post by jansman »

Medusa wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:05 pm I have an abscess and feel awful, the whole right side of my jaw is painful, my ear hurts, the throbbing is terrible and I have a headache. I felt it coming on yesterday took painkillers, did saltwater mouthwashes and phoned the dentist for an emergency appointment this morning. Got antibiotics thank goodness but how the hell would someone cope without antibiotics for this? I have a whole load of mouth gels and clove oil in my stores, none of which are recommended for an abscess. Without antibiotics I am guessing that sepsis would be an issue and possibly a spread of infection to the brain, not a pleasant way to go and not something which you can stock antibiotics for unless you have access to them for other reasons. Quite a scary thought actually.
I hope you feel better soon
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Medusa, I hope you're at your appointment right now, and the medication they can give you take effect really soon.