So i want to bury a shipping container

Homes and Retreats
Baloo

Re: So i want to bury a shipping container

Post by Baloo »

Frnc wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:35 pm
Baloo wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:00 am or i could just forget about being underground at all and biuld a bunker at the back end of the leanto ( as someone suggested earlier ) still pour the walls ceiling, bank vault type door (s) , make them super thick and then stack hay bales around it making look just like a hay stack
You mean with the roof flush with ground level?

Regarding site, you need to figure out where the water table is and where water flows after rain. The lower you start, and the lower you dig, the more chance of water. Obviously buildings are generally at least 6 " off the ground. apart from cellars. My cellar is pretty dry, but I could be lucky.
i was thinking of just sitting the bunker on the concrete slab so its all above ground but inside the barn extension, its easy i guess, then i got to thinking about how l would pour the concrete for the walls and roof and the outlet on the concrete truck can probably only reach up to about 5ft above the ground so maybe i will sink the bunker halfway into the ground a meter below ground and a meter above ground, a sort of halfway house, would be more resistant to a side ways blast and reasonably easy to construct inside a barn out of sight, once finished cover it in hay bales and it would be hard to find by accident , such as if l leave the barn doors open and someone walks in
Last edited by Baloo on Sat May 06, 2023 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I started off with nothing and still have most of it left
Baloo

Post by Baloo »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:58 pm
Baloo wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:58 am im going to throw a curved ball in here

i have this 5th wheel trailer that i live in during the nice sunny months, its great
You've got all the best toys!

Hitting the curve ball back at you...... Post SHTF, wouldn't legging in your RV, to somewhere remote, be a half decent option, better than hiding in your bunker, to be parked up in remote parts of Wales?

I visualise your coppice as being like Tracey Island from Thunderbirds :) [Theme music] 5, 4, 3, 2, 1..... Shutter opens up in the ground and an RV zooms out flanked by matching JCBs.[/theme music]
im not sure leaving the bunker is a good idea in my mind, first that trailer is heavy really heavy circa 5tons which puts it outside the towing capacity of most if not all uk pickup trucks so you have to tow it with a commercial lorry like a cab of an artic its slow real slow so you couldn't escape at speed, and when you did find a quite spot in wales or where ever you are the outsider your on someone elses patch, you only have the fuel in the tank that will run out and your hardly inconspicuous in a lorry and trailer trying to find fuel, i think i would just be a target for folk try to steal my fuel,lpg food etc,
where as if i hunker down in my barn i have everything to hand as much food as i want to store, as much water, as many lpg bottle as i care to store and a tractor shed next door with a 3000lt diesel tank thats full of red diesel, that would power a webasto type heater for years and 2 diesel generators that can power the place if need be, i would have the high ground as its my patch, so i think that puts me in the stay put camp but its great everyone has different ideas l would probably have a different idea if i lived in the centre of town in the middle of a terrace of houses, but i live in the middle of no where probably 20 miles from birmingham or worcester , it took a while to get to this position years and years in fact , but i lived in that camper for 3 years while i built my own house but it was the dream i had
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

As you like thinking of curve balls.
A sort of combination of bunker/ trailer and thunderbirds.
Build the bunker bigger than the container , underground as bunkers are. Living quarters in the container which is lowered into the concrete shell of the bunker. No huge crane needed here , I'm thinking of how we used to dismount containers from lorries using little more than a car jack. Thus if there's an event that requires bugging in it's down to the bunker , if there's an event that might require bugging out raise the container onto the back of a lorry and shoot off. Or I could just be wandering off into fantasy here....
Baloo

Post by Baloo »

grenfell wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 5:09 pm With regards to the green staining on the trailer. It's purely for transport but a little while ago I brought a twin axle box trailer. It was of course white , or rather a bit grubby white , and really was a big ugly obvious white box that tended to get dirty when not used during the winter. . I camouflage painted it , two shades of green and some black. Now it's a much less obvious ugly green box and I don't really notice any staining.
To be honest I always think that caravans shouldn't be painted white. Getting away to the beauty of the countryside only to cover it in white boxes . Much less obtrusive if they were dull green or grey but that's a different argument...
i absolutely agree with you, white is such a stand out colour in the landscape, and yes caravans should come from the factory in green lol
i could see my camper down in the wood last summer but i knew where it was but it did stand out too much for my liking, i was going to paint it 3 shades of green i even bought the paint, i tend to paint most things around here some shade of green they tend to blend in so much better
like this water tanker i had to make when i was planting the wood, you cant just whop a few trees in and expect a fully grown wood the following year, i found i lose 50% to the pesky deer and the other 50% fail due to lack of water so l made this water tanker/sprayer i dragged around 2 or 3 times a week when the trees were still juniors
when i wasent using it i could just leave it in the wood somewhere,
army green is pretty good at camouflaging things, this is what i use to drag my camper around the woods 6 wheel drive and heavy to make sure the camper dosent have me over

now the camper i bought 10 years ago for a temporary home while i built a house intending to sell it once the house was ready, however l liked it so much l kept it and use it in the summer, i was going to paint it green but thought in might devalue it if i want to sell and the only reason i would sell is ive always had a hankering for a double decker bus to convert to a camper that i could move around the woods during the summer months, i have looked at them from time to time on ebay and a couple of the bus companies do have a nice green livery

now i dont have a bus (yet ) but i do have an airport loader thats some where on my list of projects

plan with this is to make the grp box on the back into a log cabin complete with patio, then it can go down in the woods by the lake and at night it can go up into the tree tops and sleep with the stars..... but thats probably not prepping and a subject for a log cabin forum lol
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Baloo wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:22 am
jennyjj01 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:58 pm
Baloo wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:58 am im going to throw a curved ball in here

i have this 5th wheel trailer that i live in during the nice sunny months, its great
You've got all the best toys!

Hitting the curve ball back at you...... Post SHTF, wouldn't legging in your RV, to somewhere remote, be a half decent option, better than hiding in your bunker, to be parked up in remote parts of Wales?

I visualise your coppice as being like Tracey Island from Thunderbirds :) [Theme music] 5, 4, 3, 2, 1..... Shutter opens up in the ground and an RV zooms out flanked by matching JCBs.[/theme music]
im not sure leaving the bunker is a good idea in my mind, first that trailer is heavy really heavy circa 5tons which puts it outside the towing capacity of most if not all uk pickup trucks so you have to tow it with a commercial lorry like a cab of an artic its slow real slow so you couldn't escape at speed, and when you did find a quite spot in wales or where ever you are the outsider your on someone elses patch, you only have the fuel in the tank that will run out and your hardly inconspicuous in a lorry and trailer trying to find fuel, i think i would just be a target for folk try to steal my fuel,lpg food etc,
where as if i hunker down in my barn i have everything to hand as much food as i want to store, as much water, as many lpg bottle as i care to store and a tractor shed next door with a 3000lt diesel tank thats full of red diesel, that would power a webasto type heater for years and 2 diesel generators that can power the place if need be, i would have the high ground as its my patch, so i think that puts me in the stay put camp but its great everyone has different ideas l would probably have a different idea if i lived in the centre of town in the middle of a terrace of houses, but i live in the middle of no where probably 20 miles from birmingham or worcester , it took a while to get to this position years and years in fact , but i lived in that camper for 3 years while i built my own house but it was the dream i had
Yeah, if you have to evacuate, you want to be able to do it on foot or a push bike in my opinion. That way you aren't dependent on fuel, aren't trapped in gridlock. A motorbike might be an option. But a pushbike never needs fuel. You can go by road, pavement, footpath, through woods, around fields, canal paths. You can go stealthy if necessary. I can carry a rucksack, 4 panniers, plus a bag on each rack. That's over 140 litres volume, plus a foam sleeping mat.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Baloo wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:06 am
Frnc wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:35 pm
Baloo wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:00 am or i could just forget about being underground at all and biuld a bunker at the back end of the leanto ( as someone suggested earlier ) still pour the walls ceiling, bank vault type door (s) , make them super thick and then stack hay bales around it making look just like a hay stack
You mean with the roof flush with ground level?

Regarding site, you need to figure out where the water table is and where water flows after rain. The lower you start, and the lower you dig, the more chance of water. Obviously buildings are generally at least 6 " off the ground. apart from cellars. My cellar is pretty dry, but I could be lucky.
i was thinking of just sitting the bunker on the concrete slab so its all above ground but inside the barn extension, its easy i guess, then i got to thinking about how l would pour the concrete for the walls and roof and the outlet on the concrete truck can probably only reach up to about 5ft above the ground so maybe i will sink the bunker halfway into the ground a meter below ground and a meter above ground, a sort of halfway house, would be more resistant to a side ways blast and reasonably easy to construct inside a barn out of sight, once finished cover it in hay bales and it would be hard to find by accident , such as if l leave the barn doors open and someone walks in
You can just build the walls out of breeze blocks. Dead simple. No one is gonna find it, except kids maybe. You can put a good lock on it.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

ZIL ?
And if so just a little more jealous...
Baloo

Post by Baloo »

grenfell wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:25 pm
ZIL ?
And if so just a little more jealous...
Yes zil 131. It should be getting a diesel conversion this summer as the petrol consumption is horrendous, probably Volvo fl6 with Alison auto box
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I can imagine . I was talking to a guy at an event who had a wartime 6x6 GMC truck and he was saying that he gets around 4mpg. Continuing the conversation I mentioned how there seemed to be less tanks and heavier stuff on the circuit ( re-enactment mainly) and he went on to say just how expensive it had become and since the financial crash of 2008/9 a lot of the heavier stuff has gone abroad much of it to the US. If you don't mind me asking where did yours originate ?
Baloo

Post by Baloo »

grenfell wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:34 am I can imagine . I was talking to a guy at an event who had a wartime 6x6 GMC truck and he was saying that he gets around 4mpg. Continuing the conversation I mentioned how there seemed to be less tanks and heavier stuff on the circuit ( re-enactment mainly) and he went on to say just how expensive it had become and since the financial crash of 2008/9 a lot of the heavier stuff has gone abroad much of it to the US. If you don't mind me asking where did yours originate ?
Hi
yes 4mpg is about right so its not practical as a daily driver really although ive been to Tescos a few times in one of them

Peenemunde is where mine came from, it was a rocket research station behind the iron curtain in east Germany, its still there now with a museum thats still open i think

when the iron curtain fell Peenemunde found itself in west Germany and the staff there moved out presumably to Russia but they left behind much of the equipment among that equipment out on the runways were hundreds and hundreds of zil 131 tankers. they were mostly decontamination trucks which translates into a water tanker with a jet wash attached i dont think many if any saw action and were mainly used for washing red square before the many parades they held
i dont know the specifics of who then owned them but they were sold of in quantity to anyone who wanted them, some how or other the UN became involved thinking they would make great water tankers for disaster relief and so one way or another hundreds were shipped over to the uk for recommissioning and painting white , here a pic of google earth showing some of them in a field near Beccles
the UN connection explains why there are so many white ones floating about

sometime during the repainting period it came to light that the brakes on a 131 work backwards rendering them ilegal/unsafe for road use and the project collapsed and the zils were sold to anyone who wanted one/some, lots went to a scarp yard near Derham where you could go and buy spares off the ones that met the gas axe, i went there several times,
when they were selling them off they did deals on more than one if i remember correctly it was £1000 for 4 which is what i bought, 2 were later sold on to get my money back and i still have 2 one good one and one for spares not that ive needed any
all of the above was told to me by the seller when i bought my 4 of them