So i want to bury a shipping container

Homes and Retreats
Peter

Re: So i want to bury a shipping container

Post by Peter »

Oops, what’s happened ?.

............After 14 days you would need to stay in your shelter most of the time.

After 3 months with radiation down to 0.01% it would still be prudent to sleep in the shelter.

Still if the worst came to the worst you do what you can, this is something not many can prep for.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Peter wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 11:00 pm Oops, what’s happened ?.

............After 14 days you would need to stay in your shelter most of the time.

After 3 months with radiation down to 0.01% it would still be prudent to sleep in the shelter.

Still if the worst came to the worst you do what you can, this is something not many can prep for.
I don’t think I would want to be underground that long Peter. In fact, I am the sort of chap that doesn’t fancy underground at all! Rather a good point you’ve made. Radiation doesn’t go away quickly.

It’s not the same as a bomb related dose of radiation, and how long that lasts, but I do have something of an example: A month ago I completed 30 consecutive days of radiotherapy to treat my *ancer.( sorry, but it doesn’t deserve it’s full name!). Upon day thirty I was told that my next scan could not be done for three more months, as basically the radiation is still ‘cooking’ in my head!

So imagine what a military nuclear weapon causes.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Baloo

Post by Baloo »

I guess it's all a guess, what type of bomb/accident. How far away etc etc
I see radiation as the least likely scenario
I'm expecting asteroid or COVID 20/21 first
But who knows
I started off with nothing and still have most of it left
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Baloo , interested to hear how you intend to incorperate the septic tank with the container . Presumably buried alongside and plumbed in ?
jansman

Post by jansman »

Baloo wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:10 am I guess it's all a guess, what type of bomb/accident. How far away etc etc
But who knows
In my family/ work experiences,COVID hit us before we realised… so trying to hide underground from it wouldn’t make much difference…just sayin’.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

jansman wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:45 am
Baloo wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:10 am I guess it's all a guess, what type of bomb/accident. How far away etc etc
But who knows
In my family/ work experiences,COVID hit us before we realised… so trying to hide underground from it wouldn’t make much difference…just sayin’.
Hope your head isn't glowing Jansman ..I imagine in there its like the ready break kid ..seriously hope the radiation is doing what it needs to do ...
I know someone who still has the old air raid shelter in garden and they've kept it maintained ..I've been in ..
I know 100% i couldn't live underground cramped and stressed for possibly decades
And the family who have it will probably do each other in if stuck in there ..it would just end up a tomb ..they dont get on now ...
Takes a certain person with all of the things they need in place to do this ..im not sure how possible it is unless you have unlimited amounts of money to sustain everything
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

But who knows
Definitely all a guess, and your guess is as good as anyones. That you are enjoying your project means you are already winning. The rest of us are suffering Excavator and coppice envy :)

Another Pandemic: I concur that is likely, but whether a bunker would help is questionable.
Asteroid: I reckon if it was big enough to disrupt the ecosystem, you might need to live underground forever. Eating what?
Radiation/Bioweapons/Missiles: I feel are more likely, but again, how long would you actually stat underground. Imagine yourself as the Ukrainian or syrian that had the foresight to build a bunker in his coppice? Has he surfaced yet? Has his bunker been revealed? When does one surface in a long term conflict?

For me, the kind of event that might see me becoming a 'Morlock' might also see me just preferring suicide.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Baloo

Post by Baloo »

grenfell wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:15 am Baloo , interested to hear how you intend to incorperate the septic tank with the container . Presumably buried alongside and plumbed in ?
its all about location location location, i was lucky in the first place in that im located on top of a hill and i further enhanced that when i had to cut out a section of the hillside for the concrete pad for my barn, i built up the top of the hill in a manor that benifited me with all the spoil that cam out
heres a simple sketch not to scale but the bunker although underground is higher that the surrounding area, french drains should take any ground water away and there is enough elevation change for the cesspit to work in a conventional manor no pumps or power required

i will put in a ft of gravel first for drainage then a 12" concrete pad that needs to ramp down in the centre section which will be fine for the container as they only sit on the corners

cesspit can be any distance i choose down hill to give the correct gradient , probably in a very think clump of brambles to help disguise it but near enough to the access road that it can be pumped out if needed
Baloo

Post by Baloo »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:31 am
But who knows
Definitely all a guess, and your guess is as good as anyones. That you are enjoying your project means you are already winning. The rest of us are suffering Excavator and coppice envy :)

Another Pandemic: I concur that is likely, but whether a bunker would help is questionable.
Asteroid: I reckon if it was big enough to disrupt the ecosystem, you might need to live underground forever. Eating what?
Radiation/Bioweapons/Missiles: I feel are more likely, but again, how long would you actually stat underground. Imagine yourself as the Ukrainian or syrian that had the foresight to build a bunker in his coppice? Has he surfaced yet? Has his bunker been revealed? When does one surface in a long term conflict?

For me, the kind of event that might see me becoming a 'Morlock' might also see me just preferring suicide.
Hi
its entirely possible to grow vegetables underground to help eak out the food rations, not sure i would want to though i might turn into a rabbit,
and yes enjoying my projects is a big part of it, it gives me a reason to play on the excavators and researching stuff is fun,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtWzdktcjKc
Baloo

Post by Baloo »

im going to throw a curved ball in here

i have this 5th wheel trailer that i live in during the nice sunny months, its great i love it but during the winter it gets towed back up to the workshop and sits outside in the rain snow ice it goes all green from algae or what ever falls out of trees, this has irritated me for some time i would like it in the workshop for the winter months to help keep it in good order and protect it from the elements, now it will go in the workshop but it takes up most of the space stopping anything else from happening in there , so ive applied for and now got planning for a lean to all down the one side of the barn

hard to see in the pic but it get green slime all over it

leanto will be the length of the building which is 80 odd ft and come out 16 ft, camper is around 40ft long so will take up around half of it during the winter months, now i was planning on putting a vehicle inspection pit in the front half of it and that made me ponder putting the bunker un the back half of it, it has some advantages, main one is i can biuld the bunker once the walls and roof are on that way no one can see what im up to, i dont need to use a container as a form/shuttering i can go back to icf blocks to construct the bunker from, concrete lorry can back into the building unload and drive off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RmyJ4B31hQ

as i would have an inspection pit i could enter the bunker from there via a concealed door all seems to work in my head
but the one major disadvantage is it will be below the water table so ingress of water i see as a major issue enough to maybe put me off the idea, but swimming pools dont leak water out when made from concrete do they ? is concrete water proof ? or can it be made waterproof,
it also means i have to have pumped sewage as its got to go up hill, so much to think about,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,