So i want to bury a shipping container

Homes and Retreats
Nurseandy

Re: So i want to bury a shipping container

Post by Nurseandy »

I forgot a bit in my post on angled sewage pipes. If you do have water to flush the solids away then you don't want a really steep angle as the water overtakes the solids and you end up with them getting stuck again.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Nurseandy wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:15 am I forgot a bit in my post on angled sewage pipes. If you do have water to flush the solids away then you don't want a really steep angle as the water overtakes the solids and you end up with them getting stuck again.
Back to the idea of vent pipes. The domestic plumbing at this and my previous homes had a vent 'stink pipe' up through the roof. I only just discovered why. If you flush the loo without a vent, then the waste can suck the water out of the loo s bend, The vent needn't be much, but I think it is required in most cases. I guess that there's actually a fair bit of design to make plumbing work properly, gradients, etc.
A flushing loo or shower with a drain is quite a big ask for a container bunker. Would caravan type solutions be appropriate?
So..... Things to plan.... Similar apply to 'protect and survive' shelters.
Practicalities of reinforcement?
Ventilation?
Electricity and lighting?
Cooking safety?
Sanitation?
Water supply or storage?
Storage space?
Access?
Air quality control (germs/mould/condensation)?
Maintenance till needed?
Temperature control?
Staying sane?

It's a heck of a project!
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:03 am Thinking of containers. We once took a freezer to the tip and were directed to push it to the back of a big lorry container. That container was wet, dark and grim and stank, even with the door open. I dread to think of the ambience if it were sealed and home to every cooking and pooping and peeing smell. (Think smelly phone box but bigger) It would surely be very damp from just exhaled breath, let alone heated food and water and pee. Surely impossible to keep dry and likely to harbour every form of mould. What would that do to your lungs. Also what would happen to temperature in there?
Would it need LOTS of ventilation, way above what is needed to breath and light a candle or stove. Isn't that a shortcoming of the old protect & survive shelter where dusty radioactive air would be drawn in?

I double dare anybody to spend 24 hours in a shipping container with the door locked. Even fitted out with all the comforts of home. Maybe we have an ex coal miner in our membership that can report on life underground?
I've used containers on building sites that are decked out as canteens. They are normally insulated , decorated , often with electric and running water. Like that they're not too unpleasent although granted the longest I've been in one is about 7-8 hours. Downside of course of the insulation is that some internal space is lost.
We used to have a poster on here called Deeps who I seem to recall served on submarines which might be a better comparrison than a mine. It would be a good idea to do the test run in a container. I'd add , book a fortnight in Spain or Greece but go into the shelter instead to give that added feeling of loss in the situation...
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Regarding insulation, the lower part of it will be subject to less extremes than the temp outside, but the upper part of it won't have much of that shielding. This gives the rough idea:

grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Nice graph , at least from a technical point but not that much use from a practical point of view. Realistically the insulation is going to be a uniform slab of celltex glued/fixed to the sides of the container.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Just another thought regarding insulation , but acoustic rather than thermal. I mentioned something along the lines of a submarine listening underwater and watching a documentary about military mining and countermining the idea of listening for the enemy digging was discussed. While I'm not suggesting anything as sophisticated as that might be employed to look for a bunker living in one might involve s bit of silent running. No loud music drifting up the vent pipes and so on...
Baloo

Post by Baloo »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:03 am Thinking of containers. We once took a freezer to the tip and were directed to push it to the back of a big lorry container. That container was wet, dark and grim and stank, even with the door open. I dread to think of the ambience if it were sealed and home to every cooking and pooping and peeing smell. (Think smelly phone box but bigger) It would surely be very damp from just exhaled breath, let alone heated food and water and pee. Surely impossible to keep dry and likely to harbour every form of mould. What would that do to your lungs. Also what would happen to temperature in there?
Would it need LOTS of ventilation, way above what is needed to breath and light a candle or stove. Isn't that a shortcoming of the old protect & survive shelter where dusty radioactive air would be drawn in?

I double dare anybody to spend 24 hours in a shipping container with the door locked. Even fitted out with all the comforts of home. Maybe we have an ex coal miner in our membership that can report on life underground?
you certainly have a different idea of what its like in a container or bunker, have a look at some of Rons bunkers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXffAkXKjCs&t=824s

they are light airy dry and just fine to survive in, its a safe haven for emergencies not a 5 star holiday home if i have to rough it a bit so be it,

yes its underground but you wouldent know it when your inside, you can have flat screen tv's on the wall that display whats going on outside via the cameras, and no im not worried about people finding the cameras and following the wifi back to the bunker
in this picture there are 2 outward looking cameras invisible to those that dont know they are there

the cameras display on the walls of the bunker just like they are windows , heres a view off one of the cameras

4 of these around the walls will remove any feelings of isolation

l know i wouldent have any problem living in 40'x8' as i have one of these 5th wheel campers which is the same size

over the last few years i have lived in in the summer months with it sited in a clearing next to one of the lakes i have dug in my 7 acre "coppice"
no ones found me, the council haven turned up and turfed me out, its all very doable the only dislike i have is the very small bathroom, my shoulders touch the wall in the wc and in the shower hence my desire to have a proper size bathroom in the bunker that functions exactly as a normal house bathroom, to that end i picked up this to use as a cesspit recently,

dont know how much they are normally but this one came for a hundred quid so i bought it myself for Christmas, all i have to do is repair a small hole where the yard fork lift driver got all excited with his forklift truck and punched a hole in it

simple repair with grp and its good to go
I started off with nothing and still have most of it left
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:03 am Some fascinating thoughts emanating from this thread and they do apply to bug-in.

I feel a spreadsheet coming on to list the volume and weight of different needs and by products to be independent of the outside world. Those of us storing a few hundred litres of water and two rolls of bin bags may be totally in the wrong ball park.

Thinking of containers. We once took a freezer to the tip and were directed to push it to the back of a big lorry container. That container was wet, dark and grim and stank, even with the door open. I dread to think of the ambience if it were sealed and home to every cooking and pooping and peeing smell. (Think smelly phone box but bigger) It would surely be very damp from just exhaled breath, let alone heated food and water and pee. Surely impossible to keep dry and likely to harbour every form of mould. What would that do to your lungs. Also what would happen to temperature in there?

Hmm.. that's a point. If it was used to hide from radiation, how would you filter the air? Obviously this has been studied by people designing bunkers for the rich and powerful. There must be filters and detectors. I think you need something like a HEPA filter that's rated for radioactive dust. https://allergycosmos.co.uk/blogs/news/ ... -radiation
Baloo

Post by Baloo »

bunkers arnt just for the rich and famous in some countries such as switzerland, israel you have to by law have a bunker for any building/house
when you add in public shelters Switzerland has bunkers for 130% of its population think about that 30% spare spaces for tourists and visitors
the UK lags a long way behind looking after its population
Swiss air systems seem to be among the best, probably because they make so many lol , thats the way im going its just a carbon filter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5CUWX8EeZM

and talking of radiation 99% of radiation decays away after 48 hours so your stay in a bunker might not be that long ( if what i read is correct )
I started off with nothing and still have most of it left
Peter

Post by Peter »

Baloo wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 6:15 pm
.........and talking of radiation 99% of radiation decays away after 48 hours so your stay in a bunker might not be that long
( if what i read is correct )
With radiation from fallout follow the seven/ten rule.

Using the roentgen as the unit of radiation absorbed, 400R is fatal to 50% of the population, 600R is 100% fatal.

Initial level 100% maybe 2000R/hr, maybe 5000R/hr, no one knows.

After 7 hours 10%, 200R/hr ?, 500R/hr ?.

After 48 hours 1%, still 20R/hr or 50R/hr. you might be able to leave your shelter for a few minutes only, dispose of outdo

After 14 days 0.1% 2R/hr or 5R/hr. You would be able to leave your shelter for a little longer