well hello

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Frnc

Re: well hello

Post by Frnc »

Why not try and make the barn small enough so you can't see it behind the 20ft mounds? That way you don't really need a bunker as such. You could have a little cellar inside it. I think you want to make the barn look delapidated or basic/DIY, as if it's just for storing junk or hay, in case someone does see it.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:13 pm Why not try and make the barn small enough so you can't see it behind the 20ft mounds? That way you don't really need a bunker as such. You could have a little cellar inside it. I think you want to make the barn look delapidated or basic/DIY, as if it's just for storing junk or hay, in case someone does see it.
I would like to read the original poster's rationale and plans.
Is he going to defy planning permission rules? Is he just planning his own crypt or does he really believe he could live for months confined to a buried box, maybe the size of a shipping container? Is he prepping for one? What's the plan for when he emerges into a devastated landscape?
If he has solar panels on his barn feeding his bunker, then who defends those panels from looters when he's hunkered down? Same with water supplies. Unattended solar panels would be high on the shopping list of a post crisis survivor, so I could see them getting pinched and the cables pulled out to reveal his bunker.
The only way I see his secret bunker being a success would be if he were in it and saved while the local populace was decimated by an event.
Chance of keeping such an underground shelter secret..... Nil.
We already have his IP address and a photo of his digger. :P

His little coppice looks very appealing
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Oh, I think the barn is already built, and isn't actually within the horseshoe.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Come back original poster. You've piqued our interest
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Baloo

Post by Baloo »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:44 am Thanks for this! The tracks idea, going ahead with the vehicle and *then* planting is a really good one - though there seems to be a *lot* of tracks?

The barn sounds brilliant, and I understand your concern about being known to have a bunker, but I guarantee you, if it gets found out - by a teenager playing with a drone, for instance - you'll be in the national newspapers as quick as anything. Surely, if the barn is so big, you can make a hidey hole in there?

yep there is a lot of tracks, l still enjoy blating about in there on my quad bike, its around 1.2km of track if you go round them all, i may have grown old but ive never grown up
I started off with nothing and still have most of it left
Baloo

Post by Baloo »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:52 am
Baloo wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:20 am Hi
im not sure im any different from those with homesteads who want to be self sufficient and im not into fortification more secrecy, if no one knows its there then its not a problem to anyone and that throws up the first decision to be made do l ask for planning permission ??? because that blows any ideas of it being a well kept secret right out of the water, the council will post my application on lamp posts nearby asking for objections, they will write to the nearest houses asking for their views on the project so this really sends me down the secret route, do it and tell know one !!

i will post up about how i intend to construct as im sure it will raise eyebows lol
I'm not a lawyer but as I read it, you would need planning permission.
i think so too......... but planning law is complicated its not like criminal law, if you drive at 35 mph in a 30 limited youve broken the law black and white, will you get a penalty who knows hit and miss, if you for instance biuld a bungalow at the bottom of your garden you havent broken any law until the council refuse your planning application which you havent made so they dont know about it, if they notice it you will get a visit and asked to remove it or apply for planning permission, they still cant take you to court until they have refused planning which can take months now there is the 4 year rule that states if your bungalow has been there unchallenged for 4 years or more then it automatically gains its own planning permission, slim chance you will go undetected for 4 years though .... now if it was underground your chances of detection drop dramatically, so the way im reading it by installing a bunker im not breaking the law until they refuse planning and then i am, but upon detection i have the option of applying for planning permission and why would they refuse something they cant see ?, dont burst my bubble if you think im wrong lol
Baloo

Post by Baloo »

Frnc wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:03 pm Oh, I think the barn is already built, and isn't actually within the horseshoe.
hi yes barn is already built 20 plus years ago and not in the area ive saved for a bunker about a hundred feet or so away,, i did think about digging the floor out in the barn and putting it under the barn but its at a lower level and water ingress would be a real problem, the area ive selected/saved is above grade and drainage will be easy to accomplish
Baloo

Post by Baloo »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:37 pm Come back original poster. You've piqued our interest
im still here i was busy painting my excavator a different colour so you cant fine me :roll:

i dont really know what l are prepping for, it could be war it could be tornados that destroy the every building in the country, it could be meteor strike that sends up dust clouds that blacks out the sun for months or grid failure
we might get covid 20 thats far more aggressive and contagious where we really need to isolate from everyone else
im not seeing looters as probable and if they wanted solar panels they would just go to a solar farm where there is thousands of them at ground level for the taking why climb up on my roof for a few

but either way l like projects its an interesting way to spend my time, better than going down the pub ?
Baloo

Post by Baloo »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:52 am
Baloo wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:20 am Hi
im not sure im any different from those with homesteads who want to be self sufficient and im not into fortification more secrecy, if no one knows its there then its not a problem to anyone and that throws up the first decision to be made do l ask for planning permission ??? because that blows any ideas of it being a well kept secret right out of the water, the council will post my application on lamp posts nearby asking for objections, they will write to the nearest houses asking for their views on the project so this really sends me down the secret route, do it and tell know one !!

i will post up about how i intend to construct as im sure it will raise eyebows lol
I'm not a lawyer but as I read it, you would need planning permission.
hello again
i was just pondering planning over my mussily, i have full planning for the barn that was done 25 years ago at the same time i sought planning for 3 40' shipping containers which i got, ive just looked up the paper work, it says 3 shipping containers for the purpose of storage, it dosent define where they are in relation to the barn so if l turned one into a bunker is it still covered by the original pp ? it still on the same property just have to move it 60ft or so, and its still used for storing all the gear needed to survive, pp dosent say what i was storing :roll:
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Baloo wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:38 am
jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:37 pm Come back original poster. You've piqued our interest
im still here i was busy painting my excavator a different colour so you cant fine me :roll:
Jenny, find out the colour and get photoshopping!