Potential drought coming to UK

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
Vitamin c

Re: Potential drought coming to UK

Post by Vitamin c »

Fill er up jacko...
jansman

Post by jansman »

Over the last 20 years we have had several massive fish extermination events locally, caused by upstream disposal of sewage.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Brown circles are sewer storm discharges with duration monitoring.
Brown squares are treated sewage discharges.
White circles are sewer storm discharges without duration monitoring.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Top tip. Practice your eskimo rolls in a swimming pool not in a UK river!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:57 pmSounds like you have an idea though.
Thanks!
Your waterbutts : I would just glue them in with say Araldite,and put plumbers tape on the thread. Fill em up and just bung a small bucket,pan or jug in the top when needed. ;)
I actually bought some plumbers tape, but I quailed :oops: :oops: :oops: but I could do it, of course I could.

And you mean not waiting to plumb them in to a drainpipe (which is another issue all its own, bad placing) ... but fill at least one of them with water carried out from the house? Interesting! I could do that with the smaller, narrower one. The larger one, its on its side, and the lid fell off - I'm pretty sure cats and foxes make their home there now :shock: I'm not in any hurry to sort that particular piece of mayhem.

PS - as far as local streams are concerned, I'm very lucky - they all start **here**, as land drainage, you can see the little land drainage pipes emptying into the head of a "watercourse". I give it inverted commas because these streams are about a foot wide :lol: they've probably got fertiliser and dust from the road in them, but no effluent.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:07 pm
Thanks!
Your waterbutts : I would just glue them in with say Araldite,and put plumbers tape on the thread. Fill em up and just bung a small bucket,pan or jug in the top when needed. ;)
I actually bought some plumbers tape, but I quailed :oops: :oops: :oops: but I could do it, of course I could.

And you mean not waiting to plumb them in to a drainpipe (which is another issue all its own, bad placing) ... but fill at least one of them with water carried out from the house? Interesting! I could do that with the smaller, narrower one. The larger one, its on its side, and the lid fell off - I'm pretty sure cats and foxes make their home there now :shock: I'm not in any hurry to sort that particular piece of mayhem.

PS - as far as local streams are concerned, I'm very lucky - they all start **here**, as land drainage, you can see the little land drainage pipes emptying into the head of a "watercourse". I give it inverted commas because these streams are about a foot wide :lol: they've probably got fertiliser and dust from the road in them, but no effluent.
Have you a hosepipe? Use that to fill them up perhaps? As for streams,you have already thought of that ,and well ahead of neighbours. ;)

Robert Frost.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:20 pm
Thanks!

Have you a hosepipe? Use that to fill them up perhaps? As for streams,you have already thought of that ,and well ahead of neighbours. ;)
I must admit the hassle of plumbing it in put me off getting one. Filling it with a hosepipe isn't a bad idea. I suppose collecting rain water is more eco, but at least I have another option.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

I wonder if small streams are less polluted. Trouble is some sewage is discharged into groundwater. Check the map. Peak District is pretty clean, but a bit far.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:42 pm
jansman wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:20 pm
Thanks!

I must admit the hassle of plumbing it in put me off getting one. Filling it with a hosepipe isn't a bad idea. I suppose collecting rain water is more eco, but at least I have another option.
In the Summer my battery of barrels are hose - filled so I can water the veg garden. That way ,if there is a hosepipe ban,my watering is not seen! I also like them full just in case of original reason for them being there. ;)

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:44 pm I wonder if small streams are less polluted. Trouble is some sewage is discharged into groundwater. Check the map. Peak District is pretty clean, but a bit far.
We have a brook over the road that is supplied by underground springs. In fact my neighbour has a house called ‘Aqua Villa’ under which a spring flows. He has a manual pump to extract it!

Water is so basic ,yet so essential.

Robert Frost.

Me.