Hello John got a new motor.

Logistics and Transport
Vitamin c

Hello John got a new motor.

Post by Vitamin c »

So the coming death of the car is well and truly on its way the emissions zone in London has increased in size again plans afoot for similar schemes in most major towns and city's and the price of electric cars is still way out of most folks pockets.

When do you think the prices of cars will crash ...
Or they just become to expensive to run ...
Fill er up jacko...
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Hello John got a new motor.

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Fortunately my car is compliant (euro 6) god knows how I'm lucky to get 34mpg :lol: 2016 1.6 petrol

The whole system is a bit of a joke
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

We need to get away from cars in cities. Hardly anyone drives round Tokyo and not many round London, because public transport is good. In Machester we've got a lot of trams now. They are not as fast as in Tokyo in the city centre because they are over ground, but they are pretty quick once out of the city centre.
London has a good pricing system for buses, and the buses are reasonably quick due to less traffic. They are cheap and the pricing is simplified. The underground is cheap if you use a debit card at the gate.
Tokyo metro is very cheap, fast, and extremely efficient. It's easy to get anyhere you want. The overground is owned by different private companies but they manage to get it to work.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Vitamin c wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:50 pm So the coming death of the car is well and truly on its way the emissions zone in London has increased in size again plans afoot for similar schemes in most major towns and city's and the price of electric cars is still way out of most folks pockets.

When do you think the prices of cars will crash ...
Or they just become to expensive to run ...
Getting too expensive or inconvenient to run will be the route ( pardon the pun) cars will go in the main in my opinion. Although saying that I can see prices or values dropping as they get too expensive to run. I have friends with "classic" cars which seem to be holding their value but I can see a point where that market crashes. Likewise one guy I work for brought a Ferrari a few years ago . He reckons it has risen in price considerably since he brought it. It's very rarely left the garage although part of that is because of it's unreliability but how long what is in effect a useless lump of metal can attract a high price can't go on forever.
Electric cars are expensive but if they were cheaper it would in many respects be a retrograde step. People will use them rather than public transport so doing nothing for problems like congestion. Just means you'd be able to happily have the windows open sitting in a traffic jam .
And just one last comment that I've mentioned before. Hydrogen cars. They would be even more expensive to run but seemto be being held up as a sort of petrolhead's wet dream.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I am in South London. We have considered managing without a car but it does not yet add up well.
Travel is great by bus to either of the nearest shopping areas. Central London is an hour off peak or 90 mins at peak times and there is no reason at all to use the car in that direction.
If however I want to travel ACROSS the bottom of London or visit a town just south of here then it becomes a problem. Once a week I travel to a nearby town just outside the TFL travel zones. In the car it is 20 minutes. By public transport it is 2 trains and either 2 buses or a mile and a half of walking - which takes well over an hour
each way. And as for travelling that route at night on my own....
Cycling is too dangerous for practical use although there are off road routes near us for short hops. Walking is used a fair bit but is less good if there is a lot to carry.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

https://www.whatcar.com/news/ulez-expan ... now/n15049

£12.50p a day area is basically anywhere inside the m25.
So for a average Londoner it's £62.50p a week to travel to work and then parking and you might go shopping st weekend.
Fill er up jacko...
Peter

Post by Peter »

Forget new, get a vehicle pre January 1982, exempt from emission charge, road tax and mot.

You will be able to do any repairs yourself no special tools needed, no computer so EMP proof.
Droidy

Post by Droidy »

Peter wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:04 pm Forget new, get a vehicle pre January 1982, exempt from emission charge, road tax and mot.

You will be able to do any repairs yourself no special tools needed, no computer so EMP proof.
I like your thinking there Peter 👏👏👏
It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end. U Le Guin
jansman

Post by jansman »

GillyBee wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:22 am I am in South London. We have considered managing without a car but it does not yet add up well.
Travel is great by bus to either of the nearest shopping areas. Central London is an hour off peak or 90 mins at peak times and there is no reason at all to use the car in that direction.
If however I want to travel ACROSS the bottom of London or visit a town just south of here then it becomes a problem. Once a week I travel to a nearby town just outside the TFL travel zones. In the car it is 20 minutes. By public transport it is 2 trains and either 2 buses or a mile and a half of walking - which takes well over an hour
each way. And as for travelling that route at night on my own....
Cycling is too dangerous for practical use although there are off road routes near us for short hops. Walking is used a fair bit but is less good if there is a lot to carry.
I totally understand. We are in a rural area,and right now my wife takes me to hospital in the city everyday .To get there in the car takes 25 minutes. To use a taxi each way would cost £35 to £40 a day. £175 to £200 a week. To use the buses would take 90 minutes to two hours. Each way. When I come out of hospital each day at this point,the treatment has ‘smashed’ me. Waiting for a bus wouldn’t work.

As for vehicles from the 80’s - and I am joking :D - I had enough of those and from the 70’s and they were CR*P! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Re cycling and danger. I try to avoid main roads. I used to cycle to work on a main road but I wouldn't now, even if there's a cycle lane, in rush hour, or even at mid am or pm. I usually do a route that mostly avoids main roads on my bike rides. I do a tiny bit on one. I have to turn left onto it and then go right. If there's not much traffic I just go on it and get into the middle to go right. Otherwise I go on the pavement for a bit.

Other times I've gone somewhere where it's a main road that can't be avoided, I've mostly gone on the pavement. This is in places where there are no shops or houses so almost no pedestrians. If there are houses and shops and the traffic is slow, I go on the road.

I always wear a yellow or orange top, and a helmet. Sometimes I put my rear light on, flashing.

It's not just how busy a road is. There's also traffic speed. Slow, heavy traffic is less scary than a country lane where there's not much traffic, but they are going fast. If you come to a bend with a pot hole and have to move out to avoid it, you could get hit by a careless driver. I had one beep at me as I overtook cars parked just downhilll from a bend that goes over a bridge. I think he was going a bit fast and didn't expect me, but I was in the right. He shouldn't have beeped me, it was in anger not warning.