Bugging out in the UK

Homes and Retreats
jansman

Re: Bugging out in the UK

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:09 pm
grenfell wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:49 am I think the thing that makes me think of motorways , dual carrigeways and roads in general as routes even for those on foot is historical. The Romans built roads and looking at film from conflicts like the second world war we tend to see people walking along roads often with small carts , bikes or prams. Hopefully without a strafing plane overhead though...
Or if there's no road just form a line anyway. I suppose it is safer. You probably get to know people walking with you. Or are they walking next to a road? Maybe it's too busy to walk on. Image
…or if there’s no road just form a line anyway.

That’s teaching ( telling?) me to walk in a straight line! :lol: :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

jansman wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:13 am
Frnc wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:30 pm https://www.ready.gov/evacuation

"Plan to Evacuate

https://www.ready.gov/kit

"Basic Disaster Supplies Kit
I am NOT taking the mickey about your issuing of government information- that is the truth.

I will take the mick of the above if people think it’s easy to cart that lot above to run away!
Now let me just say I'm not taking the mick. Looking again at the picture of the Syrian refugees was reminded of Jansman's comment about carrying stuff. While it is a very narrow view of a much wider picture looking a bit more closely nobody looks to be carrying anything except for one youngster carrying a hula hoop. I can't even see a bottle of water . They look to be evacuating with nothing but the clothes on their backs.
As I said not taking the mick or for that matter trying to rubbish the kit lists above , I think we here can all appreciate the value of being prepared. It did make me wonder if the ultimate goal here is not so much the survival of the individual but to ease the pressure on governments or NGO's at the end of the evacuation. Those Syrians might have very little with them but they still manage to evacuate/bug out/run away at least reasonably successfully but arriving with nothing means more food , more shelter and so on has to be provided.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

grenfell wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:37 am
jansman wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:13 am
Frnc wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:30 pm https://www.ready.gov/evacuation

"Plan to Evacuate

https://www.ready.gov/kit

"Basic Disaster Supplies Kit
I am NOT taking the mickey about your issuing of government information- that is the truth.

I will take the mick of the above if people think it’s easy to cart that lot above to run away!
Now let me just say I'm not taking the mick. Looking again at the picture of the Syrian refugees was reminded of Jansman's comment about carrying stuff. While it is a very narrow view of a much wider picture looking a bit more closely nobody looks to be carrying anything except for one youngster carrying a hula hoop. I can't even see a bottle of water . They look to be evacuating with nothing but the clothes on their backs.
As I said not taking the mick or for that matter trying to rubbish the kit lists above , I think we here can all appreciate the value of being prepared. It did make me wonder if the ultimate goal here is not so much the survival of the individual but to ease the pressure on governments or NGO's at the end of the evacuation. Those Syrians might have very little with them but they still manage to evacuate/bug out/run away at least reasonably successfully but arriving with nothing means more food , more shelter and so on has to be provided.
No men either from what I could see. I don't know the exact circumstances. They are Syrians. I believe they are walking in or to a refugee camp in Jordan. 60% of the people there are children. Many are orphans.
Obviously most refugees would be carrying a bag of stuff if they could. If we do ever have to evacuate, we can only get our bag if we are at home at the time, or if we have a GHB, EDC, or another BOB somewhere else. You might get a few days or hours warning, or it might be minutes.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Think we can agree that having even a little can make things easier.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

That’s actually a good idea for a topic.

You have a rucksack and that’s it. What would you put in it and that’s only for stuff on the house?

It’s not a bug out bag as that would infer that you would be coming back, this is a farewell bag.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Kiwififer wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:30 am That’s actually a good idea for a topic.

You have a rucksack and that’s it. What would you put in it and that’s only for stuff on the house?

It’s not a bug out bag as that would infer that you would be coming back, this is a farewell bag.
Yes could be a good idea although I think we need to put parameters . For example if you're not going back because the area is becoming uninhabitable but otherwise society is still functioning then I'd say take bank records , insurance documents to make a claim on your destroyed home. If society has collapsed then precious metals , even booze and cigarettes as currency , would be a better idea.
Obviously things like water , food , mobile , and the usual stuff.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Family pictures?

I have a rucksack in the attic but it’s mainly hill walking stuff in it, clothes etc. I would take a lot of the clothes out and put a hard drive of family photos in it. Not practical but a memory of my family.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

grenfell wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:59 am Think we can agree that having even a little can make things easier.
Experts say knowledge is the most useful thing, followed by a knife. Which reminds me, I need to practice my knots and read my first aid book. Also to revise/learn wild edible plants. I think I'll set aside an hour each day to do that.

But of course any gear is highly useful. Personally I like my EGB/BOB to include camping gear. I just added calculated how much it weighs. Camping gear is 3.7 kg out of 12.5 kg total. The 3.7 includes a trekking pole, sleeping bag, closed cell 5 season mat, air bed, cooking pot, stove, fuel, tent etc. I included the pole because it's needed for the tent, but not needed apart from that if going on my bike. If I was walking I'd want two poles anyway. The 12.5 includes waterproofs and some winter clothing extras such as insulated jacket, hat, gloves, and the rucksak itself (1.45 kg).
I also have 4 kg of longer term gear if it was likely to be more than a week on my own.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

I do have a separate bike pannier for the eventuality that I would likely be out without government assistance for more than a week or indefinately.

The contents weigh about 4kg. It includes fishing gear, a folding titanium twig stove, extra fire-lighting stuff, a folding saw with plastic handle, a couple of bits of clothing (winter gear if it's summer and vice versa in case I am still out in 6 months), and a few other bits. If I was in a group I could take other stuff.

If this was the scenario but I couldn't use my bike, I do have a bigger rucksack I got for a festival.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Kiwififer wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:47 am Family pictures?

I have a rucksack in the attic but it’s mainly hill walking stuff in it, clothes etc. I would take a lot of the clothes out and put a hard drive of family photos in it. Not practical but a memory of my family.
I seem to remember a thread quite some time ago where such a thing was mentioned. Not logical or practical as you say but memories are irreplacable.